One Hit Wonders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, I recently had the pleasure of having to clean out my basement so I could store more crap that I seem to keep accumulating. While doing this I came across a bunch of kitchen appliances, gadgets... which seemed like a good idea at the time, but were used once, maybe twice, and ultimately found their way into the Kitchen appliance/gadget graveyard in my basement.

So, my question is, what kitchen appliance/ gadgets have you bought in the past, thats seemed like a great idea at the time, but have gotten minimal to no use, and ultimately shoved aside, never to be used again ??

Im not talking about a crappy gift someone got you, but more something that you thought you would really use and it just didnt live up to the thrill you thought you would get. Possibly because it didnt work as well as you like, not worth the effort to set up/ clean up, can do it better with what you already had....

So, the few things I've found so far ( keep in mind Im not anywhere close to having the basement cleaned) would be:

Quesadila Maker
Grilled Cheese Sandwich maker
Flatbread ( tortilla, indian puffed bread.....)
Waffle Maker

The above are all basically nonstick presses that make the affiliated item. All worked pretty well, but none are kept in the kitchen cabinets or counters. Therefore, I have to schlep downstairs, find it, clean it ( cause its been in the basement so long), Schlep it stairs.....

Crockpot/ Slow cooker

As discussed in other threads, Im more of an active cook. I understand the benefits and can see how it makes peoples lives easier. In my case, its impossible for me to leave something in a pot without constantly stirring, tasting, tweaking ... Its like torture for me to walk by a pot and not touch it in one way or another.

Bread Machine

This we used frequently, years ago. I guess the thrill is gone. Also, me having to watch my carbs may have a little to do with it

Air fryer ( not sure exact name).

My wife bought it for me as a present. The first thing she made was breaded, 'fried' zucchini. They tasted great, and cooked in about 10 minutes. We were both surprised by how well it worked. So I asked for more to snack on and she said, thats it. It only can cook like 4- 6 pieces at a time. Now keep in mind we have the bigger , more expensive one. So, it worked well, but to make a substantial amount for dinner purposes was not practical.

Meat slicer .

Yep, you heard me right. A vegetarian with a meat slicer. Ill explain. My wife makes the best eggplant parm. The reason its so good is because the eggplant is cut thinly, evenly and consistent , allowing the breadcrumb to eggplant ratio to be perfect. So, what better way to do this than get a meat slicer. Worked great. No complaints about the machine. But, for as often as we have it, a knife with a little patience works almost as good ( the machine is more consistent , but not enough to go digging for the machine, have to clean it, and then restore it again in the dungeon).

Vegetable/ fruit juicer

Works fine, just more trouble than its worth ( plus, I always forget that I have it, until I go in the basement to get something else and notice it on the shelf). I guess if I really wanted to use it, Id remember it .:)

There are probably others that are buried even deeper in the dungeon. Ill add as I come across them.

There are a few things that dont get much use, but I do look forward to using them when I get the chance. Some of them are seasonal items. Others are just once in awhile items. So these , although not used often, I look forward to using them every time, and wouldn't be on the above list.

Apple cider press
Ebelskiver pan
Ice cream maker
Pasta maker ( hand cranked)

Is the grilled sandwich maker a panni press? Both the meat slicer and waffle maker are within easy reach in our kitchen and our hand crank pasta maker still gets good use. Don't see the need to get an attachment for the KA.

That sounds about right..I have a few we rarely use, also..I use a juicer quite often as I experience gerd, due to a hiatus hernia. when I get a flare up I drink cabbage juice, of all things. It really works..so it is used for medicinal purposes.
I feel the same way about slow cookers..I think it destroys all flavor and texture of meats. Sure, food is edible, but there are other things to eat and ways to cook them...
Bread machines take away the fun of baking bread..I love the experience of the steps required to make bread..the interaction with the dough, etc. the anticipation.so rewarding.
Grilled cheese sandwich maker/panini press..my mothers technique of pressing things down with another cast iron pan or the kettle full of water still stands the test of time...
I like our waffle maker, although we rarely use it..I'm more of a savory type of breakfast eater..give me eggs and sausages if I have the time...
I could go on..but I have to use my espresso machine..now, that thing sees a lot of action..

