Voluntary Recall Of King Arthur Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I refilled my flour container two days ago, and the bag was in the recycling bin. It was from one of the recalled lots. It was used to make the cannelloni that we ate two days ago, and the cannelloni the grandkids ate last night. It was also used in the coating of the salmon steaks we had last night. I'll have to wait a couple more days to know for sure that I'm safe, but it appears that the chances of getting sick are pretty slim, as there haven't been any cases linked to KA flour (out of 14,000 cases of flour). Still, I'm taking almost a full bag back to the store for a refund.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, K-GIRL!!

I just dumped a five pound bag into my canister 2 weeks ago :mad:

But how does flour get contaminated with e-coli?

Last edited:
I refilled my flour container two days ago, and the bag was in the recycling bin. It was from one of the recalled lots. It was used to make the cannelloni that we ate two days ago, and the cannelloni the grandkids ate last night. It was also used in the coating of the salmon steaks we had last night. I'll have to wait a couple more days to know for sure that I'm safe, but it appears that the chances of getting sick are pretty slim, as there haven't been any cases linked to KA flour (out of 14,000 cases of flour). Still, I'm taking almost a full bag back to the store for a refund.
E. coli is killed at 160F, so chances are you cooked those foods sufficiently to make them safe to eat.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, K-GIRL!

But how does flour get contaminated with e-coli?
We just had a recall back in May, on the flour sold by Aldi - Baker's Corner (fortunately only bleached, so I never bought it!). When I googled "E. coli in flour", I was shocked at how many recalls there have been. CR had an article about the contaminated flour, and they said that it is probably feces in the fields - cow feces or wild animal - that are picked up during harvesting by machine. I remember a story about E. coli on organic flour years ago, which they were guessing came from manure that had not been composted hot enough, to kill the pathogens.
https://www.consumerreports.org/e-coli/avoid-e-coli-infection-from-flour/

Do you still like raw CC cookie dough? Or brownie batter? I might think twice about them now - before it was just once, due to the raw eggs.

Last edited:
E. coli is killed at 160F, so chances are you cooked those foods sufficiently to make them safe to eat.
That's a good point. I was wondering about how people could get sick from flour, as I can't think of anything using flour would be cooked to a temperature lower than that. But apparently ADM has found some links to e. coli sickness from that batch of wheat, so I'm wondering what the circumstances were.

That's a good point. I was wondering about how people could get sick from flour, as I can't think of anything using flour would be cooked to a temperature lower than that. But apparently ADM has found some links to e. coli sickness from that batch of wheat, so I'm wondering what the circumstances were.
As pepperhead mentioned above, some people eat raw cookie dough, etc.

I subscribe to The Federal Government list of recalled items. I had to return all my meds back to PACE. The Losartan that they had given me in a months supply was on that list. Scared the heck out of me.

When the first time it was listed, I called the pharmacy that makes up my meds each month for me. I called them and was told that the notice to the public was a bit more than a month later. Gee thanks, Uncle Sam. But I still had to send them back. Then again today, there was another notice about them. This is my heart med and the one I really need. I wish they would get it straightened out and solve the problem.

Right now I am in the middle of the month taking my meds and they are just getting around to telling me about them. I have asked to be put on another med from a different company. One that is not on the Recall List.

Thanks for posting this, K-Girl. AP flour is on my shopping list for my next trip out. I've (finally) exhausted the AP I had stocked up with on our last trip to OH. I'll have to be sure to check the codes.

Do you still like raw CC cookie dough? Or brownie batter? I might think twice about them now - before it was just once, due to the raw eggs.

As pepperhead mentioned above, some people eat raw cookie dough, etc.

Oh My! I still lick the beaters and I like frozen cookie dough too.

GG, please tell me that freezing does the job too?

Oh My! I still lick the beaters and I like frozen cookie dough too.

GG, please tell me that freezing does the job too?
No, sorry, it doesn't. It prevents it from reproducing, but once the food is thawed, if it sits at 40 or more degrees F, it will start to reproduce again.

I have one partial 5 pound bag in the pantry. We've had that bag for a while as we tend to buy flour on sale. I checked the date and it's in to year 2020, well beyond the 12/2019 dates in the recall. That makes me wonder just how long ago those tainted bags were produced and how long ago you would have bought them. That said, just how much of it would be left?

I have one partial 5 pound bag in the pantry. We've had that bag for a while as we tend to buy flour on sale. I checked the date and it's in to year 2020, well beyond the 12/2019 dates in the recall. That makes me wonder just how long ago those tainted bags were produced and how long ago you would have bought them. That said, just how much of it would be left?
I'm guessing I bought the recalled bag a few months ago, as I also tend to buy them when on sale. I don't know how religiously stores rotate their stock of flour, as it's not as obvious as other products, like produce.

As most consumers don't use a lot of flour, I'll guess that there can be quite a bit still in pantries.

I was at the store this morning, and all 5 lb. bags of KA AP flour have been pulled from the shelves, even though the offending batches are most likely long gone. The recall was on this morning's TV news, so I'll guess it was done to prevent any confusion among customers.

I would love to be able to afford KA AP flour. But I go for the less expensive house brand. At this time I have done no major baking and use flour only for coating. When food in placed in the pan, the heat is high enough to kill any pathogens that may be in there.

My immune system is very seriously compromised due to my most recent health problems. So I am making sure I get back to my good health where I was before a month or so ago. All foods I eat are now cooked to a safe temperature. All fresh fruits are washed with even more thoroughness than before. Including the skins of bananas. It will take me a month or more to do so, but I won't quit trying.

Market Basket brand it is for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom