Thanksgiving Eve Dinner - 11/21/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Normally, we would be going out for sushi dinner tonight, but there's none to be found in this small town in Michigan - plus, it's DH's birthday today, and I always make lasagna for his birthday, so... we're having lasagna tonight, with salad and garlic bread.

Taste testing the green chile mashed potatoes and one of the pumpkin pies, being baked on the baking steel. Am expecting a guaranteed cooked crust.

I have been taste testing (pigging out) my dishes to take for T Day so I'm not planning a meal tonight..

I must admit tho... there will be pie at some point of the evening.. :yum:;)

Happy Birthday to GG's DH... :clap:

Ross

Mac and cheese my way. Not a normal mac and cheese. You use tasso ham, shallots, garlic, and make a semi-loose cheese sauce using fontina, sharp cheddar, parm, white wine, and cream. Spinach and shrimp are folded in after the pasta. Like last night, not a pretty picture, but very tasty.

Happy birthday to Mr. Garlic and Mrs. RF! :flowers:

This afternoon's dinner was Chinese delivery. Sweet and sour shrimp and veggie chow mein. I knew I wouldn't want to cook after prepping TDay dinner all day and then cleaning up the kitchen, so that's what it was. :LOL:

Thanks for Mrs RF’s birthday wishes!
A little excitement at the restaurant this evening... Manny Pacquiuo walked in with his entourage of about 20 people. “Big frickin deal” according to my wife...:LOL:

I spent six hours making a four hour drive to Houston. Upon arrival, the traditional family eating began. Meatballs and sweet Italian sausages overcooked in jarred pasta sauce, served on Kroger rolls. Can't complain, though. It tasted good.

CD

I made a Thai curry today, partly because I made up two pints of red curry pastes to freeze, and had to use some of it, but also because I had two Thai basil plants in my hydro, and had to take the smaller one out, to let the larger one grow (the small one still had over 1 1/4 c of leaves). I made it with a slightly under-ripe butternut squash that I pulled when I removed all of the plants. I also put the last of the green tomatoes in it - they are always good in Thai curries, with the sourness, though I only get them once a year, when the crop is done.

I didn't have to make anything for TG. I'm usually the baker, but, even though I offered to make that butterscotch pumpkin pie I've made for many years, but only 3 of us would have eaten it - the rest are either diabetic or on keto! Their loss - I'll make it another time, and invite some sugar lovers over...

Last edited:
I made a Thai curry today, partly because I made up two pints of red curry pastes to freeze, and had to use some of it, but also because I had two Thai basil plants in my hydro, and had to take the smaller one out, to let the larger one grow (the small one still had over 1 1/4 c of leaves). I made it with a slightly under-ripe butternut squash that I pulled when I removed all of the plants. I also put the last of the green tomatoes in it - they are always good in Thai curries, with the sourness, though I only get them once a year, when the crop is done.

I didn't have to make anything for TG. I'm usually the baker, but, even though I offered to make that butterscotch pumpkin pie I've made for many years, but only 3 of us would have eaten it - the rest are either diabetic or on keto! Their loss - I'll make it another time, and invite some sugar lovers over...

Ah, go ahead and make that pie, and you and the other two eat it in front of them. ;):-p

CD

Happy birthday Mrs. RF. :D Having bad kidneys, there are so many foods that I can no longer eat, that I love, such as rutabegga mased with butter and a hint of brown sugar, all of the winter squash family, including pumpkin, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and many others.

For the Thanksgiving dinner, I am a traditional Eastern/Yooper Thanksgiving meal lover, with the turkey, smashed spuds, sweet potatoes, bread dressing with onion, giblets, sage, and other good stuff. So I was a little sad about the upcoming holiday meal, though I still have much to be thankful for. So I decided to do some cull nary research, and it seams I can still have most of those things I love for the meal. I can't have much milk, so I used cream and butter, with a bit of chicken broth for the smashed spuds. I used the riser to make them silky smooth. I also used both russets, for their fluffy loft, and yukon Gold for their creamy texture. Tested, they will be a hit tomorrow. The sweet spuds will simply have to be soaked for a couple hours to leach out the potassium, and the potatoes for the mashed potatoes were double boiled for the same reason. Dressing/stuffing simply needs less salt, and smaller portions. I will miss the rutabagas though.

As for the pumpkin pie, I played the idea in my head of using mashed, cooked carrot as a substitute for the pumpkin, did a bit of research, and found a bunch of recipes for carrot pie. I chose a likely looking version, cooked the carrots, and made the filling. I of course had to test it, before adding the raw egg of course, and your really can't tell the difference in flavor.

I love it that I know how to cook, and don't have to rely on others who might bot be able to accommodate my dietary needs. So what am I grateful for; that I was given by my creator a gift for figuring things out, and for my family, my job, my new fly rod (Winston BIIIX 9' 7wt that i just finished building last night, and it looks good. I am so excited!w00t2:) The only down side, and it's major, Mrs. GW is down with a bad cold/flu, and might miss the meal. I will certainly make sure I bring her a plate of the best stuff.

I wish all of you a Thanksgiving day worth being thankful for.

Oh, something to share with all of you who love the taste of Moutain Dew, I took a package each of lemon and lime jellow, and combined them in a single bowl. I drained the can syrup from fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges, and pineapple into a sauce pan, measured it out to 2 cups, and brought it to a boil. I poured that into the gelatin and stirred to dissolve. Chill until partially set, stir in the canned fruit, and test taste. I tastes like Mountain D

And Dew without the fizz, and with fruit added.

Qne yes, I've been tagged to roast the turkey, and have cooked a honey/mustard glazed duck to go with it. Yum.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last Night's Mussels in a Tomato-Garlic Butter Sauce, over Angel Hair Pasta... beside a Baby Spinach/Spring Mix under Ranch Dressing...

Mussels, Tomato-Garlic Sauce, Angel Hair.jpg

Back
Top Bottom