Chocolate Chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Are Chocolate Chips A Universal Improvement?

• YES! Give me chocolate chips in everything!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! Chocolate chips are great in the eponymous cookie. End of story!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Chocolate chips are OK in other stuff, I guess.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I just like to eat them out of the bag.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Chocolate chips make a great cookie. I love them, especially with walnuts.

However, I do not think chocolate chips necessarily make other sweet treats better. Lately I see recipes for any number of desserts with the addition of CC where those desserts were wonderful without them.

There's no need for CC banana bread, CC brownies, CC oatmeal cookies, CC carrot cake, etc.

Why say you all?

Last edited:
I'm with you on the banana nut bread, Andy. Himself got the entire half loaf when his sis brought it over and it had choc chips. And I think they detract in brownies.

I like them in other cookies. Also, I make a killer orange-chocolate chip scone that uses the minis. And they are one of three ingredients in my Triple Chocolate cake - the others being chocolate cake mix and instant chocolate pudding. Hmm, a good use for my abundance of chocolate chips. Thankfully, that cake freezes well.

Seems some people like them in pancakes. :ermm:

I do like to eat chocolate chips right out of the bag, from the freezer. :yum:

The only thing I bake really well are chocolate chip/pecan cookies. :chef:

CD

I just made a dark chocolate cake that has a filling of cream cheese, coconut and chocolate chips. It was originally a Bundt cake, but I cut it down and made it in a loaf pan since it's just me and Craig.

I like chocolate chips in Hello Dolly bars and sprinkled on top of brownies before baking.

I also like the miniature chips as a decoration on a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.

For chocolate chip cookies I prefer to take a chocolate bar and chop it roughly to make random sized chocolate chunks.

I don't like to find chocolate chips in a dish where they interfere with the creamy mouthfeel of ice cream, pudding, etc...

Being a foodie can get complicated.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Chocolate chips make a great cookie. I love them, especially with walnuts.

However, I do not think chocolate chips necessarily make other sweet treats better. Lately I see recipes for any number of desserts with the addition of CC where those desserts were wonderful without them.

There's no need for CC banana bread, CC brownies, CC oatmeal cookies, CC carrot cake, etc.

Why say you all?

I agree with you 100%. I'll be honest, when I make Toll House cookies, I only use about half the chips that the recipe calls for. I like them best in moderation.

I would never use half of the chips called for in a recipe! That said, I think that it jas been overdone - the use of chips in desserts, pushed by the manufacturers, of course, but also because it's a "quick fix" for many people wanting chocolate in something.

I agree that they are overused. In fact they can ruin the insistence of a nice chewy brownie once the chips have cooled... They become little hard pucks.

I'm with you on that Andy. A friend doubles them in every recipe! From cookies - banana bread (special yech on that one) - pancakes, on and on ad nauseam.

The few times I make cc cookies I also lessen the amount of chips, but then there is probably not a full package because I do on occasion eat them out of the bag - just a small handful here and there... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom