6/17/2019 - Monday Dinner Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You beat me on the "Submit Reply" button, tenspeed. However, I'm not wasting my effort at finding something significant about today. :LOL: Here I go:
On this day in 1837, Charles Goodyear patented the method for making rubber. Years later, Frank Seiberling founded the tire company named after the inventor of rubber. This resulted in sports fans everywhere enjoying aerial coverage of all types of events.

We're cleaning up some leftovers: chicken-barley stew, one chicken quesadilla, one breaded pork chop, and various veggies. Hmm, there's so much there that if I make salads, I might be able to stretch those leftovers for two days. :brows:

Kale, romaine, tomato, wheat berries, pinto beans, sweet pickles, broccoli, cauliflower salad with tomato no oil dressing. Tomato soup with whole wheat buns.

You beat me on the "Submit Reply" button, tenspeed. However, I'm not wasting my effort at finding something significant about today. :LOL: Here I go:
On this day in 1837, Charles Goodyear patented the method for making rubber. Years later, Frank Seiberling founded the tire company named after the inventor of rubber. This resulted in sports fans everywhere enjoying aerial coverage of all types of events.

We're cleaning up some leftovers: chicken-barley stew, one chicken quesadilla, one breaded pork chop, and various veggies. Hmm, there's so much there that if I make salads, I might be able to stretch those leftovers for two days. :brows:
I didn't find anything fun, but I'm glad you did. Still, I'm happy I posted first. Otherwise, the menu might have featured the staple of the buffets, rubber chicken!

Ran out of stock so there's a pot of pig feet simmering. Will add some of the meat to ricotta and mint for a spaghetti sauce.

SO's grandson (27 YO) is visiting from FL. I made empanadas for tonight's dinner with salads.

Poor Husband (we're calling him that until he gets better :rolleyes:)
is having a bad day... not the happy camper.
So, he said that he's really not very hungry, but when I
offered him what I call a snack plate, he was all over that! :LOL:
All is faves - Chunked Salami, Parmesan Cheese, Assorted Olives,
TJ's Pita Crackers, diced Tomatoes, diced Cucumber, Cantaloupe slices
wrapped in Prosciutto, diced Red Radishes, and diced Watermelon for dessert.

I think I'll just finish up whatever leftovers I still have.
I'm more tired than I am hungry. :neutral:

Attachments

• P6170005[1].jpg
    P6170005[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P6170006[1].jpg
    P6170006[1].jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 81
I made a country omelette with chopped cheese and garlic chives. We had whole grain wheat toast to go with it. Boy, was the omelette ever good. It's been too long since I made it.

This Plan Didn't Exactly Pan Out

Ran out of stock so there's a pot of pig feet simmering. Will add some of the meat to ricotta and mint for a spaghetti sauce.

Didn't like the way the meat came off the pig feet and discovered mites on the mint.
So ended up with spaghetti with garlic butter, ricotta, parmesan, crushed pecans, and lemon. Wasn't bad for a spur of the moment improv.

On this day in 1837,Charles Goodyear patented the method for making rubber. Years later, Frank Seiberling founded the tire company named after the inventor of rubber. This resulted in sports fans everywhere enjoying aerial coverage of all types of events.

Well, he didn't invent rubber, but he invented the vulcanizing process that made rubber practical for things like tires. But, close enough. ;)

I had some leftover chicken fried steak, so I made a sandwich out of it. :yum:

CD

I knew that, but I was afraid that saying "Vulcanized" would conjure up images of Mr. Spock. :LOL:

Goodyear started playing around with rubber because it was gooey in hot weather and brittle in cold, making practical applications like boots and weatherproof coats impossible. He wanted to figure out how to make rubber stable. From what I found around the interwebs, Goodyear obtained several patents relating to rubber, the first being on 6-17-1837. He got the patent for vulcanized rubber on June 15, 1844. Quite an invention; right up there with Willis Carrier and his A/C.

I knew that, but I was afraid that saying "Vulcanized" would conjure up images of Mr. Spock. :LOL:

Goodyear started playing around with rubber because it was gooey in hot weather and brittle in cold, making practical applications like boots and weatherproof coats impossible. He wanted to figure out how to make rubber stable. From what I found around the interwebs, Goodyear obtained several patents relating to rubber, the first being on 6-17-1837. He got the patent for vulcanized rubber on June 15, 1844. Quite an invention; right up there with Willis Carrier and his A/C.

I only knew the story because I'm a car nut. It's one of those many things I have rattling around my noggin that does nothing to make me any money. :rolleyes:

CD :LOL:

I caramelized onions and made sandwiches on ciabatta rolls from Sunday's tri tip, topped with melted cheese..
Finished the fruit tart (also from Sundays dinner)

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom