Bringing home wrong or weird items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I went grocery shopping last month and a week ago I decided to make refried beans. Took the bag of beans out and started pouring them out in my hand like I always do to look through them. Then...wait! These don't look like beans. Well, they are. But they're not pinto beans.

I take another look at the bag and I have dried garbanzo beans. :ROFLMAO:

OK, that one was funny.

I go shopping last night (made sure I got pinto beans this time!) and see exactly what I wanted as I walked into the store. Drumsticks! And cheap, too. So I grab a package

Today I open the package to separate the drumsticks to put them in the freezer and what do I have? Not drumsticks. I have chicken breasts. How the Sam Hill could I hold up a package of chicken breasts, look right at it, and think they were drumsticks?

So from experimenting with washing my hair with mayonnaise (don't ask), spilling a glass of water on my keyboard, having the power go out in the grocery store while I was shopping which necessitated a trip out to another store today in the snow, and now having TEN chicken breasts in the freezer, this has been a fun week.

Aside from asking you all what in H3LL should I do with all that chicken, what's the weirdest thing you've ever brought home from the grocery store, on purpose or by accident?

Edited to add, OK, I just saw beer marinated chicken tacos. I don't have Mexican beer, or chicken thighs or tacos, but I do have Guiness, breasts, tostadas, AND tortillas. I'm desperate. I'll grill them in my oven. It'll give the fire department something to do this weekend.

Last edited:
I went grocery shopping last month and a week ago I decided to make refried beans. Took the bag of beans out and started pouring them out in my hand like I always do to look through them. Then...wait! These don't look like beans. Well, they are. But they're not pinto beans.

I take another look at the bag and I have dried garbanzo beans. :ROFLMAO:

OK, that one was funny.

I go shopping last night (made sure I got pinto beans this time!) and see exactly what I wanted as I walked into the store. Drumsticks! And cheap, too. So I grab a package

Today I open the package to separate the drumsticks to put them in the freezer and what do I have? Not drumsticks. I have chicken breasts. How the Sam Hill could I hold up a package of chicken breasts, look right at it, and think they were drumsticks?

So from experimenting with washing my hair with mayonnaise (don't ask), spilling a glass of water on my keyboard, having the power go out in the grocery store while I was shopping which necessitated a trip out to another store today in the snow, and now having TEN chicken breasts in the freezer, this has been a fun week.

Aside from asking you all what in H3LL should I do with all that chicken, what's the weirdest thing you've ever brought home from the grocery store, on purpose or by accident?

Edited to add, OK, I just saw beer marinated chicken tacos. I don't have Mexican beer, or chicken thighs or tacos, but I do have Guiness, breasts, tostadas, AND tortillas. I'm desperate. I'll grill them in my oven. It'll give the fire department something to do this weekend.

It's 8:46 AM here in S. FLa., I haven't had my coffee yet, and this is the first thing I read. LOVE IT, and thank you for a laugh so early in the morning (for me)lol Hope you enjoy the chicken. ;)

This gave me a laugh, too. You have to keep your sense of humor!

Usually, the weird things I have brought home were on purpose, from the Asian market. Countless things that you wouldn't believe are eaten. The weirdest meat my friends and I bought there was pork spleen; never tried the pork uterus, another weird meat we saw there. Then, there are the blocks of blood they sell. When some people go ooooooooooo! when they hear or see things like that, simply ask them "Do you eat hot dogs?"

When I saw that you got the wrong drumsticks, I immediately thought of the Indian vegetable called drumsticks (moringa). But then, most supermarkets don't carry those, so I didn't think you could have gotten those by accident. lol

Last edited:
I've seen some really weird stuff at Asian markets. Sometimes downright scary stuff. Like I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did buy it. But yet, at the same time, I'm fascinated by it all.

There's one fruit I've been wanting to try for many years that I look for in every Asian market I go to - Lychees. Can't find them anywhere. They're so pretty and I've heard their taste is simply amazing.

But yeah, I think the weirdest stuff I've brought home is from Asian markets. Some I had the guts to try and other things, try as I might, I just couldn't do it.

I've seen some really weird stuff at Asian markets. Sometimes downright scary stuff. Like I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did buy it. But yet, at the same time, I'm fascinated by it all.

There's one fruit I've been wanting to try for many years that I look for in every Asian market I go to - Lychees. Can't find them anywhere. They're so pretty and I've heard their taste is simply amazing.

But yeah, I think the weirdest stuff I've brought home is from Asian markets. Some I had the guts to try and other things, try as I might, I just couldn't do it.
Lychees are delicious! I don’t see them fresh very often, not even in Asian markets here, but you can usually get them in a can.

In a can? Hmmm, never seen them canned anywhere. Guess it depends on where you live?
Canned was the only way I had seen lychees, until maybe 10 years ago, when they started appearing sporadically in the produce sections. The Asian markets here have them in the section with canned bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, coconut chunks, and other fruits and veggies.

In a can? Hmmm, never seen them canned anywhere. Guess it depends on where you live?
For a long time, I could only find canned lychees at the Asian market. Harris Teeter carries them now. I have a recipe that uses them instead of pineapple in Sweet & Sour Meatballs.

Hmmmm... I'll have to look for the canned ones, then, although I kind of had my heart set on trying them fresh. But if canned is all I can find, I'll give them a shot.

OMG! You guys aren't making things better! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Blood blocks? *runs from thread*
In the meat section in an Asian market you will find these gelled blocks of pork blood, about 3x3x12 inches, one type sort of clear red, which is uncooked blood, the other looking like a block of cooked liver, and that's the cooked. Never bought that, but I have seen recipes calling for both of them.

In the meat section in an Asian market you will find these gelled blocks of pork blood, about 3x3x12 inches, one type sort of clear red, which is uncooked blood, the other looking like a block of cooked liver, and that's the cooked. Never bought that, but I have seen recipes calling for both of them.

Oh yeah, they love their blood soup and the like. I'm a Bizarre Foods fan and I see a lot of that on the Asian episodes, especially in Vietnam. Pork blood soup where they use the blocks of the blood or they use fresh blood as a thickener for other dishes.

I'll have to stop at the Asian market next week on my way to work and look for the canned lychees. I'm dying to try those things and if I can't find them fresh, then I'll try the canned.

I went to an Asian market recently and looked for fresh lychees. They didn't have fresh but they did have canned. They had fresh longans, which are similar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom