Fri dinner 4/19/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Fish for us on this busy Good Friday.

I'll be doing baked Greek Cod with Orzo and Lemon, inspired by my Greek thighs recipe. I think it should work well. Roasted asparagus on the side.

What's on your menu tonight?

Mussels with chorizo and tomatoes, salad on the side. I pulled a small loaf of DO bread out of the freezer and will give it a few minutes in the TO to firm up the crust.

The plan is Boston Chowda Company clam chowder and shrimp po-boys, but Himself is back in bed, flat on his back. Could end up being just the chowder, then shrimp something tomorrow.

SO's son is here from Florida for the weekend. She put him to work laying a small area with paving stones in front of the deck stairs/bulkhead. I planned to make pork fried rice and get some egg rolls to add to some hot and sour soup for our dinner tonight.

I started by cooking the rice and putting it in the freezer when he announced he would not be here tonight. I ended up rescuing some meatballs in chipotle butter cream sauce and used the rice I had cooked for the fried rice as a base for the meatballs and sauce.

We went out tonight to a new Mexican (Mayan) place. Our new favorite. A bit of a drive, but worth it. They make guacamole tableside to order/made to your specs. We had a corn salsa as well. Their complimentary salsa was good. Craig asked for some spicy. It was HOLY SH....! For me when I tried just a tiny dip of a point of a chip. He liked it though. I had pork belly tacos. He had sour orange marinated pork fajitas that came out sizzling and remained that way for quite a while. Both dishes came with refried black beans and Mexican rice. Best refried black beans I've ever had. We brought home a piece of flan to split. Craig had draft Mexican beer and I had a couple of tequila mojitos. They were fantastic. I usually only have 1 drink when we go out, but I couldn't resist another.

Our local grocery store had a fantastic sale on bell peppers, so we had stuffed peppers tonight.

I grazed the Internet for some recipes and came up with one of my own.

Browned ground beef, along with onions and garlic, S and P. Added some salsa and cumin. Filled the steamed pepper halves with the meat mixture and baked for a while. Once almost done, I added some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and let finish.

We loved them.

We had some leftover chicken vindaloo from a delivery order of Indian food. It hadn't been as hot as expected the evening we ordered it, and, it had an unpleasant bitter flavour. So, we didn't eat much of it that night. I had some as a snack a day or two ago. It had gotten a lot hotter - appropriately vindaloo hot, but the bitter was still there and possible stronger too.

I figured I would reheat that vindaloo and add some yogourt. So, I reheated the chicken vindaloo and added the yogourt, I served it with sautéed chard and brown basmati rice. It was pretty good. Then my Stirling, my DH, mixed some of the chards with some of the vindaloo and rice. He said that worked well. I tried it. Oh yeah, that worked really well. One of those combos where the result is greater than the sum of the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_191516.jpg
    IMG_20190419_191516.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 127
Today was National Garlic Day, which made me think about a favorite dish, with 24 cloves of garlic in it...and I made it!

It's a Thai recipe, and it's very hot, as well as garlicky. The original recipe used spaghetti, but I usually use spiral, or shells, to trap the bits and pieces better.
Finished drunken noodle dish. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll post the recipe on another thread.

Last Night's Mini-Balls in Gravy with Peas, over P.A. Dutch Noodles, topped with Grated Parmesan... Salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing...

Mini Balls in Gravy -Amish Noodles.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom