Bleached Flour; Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Several months ago, I was shopping at the dollar store. Flour was on sale and I needed some, so I got a five lb bag. I wasn’t really paying attention, so I was surprised and a little upset with myself when I got it home and realized it was bleached flour. It’s been sitting in my cupboard, unopened, ever since.

What is the point of bleached flour? Why is it still produced? Are there recipes that specify “3 cups of bleached flour?” I googled it and read several articles about it; none had anything good to say about it. In fact, 90% of the articles called it dangerous because of the toxic and carcinogenic chemicals that are used in the bleaching process. It takes less time to produce, so it’s cheaper. That’s about the only positive thing that was said about it. One article claimed that because of its finer texture, it is good in cakes and quick breads, but that seems to be a very specious argument for using it. “The texture of these cupcakes is so lovely and soft! Of course, consuming them may very well give you cancer. Care for another?”

I guess I really don’t have a question here. Perhaps I should have posted this in petty vents. Okay, maybe one question; do any of you have a suggestion for using my 5 lb bag of bleached flour. I don’t need any doorstops...

Joel, when you Google for information about something, what criteria do you use to decide whether what you're reading is reliable or not?

There is a lot of misinformation out there these days about "chemicals" and how terrible they are. Most of it is unproven fear-mongering and/or lack of understanding.

Show me a few of the articles you read and I'll let you know what I think - although it might be a while, since it's Christmas Eve ;) In the meantime, use the flour for whatever you bought it for. It's not going to kill you.

I see little practical difference between bleached and unbleached. I guess white is a prettier color than light beige.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the flour.

When you are baking, you could just use it for dusting the work area. Rolling out a sheet of pie dough comes to mind. Or...

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/stories/10-clever-ways-to-use-flour-other-than-eating

I don[t know if you have any children or grandkids, but there are some great suggestion at this site.

I simply Googled "Uses for flour other than food." There are a lot of sites there, but most of them are a repeat of this site. Take a looksee.

...What is the point of bleached flour? Why is it still produced? Are there recipes that specify “3 cups of bleached flour?” I googled it and read several articles about it; none had anything good to say about it. In fact, 90% of the articles called it dangerous because of the toxic and carcinogenic chemicals that are used in the bleaching process...
If I were you, I'd worry more about getting cancer from breathing in Vegas air than eating a bit of a bleached flour pastry.

When baking cakes, the finished product is affected by the flour used. For light baked goods, bleached flour (especially cake flour) results in more lift. For all the down-and-dirty details, this article (and Stella Parks replies to queries in the "Comments" section) explains the whys and hows of using cake flour, a bleached flour.
Why You'll Never Find Unbleached Cake Flour in My Pantry

If you really don't want to consume the flour, make salt dough from it!
Salt Dough Ornaments

When you are baking, you could just use it for dusting the work area. Rolling out a sheet of pie dough comes to mind. Or...

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/stories/10-clever-ways-to-use-flour-other-than-eating

I don[t know if you have any children or grandkids, but there are some great suggestion at this site.

I simply Googled "Uses for flour other than food." There are a lot of sites there, but most of them are a repeat of this site. Take a looksee.
Some great ideas. Really fun! Thanks, Addie!

If I were you, I'd worry more about getting cancer from breathing in Vegas air than eating a bit of a bleached flour pastry.

When baking cakes, the finished product is affected by the flour used. For light baked goods, bleached flour (especially cake flour) results in more lift. For all the down-and-dirty details, this article (and Stella Parks replies to queries in the "Comments" section) explains the whys and hows of using cake flour, a bleached flour.
Why You'll Never Find Unbleached Cake Flour in My Pantry

If you really don't want to consume the flour, make salt dough from it!
Salt Dough Ornaments
Very interesting article. Maybe I’ll keep that 5 lb in my pantry, after all. Thanks!

The first time I tried making angel food cake, I used soft whole grain wheat flour. It worked beautifully. It rose to about 6" tall and didn't collapse. I have tried since then and it never worked anywhere near that well again.