Roch

We don't have many single purpose appliances around. The few exceptions are a Belgian waffle maker, an electric tea kettle and a pizzelle maker. SO came to the relationship with two crockpots. We gave one away and keep the other for food warming purposes at buffets (which we don't do much of any more.)

We also have an ice cream maker in the basement but that gets used.

So, I recently had the pleasure of having to clean out my basement so I could store more crap that I seem to keep accumulating. While doing this I came across a bunch of kitchen appliances, gadgets... which seemed like a good idea at the time, but were used once, maybe twice, and ultimately found their way into the Kitchen appliance/gadget graveyard in my basement.

So, my question is, what kitchen appliance/ gadgets have you bought in the past, thats seemed like a great idea at the time, but have gotten minimal to no use, and ultimately shoved aside, never to be used again ??

Im not talking about a crappy gift someone got you, but more something that you thought you would really use and it just didnt live up to the thrill you thought you would get. Possibly because it didnt work as well as you like, not worth the effort to set up/ clean up, can do it better with what you already had....

So, the few things I've found so far ( keep in mind Im not anywhere close to having the basement cleaned) would be:

Quesadila Maker
Grilled Cheese Sandwich maker
Flatbread ( tortilla, indian puffed bread.....)
Waffle Maker

The above are all basically nonstick presses that make the affiliated item. All worked pretty well, but none are kept in the kitchen cabinets or counters. Therefore, I have to schlep downstairs, find it, clean it ( cause its been in the basement so long), Schlep it stairs.....

Crockpot/ Slow cooker

As discussed in other threads, Im more of an active cook. I understand the benefits and can see how it makes peoples lives easier. In my case, its impossible for me to leave something in a pot without constantly stirring, tasting, tweaking ... Its like torture for me to walk by a pot and not touch it in one way or another.

Bread Machine

This we used frequently, years ago. I guess the thrill is gone. Also, me having to watch my carbs may have a little to do with it

Air fryer ( not sure exact name).

My wife bought it for me as a present. The first thing she made was breaded, 'fried' zucchini. They tasted great, and cooked in about 10 minutes. We were both surprised by how well it worked. So I asked for more to snack on and she said, thats it. It only can cook like 4- 6 pieces at a time. Now keep in mind we have the bigger , more expensive one. So, it worked well, but to make a substantial amount for dinner purposes was not practical.

Meat slicer .

Yep, you heard me right. A vegetarian with a meat slicer. Ill explain. My wife makes the best eggplant parm. The reason its so good is because the eggplant is cut thinly, evenly and consistent , allowing the breadcrumb to eggplant ratio to be perfect. So, what better way to do this than get a meat slicer. Worked great. No complaints about the machine. But, for as often as we have it, a knife with a little patience works almost as good ( the machine is more consistent , but not enough to go digging for the machine, have to clean it, and then restore it again in the dungeon).

Vegetable/ fruit juicer

Works fine, just more trouble than its worth ( plus, I always forget that I have it, until I go in the basement to get something else and notice it on the shelf). I guess if I really wanted to use it, Id remember it .:)

There are probably others that are buried even deeper in the dungeon. Ill add as I come across them.

There are a few things that dont get much use, but I do look forward to using them when I get the chance. Some of them are seasonal items. Others are just once in awhile items. So these , although not used often, I look forward to using them every time, and wouldn't be on the above list.

Apple cider press
Ebelskiver pan
Ice cream maker
Pasta maker ( hand cranked)
I'm with you on the bread maker - invention of the devil.

I was a competent bread maker before I was persuaded by one of Father Christmas's elves, that a bread maker would make my life easier. Fat chance! The damn thing "did what it said on the tin" but made vile bread. All about speed not quality and flavour. Eventually I gave it away to some poor sap who thought it would be wonderful to have one ......I warned her, I really did!

Not so the ice cream maker. I have two and they are used regularly in summer and for dinner party desserts and sorbets in winter. Their "buckets" are kept permanently in the freezer.

Last edited:
We don't have basements in North Texas -- or most of Texas (and Oklahoma), actually. Yeah, Tornado Alley, and no basements. Go figure.

A lot of folks here fill their garages with crap they don't use, and park their cars outside. That dog wont hunt in my world. My cars NEVER spend the night outside, if I am home.

So, not much room to store unused stuff. If I don't use it for one year, it goes to eBay or the thrift store.

Now, I'd be willing to take that meat slicer off your hands, and pay the postage, if it is getting in your way.;)

CD

Is the grilled sandwich maker a panni press? Both the meat slicer and waffle maker are within easy reach in our kitchen and our hand crank pasta maker still gets good use. Don't see the need to get an attachment for the KA.

The grilled cheesemaker literally is just that. Its the size of about a piece of white bread. Even has a built in diagonal slicer, so after the sandwich is done cooking and you open it up, it is slide in 1/2 ( diagonally) and ready to go.

I do have a panini maker which i do use quite frequently. But in this case, 2 separate items.

I actually want to upgrade my panini maker to one that is a little bigger and a little more professional. The one I have now is good, but im ready to move to the next level, and since I use it frequently , I dont have a problem upgrading.

The stuff I have is the stuff I use, might not use them often but I use them enough to keep them.
I have raclette machine we use a few times a year and that is it, but I wouldnt part with it, it easy to have at hand when guest appears out of nowhere and you need a nice dinner.

I have a lot of kitchen stuff, but I've mostly avoided single use appliances, so everything gets used. My full sized Cuisinart food processor doesn't get used very often, as it's a PITA to clean. The mini chopper is a lot easier to clean, and I'll process two batches instead of pulling out the big one. The mandoline isn't used as much as I thought when I bought it, but still gets occasional use. I usually only cook for two, so a little extra time with the knife is often the easiest way to go.

On the flip side, the rice cooker gets more use than I thought. We eat a lot more brown rice now, as the rice cooker does such a good job without any effort. There are a couple of other rice sides that are so much easier and convenient with the rice cooker.

We recently moved into a smaller home planning for retirement. Packing up the kitchen I took these things to the thrift store

1. Stove top smoker - used once. Liked the pork chops that I made but I'm more of a quick fix dinner person with working all day with kids. I don't want to come home and have to take hours to make dinner.

2. Meat slicer- worked nice but the safety feature required you to hold 2 buttons down to run the thing and they were hard to hold down and still operate the slicer well.

3. Apple corer,spiral slicer (you know that Pampered Chef thing)- used it fairly a lot when I first got it but the novelty wore off and it went into the upper cabinet above the fridge and forgotten.

4. mandolin- I think I wouldn't mind having one but the one I bought had interchangeable parts to do different things and I didn't like how they worked. It was hard to store the sharp blades. It wasn't expensive so maybe if I spent the money on a good one, I would use it more.

5. 3 different ice cream makers- 2 different sizes, one with a bad motor and one with a cracked bucket. We used to make ice cream every summer when the kids were little but now that it's just the 2 of us, we don't eat much ice cream and just buy it occasionally at the store. When we do buy it we splurge on the "GOOD" stuff too and not the store brands.

6. Blender- It was such a pain to get out and clean. My mini chopper came with a stick blender attachment which I use instead and it does the work I used the big blender for so out it went.

7.Mini pie maker-another purchase I thought would be great to use up leftovers in a new way but it was so time consuming to make 4 little pies at a time that I didn't use it often enough. Gone to the thrift store.

8.Electric grill/rotisserie - It made wonderful chicken just like the stores but was difficult to set up and clean. Out it went.

I almost gave away my food saver vacuum sealer but decided at the last minute to keep it. I don't use it as much as I did when the kids were around but I still occasionally will pull it out to use.

So where do I start!

Spike has been the recipient of most of what I have gotten rid of.

Food Saver
Mini Pie Maker
Meat Slicer
Oxo Mandolin
Large and Small Food Processors
Two Slow Cookers
Bread Maker
Waffle Maker
Egg Poaching Pan

And then my Kitchen Aid Mixer with the blade that scrapes the sides and the meat grinder and pasta maker.

