Avocado Smoothie Recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
:mrgreen: Yummy Yummy!

AVOCADO SMOOTHIE

1 cup vanilla ice cream
2 ounces lowfat milk
6 ounces avocado
1 1/3 cups frozen strawberries
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
whipped cream

Cut avocado into half. Put ice cream, milk, avocado, and frozen strawberries into blender. Add honey or maple syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon. blend until smooth. Pour into 20 oz. serving cup. Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle extra nutmeg if desired.

Thanks! Knew you would find one with avacados. I always think of you when I eat them. They are regularly on our diet. I will try this ASAP. Sounds delicious. Love those avacados. Do you have them growing in your backyard? YOu live in Calif. don't you?

Yes, I'm in Southern California, but I don't have a tree, but have friends who do, so we get them a lot. (also was raised on eating them many times each week.)

They are just so yummy, and with only 5 gm of fat per 1/5 of a whole avo, they are the one of the best foods around!

Last edited:
jkath said:
They are just so yummy, and with only 5 gm of fat per whole avo, they are the one of the best foods around!

Why was I thinking they were high in fat? Is it cholesterol they're high in? I thought I remembered reading something somewhere sometime (some memory, eh?!) that there was some quality about them that wasn't overly healthy.

Now that I know differently, I'll enjoy them more often!

Here's some interesting info (from my current issue of Shape magazine): Avocados' fat is the same heart-healthy kind found in olive oil. It also happens to be a rich source of the natural cholesterol-lowering phytochemical, beta-sitosterol. And avocados provide vitamin E, folic acid, citamin C, vitamin B6, riboflavin and fiver. It even acts as a "nutrient booster" for other phytonutrients. When you eat a spinach salad with 2-1/2 Tbsp of avocado, you absorb 13-1/2 times more beta carotene and four times more lutein than if you ate the same salad without the avo added.

jkath, you like the Shape magazine? I see it so often but confuses me when there are so many to chose from. Have you been getting it long? Which issue had the article with avacados.

Shape is good, as it's more about normal health than "lose 30 pounds overnight" type mags. It's also a good helper for exercise plans, and this month has a really good article about personal training (they spotlighted LA fitness, which is my gym, only in a different city in California). The food/recipe areas aren't as plentiful as I'd like, but they are good. The avo info is from the current issue (may 2005). It's in the article called "good-news shockers", regarding truth about 6 foods that a lot of folks stay away from. There's info about Cauliflower, White Rice, Mushrooms, Dark Chocolate and Popcorn, besides the avo. There's recipe ideas for those items, as well as their normal recipe pages with Turkey as the highlighted feature.

Shape

Thanks for the response. Sounds pretty good. When you go to a gym, do you have to have someone like personal trainer give you instructions? I often see these places but my only exercise is what I do at home or else my walking. I believe the weight training is really important. Helps with everything.

yes, as a matter of fact. I went through 2 months, 3x/week with a personal trainer and now I'm on my own. I'll be using training sessions now and then to keep up and to go into different routines. It's well worth the $$, and it got me so motivated that if I even skip the gym for one day I feel guilty! The most change I've seen has been from the stairmaster (leg lifts on that one for 20 min. per day), the free weights for biceps & triceps and the abdominal exercises (all on mats). Everything else is great, but those have done a ton!

Incentive

You go, girl! Only way to do it!! I admire your incentive to take it upon yourself to get moving. If you don't no one will do it for you. Doing it as part of your daily routine gives you such energy that you surprise yourself how much you accomplish. My idol is Jack LaLanne. To still have people look at you when you are his age is impressive. No drug can give you the feeling you get when you move yourself. jkath, thanks for your input. It should make us all get off the couch. Keep on eating those avocados. They must be doing something for you. There was a time when I experienced the same feeling. However, there are priorities in one's life that will not allow personal freedom. Family conditions require your attention as well as animals who have diabetes, arthritis, etc. They are worth my sacrifice of the exercise I so desire. Enjoy it and know you are taking care of yourself. Thanks again for sharing. Your posts are always interesting. Makes me happy to know people are taking care of themselves.

Interesting recipe jkath .... but can you actually taste the avocado? It seems the maple syrup, strawberries, nutmeg and cinnamon would wipe out the flavor of the avocado. I can see where the avocado would provide texture ....

For those wondering about the nutritional info of an avocado:

1 Tablespoon (14g) has 30 Calories and 3g fat.

1 Tablespoon of butter has 100 Calories and 11g fat.

1 Tablespoon Hellmans Mayo has 90 Calories and 10g fat.

Back
Top Bottom