Baking with Malt Powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I had some amazing pancakes at a friends house recently and she added some malt powder to the recipe. Intriguing.

has anyone had any experience with malt powder?

I had some amazing pancakes at a friends house recently and she added some malt powder to the recipe. Intriguing.

Only in chocolate milk, what Dad used to call “a malted.” I’m not sure if you can even get them at diners anymore, and ice cream parlors are as extinct as the dinosaurs.

I did see some in Albertson’s the other day. Kinda expensive, if I remember correctly. I may get some, though, for chocolate shakes, and maybe to add to bread dough.

Though I haven't bought it in years, I used to get Horlick's malted milk powder in large jars in Chinese groceries - the best prices on it , at least back then, and Horlick's was my favorite brand.

Then there's diastatic malt, which is pure malt, and used a lot for bread baking, due to the enzymes in the powder. There is no milk or wheat, which is in the malted milk powder.

Anyone remember Ovaltine? That was a chocolate malt drink, right? Do they even still make Ovaltine?

I bake with it sometimes - and usually add it to pancakes or cookies. Not so much in cakes. Recipes with maltose in them brown better, so you get nice color without overcooking them.

It also adds a depth to the flavor that leaves people with an "I don't know what that is, but I like it" taste.

Stella Parks (Bravetart from Serious Eats) uses it a lot.

Anyone remember Ovaltine? That was a chocolate malt drink, right? Do they even still make Ovaltine?

My kids grew up on Ovaltine. My oldest daughter even liked it sprinkled over her cereal. I never had any problem getting them to drink their milk. I think Ovaltine was instrumental in all of them having healthy strong bones.

One side benefit of Ovaltine was "Less expensive!" than Nestle's Quik and a lot healthier.

I bake with it sometimes - and usually add it to pancakes or cookies. Not so much in cakes. Recipes with maltose in them brown better, so you get nice color without overcooking them.

It also adds a depth to the flavor that leaves people with an "I don't know what that is, but I like it" taste.

Stella Parks (Bravetart from Serious Eats) uses it a lot.

Cookies? What sort of cookies do you add it to and how much do you add?

Ovaltine contains other ingredients besides malt.

KA sells diastatic malt powder for bread, and bills it as an ingredient to promote a strong rise in bread, especially with whole wheat flour.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-4-oz-jar

I tried it with DO bread using KA bread flour. I made two small loaves, side by side. I couldn't tell any difference. I might try the same with baguettes to see if there is any difference.

Ovaltine contains other ingredients besides malt.

KA sells diastatic malt powder for bread, and bills it as an ingredient to promote a strong rise in bread, especially with whole wheat flour.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-4-oz-jar

I tried it with DO bread using KA bread flour. I made two small loaves, side by side. I couldn't tell any difference. I might try the same with baguettes to see if there is any difference.

Were you using whole wheat flour?

Yup. Do you make bread? Or are you thinking about starting? I love homemade bread :wub:

I have baked bread in the past. At one point, it was all the bread we ate. It's always on my radar. I keep thinking I will start baking bread again, so I do intend to.

If you buy that white wheat flour, that should be a hard wheat flour, which means it's a bread flour. Red wheat, which most is, can be a mix of soft and hard wheat, but can be all hard, as well. If it's WW pastry flour, it's soft wheat.

If you want to make all whole grain bread, you can add a little vital wheat gluten (I always wondered why they called it "vital"!) ; I often do this with rye breads, using WW, so I can use more rye. But I never had to do it with WW, even using the Pillsbury, which is cheapest around here, and may not be all hard wheat, but it seems to have plenty of gluten.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom