Truth/facts about sugar in pizza sauce/tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I am new here and I am not sure witch section of this forum to post my question in, hopefully this is correct. Someone who I wont name told me that adding sugar to pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce takes out the impurities in the sauce when cooking it and makes the sauce better health wise or more healthy. I don't quite by this and so I came here to ask professionals if that is right. Is it true? I don't want to eat pizza or spaghetti with added sugar in it because I don't want my teeth to get messed up or rot. I like to keep it healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am new here and I am not sure witch section of this forum to post my question in, hopefully this is correct. Someone who I wont name told me that adding sugar to pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce takes out the impurities in the sauce when cooking it and makes the sauce better health wise or more healthy. I don't quite by this and so I came here to ask professionals if that is right. Is it true? I don't want to eat pizza or spaghetti with added sugar in it because I don't want my teeth to get messed up or rot. I like to keep it healthy.
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

No, that person is not correct. A little sugar can be used to balance the flavor of a sauce that's too acidic, but it doesn't do anything else. If you don't think your sauce needs it, you can leave it out. A little bit of sugar isn't going to rot your teeth, as long as you brush regularly ;)

A little bit of sugar isn't going to rot your teeth, as long as you brush regularly ;)

And floss too!!

Just about everything you're going to eat will either have sugar or break down into sugar, which basically feeds the bacteria that will break the sugars down even more to an acid that will do the actual damage to your teeth ( along with any acidic foods). In addition, stickier things are worse than something that is fluid (for example, caramel, dried fruit ...). They adhere to the teeth, making it more difficult to clean.

Sure, the extra sugar would make your teeth more at risk than less sugar. But in reality, if you clean it off after eating ( brushing, flossing and rinsing), there should be no problem. Some people are more cavity prone than others due to the enamel make up of their teeth or even the specific tooth anatomy itself.

I have no idea why anyone would think that. Its not true.

Sugar doesn't decrease acidity but it masks it, thus balancing it out. It also helps savory food taste more savory in small amounts.

Your teeth wont rot if you add a pinch of sugar to spaghetti sauce

Sugar dissolves in liquid. Do you ever eat ice cream? Drink tea or coffee and put sugar in them along with your cream? Even that nice cold ice cream you love so much in the summer has a sweetener in it. Eat foods that have corn syrup in it? (corn syrup is a form of sugar) Read the back on the label. If it says fructose, or any word ending in "ose" then there is sugar in it.

And welcome to DC. Lots of fun and laughter here along with useful information.

Hello and welcome
I've never heard of adding sugar to pizza or spaghetti sauce. I might think to add if the sauce is extremely tart but I've never heard it as a improvement tip. Sometimes I find those sauce to be too sweet and add a little vinegar. But that's just me.

Sugar has long been added to make tomato sauce that is too acidic taste better . The result is often a cloyingly sweet sauce.

The solution to an overly acidic sauce is to counteract the acidity not add other flavors.

If your sauce is too acidic, add a tiny amount of baking soda. Stir and taste. Repeat as needed.

I use it to get a nice balance to my flavours. I also use a lot of butter in my cooking, others use less. I go for taste.

Russ

According to Chef John, butter was the secret ingredient in the recipe for Rigatoni al Segreto, the most closely guarded secret at Gino’s, one of New York City’s most famous Italian restaurants.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/08/rigatoni-al-segreto-thank-you-netflix.html

When I am hungry and want a really quick something, Angel Hair pasta with Butter always does the trick for me. Sometimes I will place the butter in a small custard bowl and place in the MW for about five to ten seconds. It is just enough time to give the butter a head start to melting when it meets up with the hot pasta.

And now on the rare occasion when I make my own sauce, absolutely NO sugar. I save the sugar for my tea.

BTW, do you have any idea of just how many foods you eat that have natural sugar in them? Green Bell peppers have far less natural sugar than orange, red or yellow peppers do. And they are healthier for you with more vitamins and other needed nutrients than green ones. Green peppers are peppers that are picked before they are ripe. Therefor, all the good stuff are found in the fully ripe ones and missing in the green ones.

Sugar dissolves in liquid. Do you ever eat ice cream? Drink tea or coffee and put sugar in them along with your cream? Even that nice cold ice cream you love so much in the summer has a sweetener in it. Eat foods that have corn syrup in it? (corn syrup is a form of sugar) Read the back on the label. If it says fructose, or any word ending in "ose" then there is sugar in it.

And welcome to DC. Lots of fun and laughter here along with useful information.
NO, I do not.

There is a site called eatthis.com. What I like about it is that they look at the back of the label for you and let you know exactly what you are buying and eating. You would be unpleasantly surprised just how many of the foods we buy that have sugar in them. And sugar is one of the worst of foods you can put into your body. Along with any product that ends in "ose."

This site also will tell you which product have the least or no sugar and the best labeled item to buy. Well, worth the reading.

Do you like peanut butter? They found only one peanut butter that had only two items in the jar. Peanuts and salt. Or you can buy sans salt if you choose to. Just creamy ground peanuts.

Last edited:
If the sugar bothers you leave it out or start reading labels until you find a product that suits your needs.

Hunt's makes a canned pasta sauce with no sugar added but it is difficult to find in my area.

Try adding a grated carrot to provide a little sweetness to the sauce.

Also, experiment with various brands of tomato products to find one that suits your taste before you start adding ingredients to make your sauce.

Good luck!

I have end stage renal failure due to sugar issues. Sugar is indeed one of the worst foods you can take into your body. There are so many other good flavors to eat, that added sugar and syrups don't need to be a part of the diet. As was stated, if your tomato sauce, for pizza, or pasta is too acidic (acids have a sour taste, think vinegar or lemon), add a bit of baking soda to neutralize the acid. It doesn't take very much, just a pinch.

I like to use crushed tomato, tomato puree, whole canned tomatoes, or diced tomato as they have nothing in the can except tomato and a little salt. This allows me a clean slate, so to speak, on which I cab build my flavors. Myy favorite brand is DeFratelli.

A little sugar isn't going to hurt you. But have pasta, bread, baked goods made with flour, rolled oats, or any grain, and you are ingesting sugars, or starches, which are quickly converted to sugar by the body. This means doughnuts, cakes, pies, and virtually all parties are a double whammy. You get the starches from the flour, pluss the added sugars used to make fillings, glazes, and whatever else goes into that cookie, pie, or pastry. Eat sweets and starchy foods sparingly. Just be aware of what you are eating. Fresh fruits and veggies, and meats should be the bulk of your diet. Fruits and berries that are native to the US, and apples, are great fruits that are high in nutrients, and fiber, and moderately low in fructose (fruit sugar).

As an experiment, cut the kernals off of an ear of sweet corn, and compare the amout with what is in a standard can of corn. You will find that one ear of corn has a lot of corn on it. And corn has lots of natural sugar, and starches, compared to the nutrition it provides. It tastes great, but isn't so good for you. Root veggies ae also high in sugar and starches S be careful of what you eat, Believe me, renal failure is no joke. Diabetes is no joke. Too much sugar will put you there. Mountain Dew causes dental carries (cavities) more than any other soda. So watch what you drink as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I'm so sorry you are in renal failure due to diabetes. Sugar doesn't cause the problem, the fat in the diet causes the problem. Sugar not being metabolized is caused by insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is caused by fat interfering with the insulin receptors and the cells making the insulin.

Sugar is just an indication of the severity of the problem. Many people have turned type II diabetes around by severely restricting oils and fats in the diet. You might want to research some of the research on turning diabetes and then renal failure around. I'd like to see you stay around.

No, sugar does not take out impurities. As already stated, sugar is used to balance out a sauce that is too acidic in taste.

I never add sugar to my sauce. I start off with naturally sweet tomatoes, such as San Marzano tomatoes. I don't need to add sugar.

Start with good ingredients, and you don't have to add things to fix anything.

CD

I have end stage renal failure due to sugar issues. Sugar is indeed one of the worst foods you can take into your body. There are so many other good flavors to eat, that added sugar and syrups don't need to be a part of the diet. As was stated, if your tomato sauce, for pizza, or pasta is too acidic (acids have a sour taste, think vinegar or lemon), add a bit of baking soda to neutralize the acid. It doesn't take very much, just a pinch.

I like to use crushed tomato, tomato puree, whole canned tomatoes, or diced tomato as they have nothing in the can except tomato and a little salt. This allows me a clean slate, so to speak, on which I cab build my flavors. Myy favorite brand is DeFratelli.

A little sugar isn't going to hurt you. But have pasta, bread, baked goods made with flour, rolled oats, or any grain, and you are ingesting sugars, or starches, which are quickly converted to sugar by the body. This means doughnuts, cakes, pies, and virtually all parties are a double whammy. You get the starches from the flour, pluss the added sugars used to make fillings, glazes, and whatever else goes into that cookie, pie, or pastry. Eat sweets and starchy foods sparingly. Just be aware of what you are eating. Fresh fruits and veggies, and meats should be the bulk of your diet. Fruits and berries that are native to the US, and apples, are great fruits that are high in nutrients, and fiber, and moderately low in fructose (fruit sugar).

As an experiment, cut the kernals off of an ear of sweet corn, and compare the amout with what is in a standard can of corn. You will find that one ear of corn has a lot of corn on it. And corn has lots of natural sugar, and starches, compared to the nutrition it provides. It tastes great, but isn't so good for you. Root veggies ae also high in sugar and starches S be careful of what you eat, Believe me, renal failure is no joke. Diabetes is no joke. Too much sugar will put you there. Mountain Dew causes dental carries (cavities) more than any other soda. So watch what you drink as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I wish you the best, my friend.

As much as I love some grilled summer sweet corn, as you said, it is not all that good for us. It is not one of the better vegetables for us, but it is government subsidized, and is found in way too many foods.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom