Dough proofer for the 1%

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I got an ad for this in my email, from King Arthur Flour. At first glance, I thought, how cool is this! then I saw the price!

Would any of you bakers even consider purchasing this? Check it out.

Interesting gadget but not something I would buy even if the price tag listed it at $10.

I make all the bread products in our house and have done so for longer than I can remember.

My proofing box is the microwave. All I do is put a cereal bowl of water into the microwave and heat on HIGH for 4 minutes. I do this a few minutes before the dough goes in. The inside of the oven becomes warmish and humid.

Put the dough in (leaving the bowl of water inside, too), close the door and let the dough rise. The oven easily stays warm for an hour.

To quote Alton Brown, "The only unitasker device/tool in the kitchen is the fire extinguisher."

My oven has a proofing setting, so I use that. I have recommended Katie's method to many people. I avoid uni-taskers, too. I have a pretty big kitchen but my cabinets are full [emoji16]

I have one of those, but somebody bought it for me - I think because she heard that I was drawing up plans for a home made version of it, to make certain sourdough breads in, that require a 105-110° proofing. It was a lot cheaper then, but I still wouldn't have bought it. I rarely use it - all of my other breads I proof at room temp - high temp proofing with ueast breads speeds them up, but the flavor is lost, IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom