Curry and pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Would it be too weird to serve, say, chicken tikka masala or malai kofta on pasta instead of on rice and/or with naan? I know that the ultimate answer to this question is “try it and see, coward!” I just would like to know before I try it is if there’s a reason not to try it. It’s certainly not something I’ve seen in Indian cookbooks (or Italian ones, for that matter), or on Indian restaurant menus (Italian restaurants: see above).

Indian food, although it’s gaining some respect here in the States, is still much more popular across the Pond. Is curry pasta something that seems odd or off to you over there? When you hear “baked curry ziti,” for instance, do you think “hmmmm interesting,” “that’s so last century,” “had some yesterday from the local takeaway,” or “the very idea makes me retch?”

No... you can use chapati, poppadoms, Bombay potatoes , roti, doza , Appam and Pathiri with currys so why pasta?

No... you can use chapati, poppadoms, Bombay potatoes , roti, doza , Appam and Pathiri with currys so why pasta?
Well, there’s a question I left out of my post!

I like pasta, and it’s easy for me to chew it, although I usually have to cook dried pasta a little past al dente. It’s also fast, easy, and readily available. And it’s a good magnet for fathers flavors of the sauce, especially if you finish cooking it in the sauce.

So that, for me, is “why pasta.”

PS It just occurred to me that curry udon is very popular in Japan and
Korea. There’s an example of curry on pasta, although udon is quite different from Italian pasta, it’s still a noodle! And Japanese curry isn’t Indian curry; they’re only remotely related. But it’s still described as “curry.”

I make my own and buy takeaway sometimes, curry and rice, not pasta. I wouldn't even try it. Indian is addictive here, I dry roast my own seeds and grind to make my own Garam masala. My tandoori chicken is heaven.

Russ

Well make Japanese curry with udon then.
Also there is minute rice, microwave rice and you can cook it to mush if it to hard to chew.
I make curries most Saturdays, but now I am having a wee break but then we are back to Thoran khozi and Korma , I do a really good black curry.

Also the idea of because the same name, the are they same isnt true. Trust me, you cant exchange Danish pölsa for Swedish pölsa.

Also the idea of because the same name, the are they same isnt true. Trust me, you cant exchange Danish pölsa for Swedish pölsa.
The same, no. I already stipulated that. They’re “remotely” related. And there’s packaged, baked naan, as well as minute rice and instant rice. And I’ll certainly cast your vote in the “what’s the point?’ column. I’ve got to ask alternate question though. Why not? “Just because there are so many other things” has been stated; are there other reasons not to fuse the two? Too starchy, or intrusive, or, I don’t know, it loses the Indian quality?

Well why fuse them?

Also curries are not one thing, there is many and yes there might be one that perfect with pasta but rice suck up liquid better then pasta and that is what is needed in a good curry dish. You need something to absorb the spices and sauce, not coat as pasta do.

Funny, the first thing that comes to mind when curry is mentioned, is Thai curries. Yes, they serve curry with noodles. Of the Indian stuff I've tried so far, I'd rather have Thai.

What Craigsy said.

Think of Singapore Mei Fun, which is angel hair like pasta with veggies and meats in a curry sauce.

I make a Burmese dish that is basically a coconut based curry that is served over pasta ( supposed to be rice noodles, I prefer linguini). Its my sons favorite dish,

I say go for it. The pasta won't make it taste bad, and will be a nice vessel to absorb the sauce.

I occasional put chili over pasta and I love it.

I make a Burmese dish that is basically a coconut based curry that is served over pasta ( supposed to be rice noodles, I prefer linguini). Its my sons favorite dish,

I say go for it. The pasta won't make it taste bad, and will be a nice vessel to absorb the sauce.

I occasional put chili over pasta and I love it.

Love it! I also add sharp cheddar and raw sweet onions.

Little worms?

I'd rather think of it as hair.

Lol. Really skinny spaghetti. That's better.

Try it on the pasta, Joel. See if it affects the flavor too much for you. You know, as well as I do, there is nothing wrong with adventure and trying out new things. Eat what you love!

I see why you are asking. I would be too. i believe that there are some foods that just do not play well together. However Curry chicken and pasta, even the one cooked past al dente (incidentally I hate al dente) for sure will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom