Saturday, 2-9-2019 National Pizza Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We didn't get to have our priazzo. While bringing it inside from the grill, Craig tripped and fell, and the priazzo went upside down SPLAT! We, in fact, didn't get any dinner yesterday. It was very early this morning before we got to have "dinner." Craig tried to save the priazzo instead of himself and ended up with a bloody head wound, so we went to the ER. No concussion fortunately, but he's not a happy camper today.
Sorry to hear this! Seems our last thought while falling is saving ourselves! Save the food, catch something breakable - we've all done it! Glad he's OK, except for the cosmetics.

OK, I must be missing the point of cooking a Pizza like Pepper or Ms.M. It seems like unnecessary steps to me. Maybe it's a thicker crust than I make? I like mine thin, and crispy but slightly chewy.

Pepper, that's an unusual way to make Pizza. I've never seen that before. "Learn something new every day".
The deep dish have to be done at a lower heat, for longer (not sure how they do it in pizzerias), and you have to have a firmer dough. I have a recipe in my files labeled "firmer, for thick crust" and another labeled "softer, for thin crust". The garlic isn't always put on at first, but I just love garlic! And it's sort of like a foccacia, and has to be baked long enough to cook through, and get that crust on the bottom, then maybe a little longer, with sauce, to get the moisture out, then the last bit, to melt the cheese. 425º is the temp I usually bake it at, though this time I used 400º, since it was my small convection oven.

The best part of this type of pizza is that cheese that drips between the pan and the dough, and turns crunchy! A friend's son quickly learned this, when they would come over for a pizza night, and offered to help me serve them every time! lol

Deep dish is more filling, so less pieces are required for a meal, and it reheats well. Thin crust is one of those things that must be eaten immediately, unless you want to reheat the oven and pizza stone every time you want leftovers!

Speaking of pizza stones, does anyone here have a pizza steel? This is a 1/4-3/8" thick slab of steel, that, according to one person who got one, performs even better than stones, due to the conduction. However, it is incredibly heavy, the only downfall, according to him - I think he has the 3/8" thick one.

Last edited:
Thin crust is one of those things that must be eaten immediately, unless you want to reheat the oven and pizza stone every time you want leftovers! ...
We find that reheating thin crust pizza is best done on an electric skillet with a lid. We set it to about 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Almost as good as fresh out of the oven.

We find that reheating thin crust pizza is best done on an electric skillet with a lid. We set it to about 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Almost as good as fresh out of the oven.
I have done it in a cast iron pan on the stove, with a lid - sort of like an oven.

I have done it in a cast iron pan on the stove, with a lid - sort of like an oven.
The surface of the cast iron pan or electric skillet substitutes pretty well for the pizza stone. Come to think of it, Little Caesar's uses cast iron pans to make their pizzas, at least at our local one.

We didn't get to have our priazzo. While bringing it inside from the grill, Craig tripped and fell, and the priazzo went upside down SPLAT! We, in fact, didn't get any dinner yesterday. It was very early this morning before we got to have "dinner." Craig tried to save the priazzo instead of himself and ended up with a bloody head wound, so we went to the ER. No concussion fortunately, but he's not a happy camper today.
Geez, med, anything would have been better than the upside-down crowned Craig you ended up with. I hope his boo-boo is feeling better and he's happy again. BTW, how did you guys explain this to the ER staff?

Geez, med, anything would have been better than the upside-down crowned Craig you ended up with. I hope his boo-boo is feeling better and he's happy again. BTW, how did you guys explain this to the ER staff?

The paramedics got to see the splatted priazzo first hand in all its glory. He was dizzy and having trouble getting up, which is why I called 911, as well as the bleeding from where he hit his head behind his ear.

Last edited:
We always pre-cook our thin crust pizzas for a bit on 1 side at around 375 for a couple of minutes, then the other side for a minute or so. Then, Craig cranks up the heat while I take the crusts inside and top them. They only take a few minutes once he gets the heat up. He can get the BGE really hot, over 600 and the Weber can go over 500. In our opinion, doing it that way seems to keep the crust crispier.

With a heat sink, you can cook the deep dish pizzas at a higher temperature for a shorter length of time. When looking for the copycat priazzo recipes, I found cooking times of 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour. With a heat sink, it was 450ish for 20-25 minutes. I had Craig take the temperature in the middle with the instant read before he pulled it off the grill and it was 180 in a pan that was 14" in diameter. Obviously, don't know how it tasted, but the crust looked very similar to what Pizza Hut's pan pizzas looked and felt like back in the 80s and 90s, that golden brown, almost fried looking crust. Instructions were to put lots of olive oil in the pan and sprinkle with coarse corn meal. Hopefully, we can try this again soon, without the same results.

Attachments

• heat sink.jpg
    heat sink.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom