Indian Nan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Has it happened to you? You read something, you get interested, you like what you are reading, you decide you must try. ;)
That is what happened to me. I read something where Indian Nan bread was involved. I thought to myself I must buy some and try. Well, keeping kosher doesn't make life easier. But, alas, I found kosher Nan yesterday, I bought of course. Guess what? Now I do not know what to do with that since I do not remember where, when, what I read about. :LOL:

But hey, I have a whole bag of Nan.:yum:

Any suggestions?

Has it happened to you? You read something, you get interested, you like what you are reading, you decide you must try. ;)
That is what happened to me. I read something where Indian Nan bread was involved. I thought to myself I must buy some and try. Well, keeping kosher doesn't make life easier. But, alas, I found kosher Nan yesterday, I bought of course. Guess what? Now I do not know what to do with that since I do not remember where, when, what I read about. :LOL:

Any suggestions?
Aside from its more traditional use as an accompaniment to curry, naan is great as a flat bread for pizzas and sandwiches!

Any suggestions?
As a student I shared a flat with an Indian girl (no, I'm not insulting Native Americans). She used to hold the na'an in a pair of tongs and hold it over a naked gas flame on the slightly ricketty old student cooker. It puffed up beautifully but it was a bit of a strain on the nerves of anyone who witnessed the event.

You can griddle them on a cooker hot plate or a dry frying pan (do I mean "skillet"?) or put them under the broiler on a gas or electric cooker. I've also seen them heated on a BBQ

I heat mine up over a gas flame, like I do tortillas. I slightly undercook them (as well as other Indian flatbreads) when I make them, so that I can heat up a few, as needed, when I make all that Indian food.

Last edited:
Go to YouTube. Plenty of recipes there along with even making your own if you are so wanting to with or without an oven.

Has it happened to you? You read something, you get interested, you like what you are reading, you decide you must try...I bought of course. Guess what? Now I do not know what to do with that since I do not remember where, when, what I read about...
All Of The Time, Charlie. ALL of the time. :LOL:

Like others have said, they make a great base for pizzas. That's pretty much how we have pizza anymore.

rip pieces off, fold them and use them to scoop your rice, beans, whatever..

This.^ My brother spent a few months in Pakistan recently, and that's how they served the meals. The hosts offered him flatware, but he politely declined and said he wanted to enjoy the meals and customs as everyone else did.

We eat Indian curries here all the time, I buy my naan bread from the local restaurant. It's easier and better. My fave is keema naan, filled with minced lamb, beautiful. It soaks up,the curry sauces.

Russ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom