Saturday eats, 1-5-19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
In keeping with my culinary resolutions (to cook things that are already in my freezer) I defrosted some tuna steaks, then gave them a coa of black and white sesame seeds and seared them today for lunch. My boy made a peanut, garlic, and soy dipping sauce while DW made coconut rice for lunch.

After that, I defrosted some chicken sausage and added it to a pot of scratch made sauce, frozen meataballs, and pork rib ends. It won't have time to finish, so I'm letting it cool a bit before putting it in the garage fridge to be finished cooking tomorrow as Sunday gravy.

What are you cooking and/or eating today, the 5th of the new year?

Leg of lamb here, with salads and bread. I did one of my fave sammich, warm lamb with onion and mint jelly. Really good.

Russ

Swap out the mint jelly with a little mustard, and I'm right there with you, Rascal. :yum:

From the deep recesses of my freezer I spelunked some precooked leftover Italian sausage. I'm making crockpot lasagna with baby spinach.

Gf and I did our usual song and dance and talked about going out tonight. But, then we factor our getting home time plus the getting ready and the drive to a decent place and decide it iwill be too late to enjoy ourselves. So, we, too are heading to the freezer to thaw some shrimp and what ever goodies are in there and having a seafood pasta. As of now, anyway. We may talk ourselves out if that, too by the time we get home.

We went to Costco yesterday and grabbed a ro-chicken. Took a package of puff pastry out of the freezer to top off individual chicken pies for dinner tonight. Best part - SO is making dinner tonight.

I can't read the term chicken pot pie without the meme in my head (a meme-worm?) that says "three of my favorite things".

Sans commas.

Instant Pot chicken & rice, steamed broccoli and muffins. I'm going to prep a meatloaf for tomorrow, since I'll be chopping veggies anyway.
informenter-marker-1.png

Instant Pot chicken & rice, steamed broccoli and muffins. I'm going to prep a meatloaf for tomorrow, since I'll be chopping veggies anyway.
informenter-marker-1.png
Every time you post a photo, I see a broken link. Anyone else?

This is the link to the image that's in your post (I put it on two lines so it will show up as text). What is the process you use to add a photo to your posts?

http://www.discusscooking.com/

forums/moz-extension://cf5bd9ee-3379-45f9-8f45-d6e90c64941c/img/informenter-marker-1.png

Last edited:
Was hungry for something from an old-old diner "where grease is peace", located on the edge of downtown. Didn't feel like actually going there, so I made my own breakfast for dinner: Ze French toast buddy. Sausage patty, scrambled eggs, cheese, sandwiched between 2 slices French toast. I used real maple syrup.

This morning I baked two small loaves of no-knead bread from dough I made a couple of days ago, one for the freezer, one for lunch. I included a teaspoon of rice vinegar in the dough to give the bread a very subtle sourdough flavor. For lunch I made some minestrone with the chicken stock I made two days ago from the roast chicken we had (and have a couple of bowls in the fridge for another lunch). For dinner we went to daughter and SIL's and had take out pizza.

This is the link to the image that's in your post (I put it on two lines so it will show up as text). What is the process you use to add a photo to your posts?

forums/moz-extension://cf5bd9ee-3379-45f9-8f45-d6e90c64941c/img/informenter-marker-1.png

I always see a broken link to Iamvics posts as well. Curious to see what the pic is. :)

I was planning to make a batch of split pea soup when I got up this morning, but that didn't happen. :ermm::)

I ended up making a mushroom, asparagus, and onion omelet for dinner. A slice of toasted rye, and a couple of sausage links for sides.

I was planning to make a batch of split pea soup when I got up this morning, but that didn't happen. :ermm::)

Me, too! I have a meaty ham bone looking to bathe in stock, carrots, onions, thyme, rosemary, and 2 lbs. of dried, split peas.

Tomorrow for us both, then? While I finish the Sunday gravy on the stove, I'll render some of the good, white fat from the leftover ham; sweat the veggies in it; transfer it to a crock pot; add stock, herbs, the ham bone, and the split peas.

Wake up 4 hours later to deliciousness. With croutons.

Me, too! I have a meaty ham bone looking to bathe in stock, carrots, onions, thyme, rosemary, and 2 lbs. of dried, split peas.

Tomorrow for us both, then? While I finish the Sunday gravy on the stove, I'll render some of the good, white fat from the leftover ham; sweat the veggies in it; transfer it to a crock pot; add stock, herbs, the ham bone, and the split peas.

Wake up 4 hours later to deliciousness. With croutons.

Yep! I've already got the ham off the bone and chopped, and make about half the amount you're planning, since it's just me. :LOL: I LOVE split pea soup!

I haven't posted any photos. :glare:

informenter-marker-1.png

Back
Top Bottom