That broke my heart. I bought that mixer with the two attachments for the grand sum of $60 at an auction about 20 years ago. My son Poo bought for me the large glass bowl for it. I used it for so many things. But I can't stand long enough to see the top of the bowl and how anything is mixing. It came with a metal bowl that had no handle. I hated it. So I bought one with a handle. Then I received the glass one. I can't even stand long enough to add ingredients. I still have the hand mixer that my daughter gave me. So if I have to sit, I can at least use it while sitting at the table.

I am sure I am forgetting more. But then I have been cooking and buying useless stuff for many years. I just HAD to have them. What Spike didn't want goes to the church each year for their Fair. Although I did put the mini pie maker down in the community room with the booklet. Sure enough, someone snatched it up.

Interesting thread.

I was suspicious of bread makers until, 1998, when my best friend bought one for me on my approval at a Black Friday sale. I was laid up after a serious surgery and wanted to explore the usefulness of this appliance.

Having said this, my bread machine has NEVER been used as the manufacturer suggested. Instead, I used it (and still do) to do the kneading and first rise of my bread dough. Arthritis in both my hands prevents me from kneading for more than a few minutes. Why not let technology do it for me?

Thankfully, my trusty little machine allowed me the opportunity to make more than 100 baguettes for a friend's fundraiser for a college trip to England.

As a result, I can now produce 2 fantastic loaves of toasting bread, or otherwise lovely loaves of bread without tasking my hands.

My two most expensive ones are a Vitamix Pro blender, and a Lem meat grinder, both around $500.

The Vitamix just doesn't get a lot of use with 2 or 3 other smaller blenders around the kitchen (Ninjas, and the like), and just after buying the Lem, my wife found out she had high cholesteroil so the doc said no red meat, so out went my grand ideas of making my own ground beef, lamb, buffalo, and vennison for burgers and sausages.

Last edited:
and just after buying the Lem, my wife found out she had high cholesteroil so the doc said no red meat, so out went my grand ideas of making my own ground beef, lamb, buffalo, and vennison for burgers and sausages.

I hear ya there. Different situation, but same problem.
For the holidays I ran out and got my wife a few brand new, multiple sized quiche pans and one of those mini quiche/ pie makers ( someone else mentioned it earlier). a few weeks later she became vegan, no eggs, no quiche, no use :LOL: Brand new, i dont even think she opened it once ( maybe once). So that is another one I can add to my list.

I seem to remember buying some of that stuff a long time ago and quit doing that. We have a hand crank pasta machine that doesn't get much use anymore. Neither one of us has a lot of spoons these days. We have a drip coffee maker that hasn't been used in a number of years. We switched to using the espresso machine all the time. I have my mother's old hand crank meat slicer. When I lived in Denmark, we used it all the time to slice the heavy, Danish rye bread. I don't remember ever slicing meat with it. I got it home to Canada and found that it was missing a piece. Eventually a friend who works with machining metal made a custom replacement. Now, I just need to find a doohickey to attach it to the table. It attaches the same way my pasta machine does, so maybe I can borrow that piece to use it. Gotta test that soon.

Last edited:
I have often wondered about using a meat slicer to thinly ( 1/32"-1/16") slice cabbage.

Has anyone tried using a slicer to do this this???

I do 1-2 heads of red cabbage a week using a carbon steel Chinese vegetable cleaver, but sometimes I just feel lazy.

I have often wondered about using a meat slicer to thinly ( 1/32"-1/16") slice cabbage.

Has anyone tried using a slicer to do this this???

I do 1-2 heads of red cabbage a week using a carbon steel Chinese vegetable cleaver, but sometimes I just feel lazy.

Those slicers are adjustable for width and they have a hand protector. Should you decide to purchase one, DO NOT buy the one that requires holding down two buttons. It is a built-in safety feature. But if you are smart, you use the pusher to slice the food. And don't be foolish and try to get that last half inch sliced with the machine. That is when you want to use your knife. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom