Great Tuna Casserole Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imp

Assistant Cook
My Mother made the most wonderful baked Tuna Casserole I've ever tasted. All I can remember from when I was a kid is that there were no noodles or pasta in it, I think maybe potatoes (my wife says emphatically "NO"!) were the bulk of it, cut up in small chunks, maybe some kind of thick stuff which served like "gravy" (cream soup?), crumbled crackers sprinkled on top, along with cheese, I'm almost certain.

Can anyone come up with a similar recipe? I've tried, haphazardly of course, tasted only OK.

Thanks! imp

I don't think I have ever had a tuna casserole that isn't pasta based. I guess potatoes would work, and I'm pretty sure rice would work.

CD

Himself had a tuna casserole recipe since his college days that we still both enjoy. It's "minute rice" (although I buy mine at Aldi for half the price), tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and canned mixed veggies. Very 60's, and Fridays in Lent approved. Your cracker crumbs on top of Himself's casserole might be a nice change. I often sprinkle the top with grated cheddar cheese the last five minutes of baking.

Reactions: imp
My mother always put cauliflower in her Tuna Casserole, but also used noodles. My family loves it that way, and I also add peas and carrots.

If you google "tuna casserole with potatoes" you will get a long list. You can look through them and see if any sound like what your mother made. I saw one called Scalloped Potatoes with Tuna. That might have been it. And also "low carb tuna casserole" will give a lot of other suggestions. The choices are endless!

Last edited:
I developed this recipe for a contest on an international chef's message board. The challenge was to create the most labor intensive recipe for a standard dish using the most expensive ingredients possible. I replaced the standard peas with green beans (haricot verts) because one member mentioned she didn't like peas in her tuna casserole.

New Age Tuna Noodle Casserole​
Ingredients:
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • ½ cup dry sherry
  • ½ cup sesame oil
  • ½ cup ginger, grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
  • 1 tsp grey sea salt
  • ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lb Sashimi grade Ahi tuna
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • 2 quarts chicken stock
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • ½ cup celery, chopped
  • 1 shallot, diced
  • 1 ½ cups haricot verts
  • 1 clove of garlic, peeled
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup camembert cheese, diced
  • 4 ounces dry white wine
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
  • ¼ cup carrot, diced small
  • ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small

Instructions:

Combine first seven ingredients (through black pepper), place in a plastic zipper bag, add the tuna and marinate for one hour. Remove the tuna from the marinade and discard marinade. Place the tuna in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes or until the tuna flakes easily with a fork. Flake the tuna and put aside.

Beat the eggs until frothy. Combine flour, kosher salt, and eggs to form a dough. Knead the dough until smooth. Turn the dough onto a floured cutting board and roll the dough, turning often, until thin. Let the dough dry for 45 minutes, then turn and dry another ½ hour. Cut the dried dough into noodles. Drop the noodles into boiling chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain and put aside.

Sauté the celery and shallot in 2 Tbs butter and put them aside. Place 1½ cups haricot verts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then into an ice bath. Combine the tuna, noodles, celery and shallots in a bowl.

Finely chop the garlic and combine with the salt. Place the egg yolk and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add the olive oil as you continue to whisk. Once you've blended in all the olive oil, add the garlic, lemon, and thyme. Add the sour cream, gruyere cheese, camembert cheese, white wine, and nutmeg, then fold in the tuna, noodles, celery and shallot mixture.

Spoon all of the ingredients into a buttered 4 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with scallion, carrot, and bell pepper.

I developed this recipe for a contest on an international chef's message board. The challenge was to create the most labor intensive recipe for a standard dish using the most expensive ingredients possible. I replaced the standard peas with green beans (haricot verts) because one member mentioned she didn't like peas in her tuna casserole.

New Age Tuna Noodle Casserole​

Very interesting! Did you win the contest?

When Jr was a teenager, he learned how to make "chopstick tuna" casserole. Tuna, cream soup, the standards, with chow mein noodles in and on top. The added bonus was sliced water chestnuts or salted cashews, or both.

I would think sliced potatoes would be a good addition. Sliced, diced seems, well, dicey to me.

Tuna casserole was banned from my world long ago. Bad childhood experiences. Now a piece of grilled or seared, fresh yellowfin over a bed of noodles with a sauce like Alfredo would fit the bill.:yum:

Tuna casserole was banned from my world long ago. Bad childhood experiences. Now a piece of grilled or seared, fresh yellowfin over a bed of noodles with a sauce like Alfredo would fit the bill.:yum:
Same here. And, I never even had it as a child. I just smelled it at other kids' homes or the school cafeteria several times and that smell made me nauseous. My mum never made it. It's not a Scandinavian thing.

I posted this recipe here several years ago, and although it's intended to be served over rice, mashed potatoes, noodles or toast it would adapt to a casserole well by adding one of those starches and topping it with buttered Panko crumbs or..whatever. It's really quite tasty...

My Fancy Creamed Tuna

1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped

4 Tbs. butter or margarine
4 Tbs. flour

2 cups of whole milk, or 1 C. of canned milk with 1 C. chicken broth

1 or 2 cans of drained tuna
2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional if kids hate them)

Lemon Pepper, and seasoned salt to taste

Saute the onion, celery and mushrooms in butter till nearly tender. Add the flour and cook for a minute or two to cook out the flour taste. Add the liquid slowly while mixing and bring to the simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
Add the tuna, chopped eggs and peas. Gently mix until hot and the peas defrost. Season with lots of lemon pepper and some seasoned salt to taste. __________________

Same here. And, I never even had it as a child. I just smelled it at other kids' homes or the school cafeteria several times and that smell made me nauseous. My mum never made it. It's not a Scandinavian thing.

I understand completely! Yet, for me, a freshly-opened can of Salmon is more unsavorily odorous than Tuna. I make baked Salmon Cakes which are fairly good, tried Tuna, not good.

I posted this recipe here several years ago, and although it's intended to be served over rice, mashed potatoes, noodles or toast it would adapt to a casserole well by adding one of those starches and topping it with buttered Panko crumbs or..whatever. It's really quite tasty...

It sounds simply great! Or, great and simple.....I shall try it! imp

I understand completely! Yet, for me, a freshly-opened can of Salmon is more unsavorily odorous than Tuna. I make baked Salmon Cakes which are fairly good, tried Tuna, not good.

The only salmon I'll eat is lox, nova or gravlax. I do not like it any other way. I do buy canned tuna, but it must be yellowfin packed in olive oil from Spain or Italy. If we couldn't get fresh yellowfin, we will use the canned for Nicoise salad, but I mostly make what I call "My deli tuna special" for sandwiches.

I have never had a tuna casserole. Nor do I hanker for one. I will eat (with reluctance) a tuna sandwich mixed with onion, celery and mayo. But that is as far as I am willing to go.

Back
Top Bottom