Phone for senior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
After my fathers passing my mother really needs to cut down on spending. She has land line phone at home, $50, that is totally useless nowadays. Plus she is paying for long distance because she keeps calling the Old Country, that's anywhere between 10 and 30 dollars a month. If I get her a smart phone, which is about $30 a month she can use it for everything including calling International using Free apps.
so the question is what kind of phone to get. I think it would be better to get something big. It must be inexpensive, she doesn't have money to spend. Also she is anti-technology so it must be easy to use.
Any suggestions?

Charlie, look into TRAC Phone service. They offer inexpensive phones with minimal service for really cheap. Perfect for the elderly.

Charlie I don't agree that a land line is useless, at least for those of us who don't go out much. She's just been widowed and big changes like that will be overwhelming right now. She won't be able to handle another loss of any kind.

You could get her a simple smart phone to make calls to the old country and for emergency when she's out, but please don't take her land line from her.

Charlie I don't agree that a land line is useless, at least for those of us who don't go out much. She's just been widowed and big changes like that will be overwhelming right now. She won't be able to handle another loss of any kind.

You could get her a simple smart phone to make calls to the old country and for emergency when she's out, but please don't take her land line from her.
Also, landlines work when the power is out. I don't know how it works where your mother lives, but in some places 911 works better from a landline. They can often see the address from the phone number with a landline.

Also, landlines work when the power is out. I don't know how it works where your mother lives, but in some places 911 works better from a landline. They can often see the address from the phone number with a landline.

That too Taxi..^ I have an ancient bedroom phone that's plugged into the wall outlet. It's the only house phone that worked during the Thomas Fire. Our cell tower burned so the cell phones were useless, along with our house cordless phones.

Read this Charlie...
https://www.aarp.org/home-family/personal-technology/info-11-2013/dont-drop-your-landline.html

Last edited:
We tried to coach my Mother in cell phones, both smart and non, but technology just isn't her thing.
Even with one of those "Big Button" phones, it confused her.

I was to pick her up from the airport once and was waiting, waiting, waiting in the "Cell Phone Lot" with no call ... so we took a couple of cruises around the terminal and no site of her.
I got out of the car, sent DH but into the cell phone lot (they're free dontchya know ;)) and I walked the entire airport.
I finally found her sitting on a bench crying, trying to get the phone to work for her so she could call her daughter to come and find her... You should have seen her face when she looked up and saw me... Not a good day, not a good day for her nor I :( She never traveled again without me after that.

Try talking to her local Telco and see how you could lower her bill. I've done this a few times for her and now her landline is down to about $20USD. Also, keep checking back with them `cuz things do change...

Also, I want to say that an "old fashion plug in phone" needs to be the ones that don't use any electricity.
Mom didn't get that one either, so when we went to visit her in California, I made sure that she had the right one... she said that her "hands free phone" aka cordless, was broken. She'd lost power to her building and they had not notified the residences... :glare:

Last edited:

They also work when your mother forgets to charge her phone or can’t find it.

Been there ... :ermm:

Landlines are not all that people may think they are. A lot of them are VOIP, which means they run on your internet service. If you don't have internet service, you are paying for one for your "land line."

As for 911 service, my iPhone has built-in GPS. If I have a wreck 120 miles from home, and call 911, technology can find me -- pretty much everywhere.

If I fall down, and can/t get up, but my iPhone is in my pocket, I just say, "Siri, call 911).

The new iWatch even has an emergency button to call for help.

But, for day to day use, it couldn't be easier to call my friends, family or business associates. To call my Dad, "Hey Siri, call Dad, mobile." Done. I can do the same with text messages.

Need to make reservations at Tuscan Villa Restaurant? "he Siri, find Tuscan Villa on Preston Road," and an address and phone number comes up, and I can one-touch the phone number.

My 86-year old father has his iPhone connected via Bluetooth in his car. My 84 year old mom reads books on an iPad. Don't just assume your elderlies "can't" handle anything beyond an old land line.

CD

Last edited:
Landlines are not all that people may think they are. A lot of them are VOIP, which means they run on your internet service. If you don't have internet service, you are paying for one for your "land line."

As for 911 service, my iPhone has built-in GPS. If I have a wreck 120 miles from home, and call 911, technology can find me -- pretty much everywhere.

If I fall down, and can/t get up, but my iPhone is in my pocket, I just say, "Siri, call 911).

The new iWatch even has an emergency button to call for help.

But, for day to day use, it couldn't be easier to call my friends, family or business associates. To call my Dad, "Hey Siri, call Dad, mobile." Done. I can do the same with text messages.

Need to make reservations at Tuscan Villa Restaurant? "he Siri, find Tuscan Villa on Preston Road," and an address and phone number comes up, and I can one-touch the phone number.

My 86-year old father has his iPhone connected via Bluetooth in his car. My 84 year old mom reads books on an iPad. Don't just assume your elderlies "can't" handle anything beyond an old land line.

CD

I'm really happy for you and your elderly parents Casey. The three of you are blessed to be sure, but sadly elders who are not so blessed are the norm.

For the vast majority of seniors, a land line is a life line and that's a fact.

I'm really happy for you and your elderly parents Casey. The three of you are blessed to be sure, but sadly elders who are not so blessed are the norm.

For the vast majority (?????????) of seniors, a land line is a life line and that's a fact.

I guess we shall agree to differ. You say "fact," I say "belief." Sure, somebody dealing with dementia or Alzheimer's may not be able to handle new things (or old things, for that matter), but my octogenarian parents "chose" to give new technology a chance.

I didn't make the choice for them... don't rush to make their choice for your elders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDnS4pkmzis

CD

I guess we shall agree to differ. You say "fact," I say "belief." Sure, somebody dealing with dementia or Alzheimer's may not be able to handle new things (or old things, for that matter), but my octogenarian parents "chose" to give new technology a chance.

I didn't make the choice for them... don't rush to make their choice for your elders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDnS4pkmzis

CD

My 95 year old father-in-law uses his computer and internet regularly. But he only has a flip phone for his cell, both for cost and because it works pretty much the same as his cordless landline phones - no added complications. He takes the cell phone with him when he's driving to town or working out around the farmyard or shop. He has just never seen the need for a smart phone. My mother used her computer until she passed at 89.

But most elderly that I know don't have much of a desire to do anything more than just check email if they even have a computer, and very few use smartphones.

Here's a radical thought. Not all elderly people are the same. Some will embrace new tech and some won't. Charlie will be the best judge of that.

Of coarse that's obviously true!

It's also dependent on the state of mind at the time. Charlie's newly widowed Mom is fragile right now.

Remembering when I was newly widowed and being overwhelmed with life changes, the last thing I would have wanted was yet another life altering change. At some point she may, or may not, be willing and able to embrace modern technology.

Charlie, you're quite welcome for the link of resources. I'm wishing both of you the very best.

Of coarse that's obviously true!

It's also dependent on the state of mind at the time. Charlie's newly widowed Mom is fragile right now.

Remembering when I was newly widowed and being overwhelmed with life changes, the last thing I would have wanted was yet another life altering change. At some point she may, or may not, be willing and able to embrace modern technology.

Charlie, you're quite welcome for the link of resources. I'm wishing both of you the very best.
+++1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom