Kohlrabi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, I scored 5 huge Kohlrabis from the discount produce shelf ( you know, that shelf in the back of the store where they try to get rid of all the dying crap that no one wants before it rots).

Anyway, they were in perfect condition. I used 2 to make a slaw, which came out really well. I still have 3 left. What suggestions do you guys have to use them up ??

Hi Larry, I have about a dozen recipes. Some hot, some salads, (a slaw one also). I am taking the lazy way out by posting the shortest one. lol If interested in seeing some of the other ones, just let me know.

Kohlrabi Stir Fry (4 to 6 servings)
(Munji) India

2 TB oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 cup water

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and stir one minute. Add Kohlrabi and stir 2 minutes. Mix in salt, pepper flakes and turmeric. Pour in water. Cover and cook until Kohlrabi is tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook until almost all liquid has evaporated.

Source: BA 4-86

I love kohlrabi! I grow it every spring and fall, and it keeps well in the fridge. I frequently use it sliced thin or into matchsticks, and use them in stir-fries, and they stay crunchy, even when reheated. I have also cut them into matchsticks and made som tum, substituting it for the traditional green papaya. One of my favorite things to do with them, to make a delicious snack, is modeled after a Chinese recipe for macerated peeled broccoli stems. 2 c of sliced broccoli stems or kohlrabi is tossed with 1 tsp salt, and refrigerated for at least an hour. Then they are rinsed, and patted dry, and tossed with a tb of sesame oil (or half sesame and half hot oil), and served uncooked. Or, the oils can be heated in a wok over medium heat, and the slices are tossed for just 15 sec, then removed to a bowl - the method I usually use.

The Vietnamese love kohlrabi, so there are probably a lot of their recipes online.

My first experience with kohlrabi was back in the 70s, in the kitchen of the German parents of a friend, and the kohlrabi was cubed, and braised in what seemed to be a buttery cream sauce, with some chicken stock added. It seemed like a cross between a potato and a turnip, and I was immediately hooked, and found out that they had grown these things, as well. I started growing them, as soon as I set up a garden.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom