What are your favorite, and what brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
What are your favorite sausages, be it hot dogs, bologna, any of the many salami's, kielbasa, or whatever, especially if they are not a national brand. Fo instance, I love the cudighi sausage made by one of our grocery stores. There is also this Baltic bologna sold at another small meat market, in town. Then, as I have mentioned befofe, I love Cher-make natural casing hot dogs. Thuringer is a favorite as well. Favorite brads include, but are not limited to Cher-Make, Volworths, Koegles, and others that I cant remember right now. Pepperoni is my all time favorite salami but it has to be spicy, and with lots of texture. Kielbasa is also a favorite, as is Sopressata.
Ok, your turn.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like a lot of sausages. But, my favorite would be a German sausage I get at a place called Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville, Texas. It is halfway between Dallas and Houston. It is hard to describe. It is similar to your basic smoked sausage, but not as "greasy," and the seasoning is perfect.

My favorite cured sausage would probably be sopressata. I prefer it on pizza to pepperoni, but it is rather pricey. Boar's Head makes a good sopressata.

CD

A Favorite, If Unbranded Sausage

Many little Mexican grocery stores that cater to immigrants have a butcher counter called a Carnicería. And they will always have an in-house ground vinegary spiced fresh pork sausage called chorizo. It is nothing like the cured "Spanish" chorizo usually found in the big grocery stores.
The thread is titled "What are your favorite, and what brands". Perfectly acceptable, maybe even superior blends can be made at home but a brand name would be evidence of inauthenticity.

Many little Mexican grocery stores that cater to immigrants have a butcher counter called a Carnicería. And they will always have an in-house ground vinegary spiced fresh pork sausage called chorizo. It is nothing like the cured "Spanish" chorizo usually found in the big grocery stores.
The thread is titled "What are your favorite, and what brands". Perfectly acceptable, maybe even superior blends can be made at home but a brand name would be evidence of inauthenticity.

Yes, Mexican chorizo is different from Spanish chorizo. Mexican chorizo is great in a breakfast burrito. Actually, it is good with eggs overall.

CD

I buy house brand from Market Basket. A supermarket here in the Northeast. They make different flavored sausages for both Italian, BBQ and breakfast sausages. I usually buy their garlic Italian and simple breakfast sausages. I don't do BBQ.

The one brand I will not buy is Johnsonville. Too many RECALLS do to finding foreign object in their products. Mainly pieces of hard plastics.

+1

And when homemade isn't feasible or convenient, artisanally made sausage.

For flavours, my favourites are hot or mild Italian sausage and a good breakfast sausage.

I have always loved to go out for breakfast and order eggs over easy with breakfast sausages. It was the sausages I love. Every shopping trip you can bet there is a package of them on the list. Market Basket makes the best ones.

Hmmm, favorite sausage?
Well, we have several, so I think I'll categorize them as follows -

Breakfast Sausage: Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Links
Ethnic Sausage: Rego's Purity Portuguese Brand Sausage (Linguica)
Salumi: Boar's Head Sopressata Grande
Main Dish Ingredient: Dickey's BBQ Pit Smoked Fresh Polish Sausage
Housemade: Sprouts Farmers Market fresh Turkey Italian Sausage
(not my house, but the butcher at the store I went to in Southern AZ made fresh sausages without any 'stuff' added in)

Weisswurst. Served traditionally poached with sweet Bavarian mustard.

I grew up in a German-Dutch family and we ate this often. My German grandmother would also make homemade HUGE soft pretzels to serve on the side, along with bacon-fried cabbage and German potato salad. Amazing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom