Trends that should disappear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Alex Beggs from Bon Apetit is hoping that these trends disappear in the New Year. I certainly have to agree with the dessert hummus!

What about y’all? Any trend you’d like to see gone in 2019?

I would like it if all the trendy food that I like a lot would stop being trendy so the prices would drop and I could afford to buy them.

So true. How many of your friends buy okra? Certainly not me. Yet there is a small restaurant in this part of Boston that cooks southern food. Okra is listed in several of their dishes.

I'd be fine with all hummus going away. :ermm:

BTW, if the "W E G E T I T . Y O U A R T Y ." is an example of the "Sans Serif" font he doesn't like... that is not a sans serif font. :rolleyes:

CD

I remember when two of my faves - short ribs and chicken wings - were among the lower priced before they became 'trendy'. I still buy them, but try to get them on sale. There's always going to be foodie trends - it'll be interesting to see what 2019 brings. :ermm::LOL:

I remember when two of my faves - short ribs and chicken wings - were among the lower priced before they became 'trendy'. I still buy them, but try to get them on sale. There's always going to be foodie trends - it'll be interesting to see what 2019 brings. :ermm::LOL:

I wish flat iron steak had never become "a thing." It used to be sooooo cheap. Now it is as much as ribeye.

CD

I wish kale and quinoa would go away. Those yucky-tasting ingredients are in bloody everything these days.

If you go to a restaurant, and the menu is in comic sans... get up, and RUN! :LOL:

CD
Maybe they are just trying to be inclusive. Or maybe someone at the resto needs it. Turns out, that people with dyslexia can read much more easily when the font is comic sans.

Maybe they are just trying to be inclusive. Or maybe someone at the resto needs it. Turns out, that people with dyslexia can read much more easily when the font is comic sans.

Well, there is no science to back that up. Type is a big deal to me. I have an art degree, and spent years art directing magazines, and put a lot of effort into type. I am passionate about it.

Research shows that certain type "fonts" are easier to read than others, as body copy. Size, leading and letter-spacing is also very important. With people who have dyslexia, letter-spacing is very important, and not the same as what is easy for most people to read. What is easier for people with dyslexia to read is not the same as what is easier for most people to read.

Sans serif type is easier for people with dyslexia to read, which includes comic sans. Letter spacing is still way more important. Comic Sans is difficult to space for readability for most people. It is okay for a sentence or two, but not for multi paragraphs, for most people to read. The reason it works better for people with dyslexia is because it was designed to give every character the same space -- a monospace font. Monospace fonts are easier for people with dyslexia to read. Not so much for most people.

To people who like comic sans, I say, "Go for it!" If you like it, that's enough. Just don't try to defend it as "inclusive" to people with very legitimate disabilities.

CD

Here’s a trend this last year that I could do without. Bone broth. What the heck is bone broth anyway? And why did it suddenly become the “it” thing?

I’m not much for making stock or broth at home: I don’t have enough storage space. Does bone broth have anything to offer that stock or not-bone broth are lacking?

Here’s a trend this last year that I could do without. Bone broth. What the heck is bone broth anyway? And why did it suddenly become the “it” thing?

I’m not much for making stock or broth at home: I don’t have enough storage space. Does bone broth have anything to offer that stock or not-bone broth are lacking?

Bone broth=Stock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom