2/13/2019 - National Italian Food Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmm.... maybe I'll make something with that excess basil I have. And I could use some of that frozen Italian sausage I have.

I'll be a day late with my Italian meal, since I've already decided to make shrimp, scampi style, over pasta for Valentine's dinner. Tonight, we'll be eating leftovers. At least the salads will have "Roman"aine lettuce in them. ;)

Hmmm..good timing..Italian here tonight. Although, it is Italian night here about 4 times a week..I have Nagano pork chops marinating in olive oil, garlic, oregano, lemon..going to have that with gnocchi and green beans..(after cookie's post a while back I have been craving those little puppies) Think I may crack a bottle of Chianti..Salut!!

Thanks for the head's up. I think I will order lasagna from local restaurant. Free delivery, $12 for the lasagna, enough for 3 servings, good garlic bread to use for sandwiches. I s'pose I should make a salad to prove to myself, at least, that I am not totally lazy.

I'm defrosting some thighs for dinner, and now I know what to do with them.

Chicken Cacciatore it is, with the last of the trio of new pastas from TJ's that I haven't tried.

No Italian here tonight..

Cube steaks with mushrooms and onions.. Fried corn..
Clean out the fridge with creamy orzo for Jeannie, mac salad for me..

Lemon pie for later..

Ross

No Italian here either. Roast pork tenderloin with a glaze made with fennel pollen, dijon, balsamic and honey. Sides were steamed green beans and a potato, fresh fennel, onion gratin with gruyere.

Attachments

• 2019-02-13 18.43.03.jpg
    2019-02-13 18.43.03.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 188
Yeah, Italian Night is Sunday Suppers here in the middle of the desert.

So tonight its Marie Callender's frozen (from Costco) Chicken Pot Pies, MMM :yum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVWUd6pLA5I

[file video-checkout my channel ;)]

I'm not sure about the side salad tonight, we'll see how we feel.
It was a busy day with doctor's for DH, but I think we're done for awhile now. :cool:

Okay, I'm a cookbook junkie, especially Italian...part of my heritage.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased this book at Goodwill for less than $2US.

I have practically cooked my way through it.

Tonight's offering is Chicken Cacciatora. 'Bout to eat the door off the oven.

Can't wait to put it on my plate.

Last edited:
Skillet dinner here, again. Kielbasa, baby red potatoes, green bells, onions, spinach. I'll reheat everything and scramble up a couple of eggs to add to it, and enjoy dinner after my active grandson Tyler gets picked up. :rolleyes::LOL:

We had homemade sausage soup as well as sandwiches from a local place called Dagwood's.

I had roast beef with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and olives on wholewheat. DH had their banner, Dagwood's sandwich: ham, mortadella, pepperoni, salami, and edam cheese on wholewheat with lettuce, onion, pickles, olives, green pepper, hot peppers, and Dagwood's spicy sauce. They slice all the cold cuts and cheese for each order (after the order is placed). It really does seem to make a difference that the stuff is freshly sliced.

Roma Pizza. Wet dough 70%, hand mixed & 24 hour rest.

39817-albums1064-picture7833.jpg
[/IMG]

I threw together something Italian last night, since it was National Italian food day, and I used more out of my freezer (still not a day this year without something from that freezer!). Originally, I was going to use some of the Italian sausage, but instead I got a pound and a half of ground beef (the oldest, but still only 5-18) and made sort of a sausage out of that, using a recipe or two from an old Frugal Gourmet book, which I remembered had some really good Italian sausage recipes. This one had fresh bay leaf - something you don't see called for much, since not many have it! Also a little wine - The kind of thing I keep a little dry vermouth on hand for - an old Julia Child trick.

I sautéed an onion, then browned the "sausage", leaving chunks, and added a can of crushed tomatoes, some of the trimmed basil, covered the IP, and cooked it for 5 min., letting the pressure release naturally. During that time I diced up two red bell peppers, and sautéed them in some olive oil, adding a little garlic after 7 or 8 min., then set that aside. Then I uncovered the IP, and stirred in my leftover cooked brown basmati rice, about 3 cups of it, and put it on slow cook mode. After 30 min. or so, I added the bell peppers, simmered it 20 min. or so, stirred in another 2 tb of minced basil, and that was it! Here's the finished dish:
Italian "pilaf" by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I only ate about 1/5 of it, so I have a lot of leftovers, some of which, I may top with some cheese.

Our dinner tonight was Italian-ish. BS chicken breast, seasoned and seared. While it was finishing in the oven, I made a sauce with zucchini, onions and garlic, white wine (actually dry vermouth. I didn’t have any wine), seasoned with dried basil, a bit of thyme and black pepper. Finished with ghee and heavy cream. The sauce went on pasta (spaghetti), or rather the pasta went into the sauce, and topped with the sliced chicken breast. Mark gave it his approval, so I’m happy!

We ordered Chinese takeout. I had BBQ ribs, pork fried rice and vegetable & bean curd soup (with some chicken added). No pics.

Back
Top Bottom