Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Chicken Parts? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/chicken-parts-101751.html)

Kayelle 02-27-2019 07:47 PM

Chicken Parts?

Joel gave me an idea for a new discussion question.

:chicken:Do you choose to cook with breasts or thighs and why?

:chicken:Is that an exclusive preference?

:chicken:How do you feel about wings and drum sticks?

taxlady 02-27-2019 08:12 PM

• I prefer dark meat. DH dislikes dark meat. So, I cook both breasts and thighs.
  • I love wings; my DH thinks they are too fiddly and not worth the effort.
  • I am quite fond of drum sticks; DH - nope.

pepperhead212 02-27-2019 08:14 PM

Usually thighs, but for things like when I want sliced or matchsticks, as in Some stir fries and soups, I use breasts. I rarely use wings - they've gotten way too expensive, given the amount of meat on them, due to their popularity. Occasionally I will get leg quarters, and separate the drumsticks from them, but usually, I can get thighs as cheap as anything, and they have the most meat to bone of anything but breast. And they have the most flavor, though, of course, some prefer white meat.

taxlady 02-27-2019 08:24 PM

Here in Greater Montreal, boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cost almost as much as boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. I usually cut up a whole chicken. That way, I get good stuff for making chicken stock.

Katie H 02-27-2019 08:25 PM

Whether or not we prefer legs, thighs, etc., our biggest challenge is to purchase poultry that hasn't been treated with hormones and antibiotics. Glenn won't eat anything that has been tampered with and neither do I.

As far as "parts" choices, he's more of a "boob" man and I love, love, love dark meat, particularly thighs, but we strike a happy medium when it comes to how I prepare it. A little for him, a little for me.

JustJoel 02-27-2019 08:26 PM

Breasts or thighs depends on what the dish is. Generally, I prefer breasts, as thighs are a bit gamey for my taste.

I like wings a lot. I don’t like drumsticks at all.

JustJoel 02-27-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJoel (Post 1585923)
Breasts or thighs depends on what the dish is. Generally, I prefer breasts, as thighs are a bit gamey for my taste.

I like wings a lot. I don’t like drumsticks at all.

I do like wings, but I prefer them with the tips removed. When I can, I buy the “drumettes.” If I have whole wings, I separate the tips and use them for stock.

Cheryl J 02-27-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1585912)
Joel gave me an idea for a new discussion question.

Almost exclusively thighs...I love them best for grilling' and for most chicken dishes. Once in a while I'll buy breasts for a particular recipe such as chicken parmesan, or if I'm making a chicken salad for a pot luck or get together and want it to look all pretty and white. :smile: For those occasions, I usually braise or poach them.

Wings...yes! A huge batch of grilled or roasted wings is one of my faves. :yum:

Drums....not so much. I don't buy them in bulk trays, but I'll gnaw on them when I buy a rotisserie.

Kayelle 02-27-2019 08:35 PM

We both prefer thigh meat, although SC is a convert from breast meat. He says he never knew what he was missing before. He also enjoys the more flavorful thigh meat cooked to 180 degrees. That's very important I think.

I cook with breast meat only when it's a very quick cook, without danger of overcooking. I like them for a chicken salad for example.

We really enjoy wings, especially on the grill. Neither one of us like drum sticks, although I'll strip the dark meat from them throwing away all the icky bits from a roast chicken.

Andy M. 02-27-2019 10:47 PM

We prefer chicken thighs-bone-in and skin-on. I like them pan roasted.

We sometimes make chicken breasts, both with bone and skin and boneless and skinless. Breasts do especially well cooked sous vide.

We do wings occasionally.

I seldom roast a whole chicken.