Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Recipe for filet mignon (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/recipe-for-filet-mignon-10227.html)

buckytom 05-11-2005 10:55 AM

whole beef tenderloins from costco get my vote. i trim them and freeze them in thick portions, roughly 2 to 3 inches.
i also agree with using only a little salt and pepper, then cooking on a charcoal grill. they are sometimes served with buttered mushrooms and a thyme/red wine/shallot reduction.
the trimmings from the whole tenderloin get chopped tossed into some butter in a skillet or onto the goerge foreman, then are served to our cats as a treat, or to the stray cats in the neighborhood. haven't seen a mouse in years...:chef:

Andy M. 05-11-2005 11:36 AM

Bucky:

You're a generous guy. I use the tenderloin trimmings for myself!

On another note, I may be in the minority. I prefer my filet mignon pan seared and finsihed in the oven. Other steaks, sirloin strip or ribeye go to the grill.

buckytom 05-11-2005 02:27 PM

i hope you don't have to eat them from a bowl on the floor, andy...:smile:

my cats get upset when i stick my head in between them for some.
(i won't even mention what happens with the litterbox!)

Andy M. 05-11-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom
...my cats get upset when i stick my head in between them for some...

We don't have any cats so I have the floor to myself.

kadesma 05-15-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchef
Try this with your steak.

Rosemary and Port Wine Demi-Glace

Yield: 1/2 – 2/3 cups

Ingredients:

2 c. Veal or Beef Stock
1 c. Ruby Port Wine
2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
3 Shallots, finely minced
˝ c. Leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp. Canola Oil
3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Kosher salt to taste

Method:

Sauté the shallots and leeks in oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the port, and reduce until the liquid becomes thick and syrupy (it should be able to lightly coat the back of a spoon). Add the stock and bay leaves, bring to a boil, and then simmer until reduced by half. Lightly bruise the rosemary, add it to the sauce. Continue to reduce the sauce until approx 1/2 to 2/3 cups remain. Strain into a separate pan, then off the heat, whisk in the butter until it’s emulsified. Season to taste with the kosher salt.

**Because this sauce is concentrated, it is NOT meant to drench the meat in. 2-3 tablespoons of sauce will suffice because the flavor is so rich. You don’t want to overpower the meat.

Ironchef, just spotted this recipe..'ve been into making my own, chicken , beef and veal stock..And have been wanting a good sauce for some beautiful fillets and ribeyes we've been treated to. This looks just the ticket..Thanks..It looks so good:smile:
kadesma

ironchef 05-16-2005 02:12 PM

Let me know how it turns out. One thing I forgot to add in the recipe is that the port reduction, before you add the stock, should yield about 1/4 cup.

kadesma 05-16-2005 06:28 PM

Thanks Ironchef, I'll make a note on the recipe...

kadesma:smile: