Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Vegetables (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Peppers, peppers, and more peppers. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/peppers-peppers-and-more-peppers-100511.html)

larry_stewart 08-08-2018 05:16 AM

Peppers, peppers, and more peppers.
 
Having a banner pepper year in the garden, primarily Italian Sweet Frying Peppers.

Ive already marinated a bunch and grilled and froze bunch for future use.

My question is, what else can I do with a mass amount of peppers that would store really well?

thanks
larry

CraigC 08-08-2018 05:39 AM

Canning them would give you another long term storage option.

Rocklobster 08-08-2018 07:17 AM

Pickled

CakePoet 08-08-2018 07:29 AM

You could do banana pepper relish.

di reston 08-08-2018 09:06 AM

Cook them lightly then bottle them - or can them - in good quality EVOO, garlic and salt. The pieces that, in my humble opinion, should be the pieces of pepper cut top to bottom, following the lines that outline the pepper - usually 4 pieces. I preserve them in glass, but that's just the way we do them here, I like looking at them on the shelf waiting to be used!

di reston



Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Dawgluver 08-08-2018 09:19 AM

I'd pickle them. They'd also be good pickled with whatever other peppers, sweet or hot, you might have.

CakePoet 08-08-2018 09:32 AM

There is banana peppers ketchup, a former friends grandmother used to make it and then you could make ajvar relish with it.

GotGarlic 08-08-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by di reston (Post 1558620)
Cook them lightly then bottle them - or can them - in good quality EVOO, garlic and salt. The pieces that, in my humble opinion, should be the pieces of pepper cut top to bottom, following the lines that outline the pepper - usually 4 pieces. I preserve them in glass, but that's just the way we do them here, I like looking at them on the shelf waiting to be used!

di reston



Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

In the United States, it's not considered a safe practice to bottle or can items with garlic in oil. It's almost impossible to kill all the botulinum spores that way.

GotGarlic 08-08-2018 11:53 AM

Giardiniera. https://food52.com/blog/13143-how-to...ka-giardiniera

caseydog 08-08-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry_stewart (Post 1558610)
Having a banner pepper year in the garden, primarily Italian Sweet Frying Peppers.

Ive already marinated a bunch and grilled and froze bunch for future use.

My question is, what else can I do with a mass amount of peppers that would store really well?

thanks
larry

Glad to hear of your bonanza! I'm not doing as well... in Texas, of all places.

For my seasoning peppers, like cayenne and jalapeņos, I freeze them on a tray, then vacuum seal them, and put them back in the freezer. When thawed, they are not as firm and crisp, obviously, but neither are pickled peppers. But, the taste in my foods is identical.

I freeze them before I vacuum seal them because it keeps them from being squeezed, and losing water.

I use them all winter long just as I would fresh peppers.

CD

Dawgluver 08-08-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 1558651)
Glad to hear of your bonanza! I'm not doing as well... in Texas, of all places.

For my seasoning peppers, like cayenne and jalapeņos, I freeze them on a tray, then vacuum seal them, and put them back in the freezer. When thawed, they are not as firm and crisp, obviously, but neither are pickled peppers. But, the taste in my foods is identical.

I freeze them before I vacuum seal them because it keeps them from being squeezed, and losing water.

I use them all winter long just as I would fresh peppers.

CD

I've done this too. Use in salsa or other sauces.

Rascal 08-08-2018 07:11 PM

Do you guys not freeze peppers? We have frozen from last summer in our freezer.

Russ

blissful 08-08-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1558691)
Do you guys not freeze peppers? We have frozen from last summer in our freezer.

Russ


Freezing peppers is great if you are maintaining a freezer and you have room. The electric for maintaining a freezer (or two) can be expensive year to year. I'm moving over to canned for peppers this year.


And I'd like to mention, we are having a banner year with two kinds of peppers. The california wonders (I have 25 on the kitchen table and more on the plants) and the hatch chili peppers (I have 30 or so on the plants). I can't wait to can them.

Mad Cook 08-08-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry_stewart (Post 1558610)
Having a banner pepper year in the garden, primarily Italian Sweet Frying Peppers.

Ive already marinated a bunch and grilled and froze bunch for future use.

My question is, what else can I do with a mass amount of peppers that would store really well?

thanks
larry

Drying them? Make pasta sauce, etc., and freeze it.

GotGarlic 08-08-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1558691)
Do you guys not freeze peppers? We have frozen from last summer in our freezer.

Russ

He said in the OP that he had already frozen a lot. He was looking for other ideas.

Rascal 08-08-2018 08:51 PM

I didn't know freezers were expensive to run. I've got 2 fridge freezer units and 2 large chest freezers.

Russ

GotGarlic 08-08-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1558704)
I didn't know freezers were expensive to run. I've got 2 fridge freezer units and 2 large chest freezers.

Russ

I don't think of them as expensive to run - not modern, efficient ones anyway.

caseydog 08-08-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1558691)
Do you guys not freeze peppers? We have frozen from last summer in our freezer.

Russ

Didn't you read my post??? :ermm:

CD:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Addie 08-09-2018 05:04 AM

Well, you could always make a big pack and ship them to me so I can saute them with some Vadalia onions. Trust me, not one bite will go to waste! :yum:

blissful 08-09-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1558704)
I didn't know freezers were expensive to run. I've got 2 fridge freezer units and 2 large chest freezers.

Russ


If you have an old freezer (1992 or older) they can cost $250-$300 per year, multiply that by 5 years and you've spent $1250-1500.


Newer freezers are more energy efficient so the initial cost is more for you to buy it but then they may only cost $100 per year to run.


Chest freezers cost less to run than upright freezers.



Side-by-side refrigerator/freezers are more expensive to run than an upper or lower freezer on a refrigerator/freezer combination.



If you have a combination of old and new chest freezers and fridge freezer units, 4 of them, you could be spending $1000 per year just for the electricity.


If I can turn off just one of my freezers, the old one, and save $300/year, that's a lot of canning supplies and canned food doesn't cost electricity once it is stored.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.