I have a question, related to this (I think).

Some know that I have only been baking since I came across desserts for 2 recipes..

I really, really adhere to the various recipes I've found and the cakes I bake are very good except..

I have never been able to make a cake as light and fluffy as those when I use a boxed cake mix or pick up a cake in a grocery store or bakery..

Also... None of my recipes call for cake flour..

The question... Should I be using cake flour in my 'for two' recipes?

Ross

Some know that I have only been baking since I came across desserts for 2 recipes..

I really, really adhere to the various recipes I've found and the cakes I bake are very good except..

I have never been able to make a cake as light and fluffy as those when I use a boxed cake mix or pick up a cake in a grocery store or bakery..

Ross
It depends on the type of cake you're making. Stella Parks, aka Bravetart, the pastry chef at Serious Eats, describes how cake flour is different from all-purpose and when she chooses which; you also might want to check how much protein is in the all-purpose flour you use. Look for the cake flour section, although the rest of this article is very good, too.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/10/basic-essential-baking-ingredients.html

Last edited:

Ross

Certainly. And if that is not the answer to your problems, you can also use the cake flour to dredge you fried chicken. Also, the stirring of the dry ingredients just doesn't do it for me. I always use my faithful old fashion sifter with the handle, and never have a problem with high cakes. Flour loves to settle into a pack while sitting of the grocery shelf. Sifting fluffs it up again.

I don't know which "famous chef" started the stirring of dry ingredients, but sifting certainly makes a big difference. My granddaughter works in supermarket in the kitchen. She decorates the cakes that are ordered for special occasions. Wedding, birthday, holidays, etc. But when the baker is sick or doesn't show up for a day, she also makes the cakes. SIFT!

Check your baking powder also. You should be using double acting baking powder. Get a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of baking powder, if no fizzing, toss it and get a new can.

I am not the only one who doesn't listen to Martha Stewart. Besides she has a whole crew who really make up all the recipes.

Last edited:
In a tight pinch, it could also be used to powder your wig!

powder-2.jpg

Also, the stirring of the dry ingredients just doesn't do it for me. I always use my faithful old fashion sifter with the handle, and never have a problem with high cakes. Flour loves to settle into a pack while sitting of the grocery shelf. Sifting fluffs it up again.

I don't know which "famous chef" started the stirring of dry ingredients, but sifting certainly makes a big difference. My granddaughter works in supermarket in the kitchen. She decorates the cakes that are ordered for special occasions. Wedding, birthday, holidays, etc. But when the baker is sick or doesn't show up for a day, she also makes the cakes. SIFT!

Whisking accomplishes the same thing as sifting, so that's what I do. One less piece of equipment I need to make room for. Also, I move my flour from the bag to a canister; that action aerates it as well.

Last edited:
Certainly. And if that is not the answer to your problems, you can also use the cake flour to dredge you fried chicken. Also, the stirring of the dry ingredients just doesn't do it for me. I always use my faithful old fashion sifter with the handle, and never have a problem with high cakes. Flour loves to settle into a pack while sitting of the grocery shelf. Sifting fluffs it up again.

Check your baking powder also. You should be using double acting baking powder. Get a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of baking powder, if no fizzing, toss it and get a new can.

I am not the only one who doesn't listen to Martha Stewart. Besides she has a whole crew who really make up all the recipes.

Thank you.. :)

Ross

The first time I tried making angel food cake, I used soft whole grain wheat flour. It worked beautifully. It rose to about 6" tall and didn't collapse. I have tried since then and it never worked anywhere near that well again.
The bleaching process softens the flour. foods made with bleached flour tend to have a softer texture, more volume and brighter color. It's best for making cookies pie crusts quick breads muffins and pancakes.

The bleaching process softens the flour. foods made with bleached flour tend to have a softer texture, more volume and brighter color. It's best for making cookies pie crusts quick breads muffins and pancakes.
I suppose they might be best by your standards. Personally, I prefer the stuff I make with whole grain flour.

Back
Top Bottom