ISO Ideas/Uses for ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Not sure where to land this question.

I would like suggestions on how to use these products. Some I have bought and others I am debating on buying.

Any helpfully suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I was down one of the Ethnic Aisles at the food store and found things I never noticed before.
I spied Pomegranate Molasses so in the cart it went. I thought it would be good in salad dressing.

What other uses/recipes have you used it in?

I also picked up a bottle of fish sauce. I picked it up for DD who likes to experiment cooking with new things. Not sure what to use it in besides dressing.

Was looking at Ground Sumac and Za'atar. What are good uses for these?

Not sure where to land this question.

I would like suggestions on how to use these products. Some I have bought and others I am debating on buying.

Any helpfully suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I was down one of the Ethnic Aisles at the food store and found things I never noticed before.
I spied Pomegranate Molasses so in the cart it went. I thought it would be good in salad dressing.

What other uses/recipes have you used it in?

I also picked up a bottle of fish sauce. I picked it up for DD who likes to experiment cooking with new things. Not sure what to use it in besides dressing.

Was looking at Ground Sumac and Za'atar. What are good uses for these?

Have you tried to google these products? Such as "Recipes for Pomegranate Molasses?"

Do this with all the other stuff you asked about.

The problem with internet recipes is that they aren't always written well. I wanted to ask here first for TNT or recipes from DC members that I trust.

Muhammara (Red pepper and Walnut Dip)

Muhammara (Syrian Red Pepper and Walnut Dip)

Wont get rid of much, but will use up 1 Tbs of the Pomegranate Molasses.

I was in NYC a few years back and attended a cocktail hour where they served this dip ( with I think Pita Wedges).

I really enjoyed it. Luckily it was labeled, so I jotted it down in my phone, found a recipe and made it myself

I have made it several times, so a very consistent recipe.

I also have a bottle of Za'atar but I forgot what I used it for. I think it was a recipe from Andrew Zimmern, but that doesn't help much.

Last edited:
Fish sauce is used in Southeast Asian cooking like soy sauce is used in Chinese cooking. It adds a saltiness and an umami enhancement to a dish.

Fish sauce is used in Southeast Asian cooking like soy sauce is used in Chinese cooking. It adds a saltiness and an umami enhancement to a dish.

Sounds like it would be perfect for a salad. Or even egg rolls stuffed with finely diced veggies and lettuce. Use in place of soy sauce. But don't forget the noodles.

Pomegranate molasses, za'atar, and ground sumac are all used in various middle eastern cuisines. Za'atar is usually an herb/ spice mix, though the name is also used for a specific herb - Origanum syriacum - but you probably won't find that in jars. Sumac is a sour component of many of the dishes of those regions. And fish sauce is an essential ingredient in SE Asian cuisines - Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Laotian. Keep it in the fridge - even though it supposedly doesn't need it, unless you use it quickly, it will continue to get more funky in flavor. I always keep my bottles in the fridge.

Last edited:
I was turned on to Fish Sauce a few years ago, right here on DC. Since then I've been using it much more than just in Asian dishes and now I wouldn't be without it. I can't think of specific recipes I use with it but when I'm creating dishes that seem to need that extra "something", fish sauce is often the perfect Umami answer. It will open up a whole new world for you MsM.

Sounds like it would be perfect for a salad. Or even egg rolls stuffed with finely diced veggies and lettuce. Use in place of soy sauce. But don't forget the noodles.
You really don't want to use it as a dip - it's much too pungent for that. It's good as a seasoning in dressings, soups, sauces and marinades.

Bun is a refreshing salad with fish sauce in the dressing that is delicious in the summer.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/vietnamese-rice-noodle-salad-bowl-bun-bo-recipe/

Last edited:
Fish sauce can go in anything to up its umami factor. I use it and/or soy sauce in the majority of savory things I cook.

Its an essential in southeast Asian cooking.

Last edited:
I agree on the use of fish sauce... Its the umami factor..

While I cannot state a particular use, off the top of my head, I will often splash a bit into something I am cooking..

I do the same with anchovy paste..

Ross

Last edited:
I agree on the use of fish sauce... Its the umami factor..

While I cannot state a particular use, off the top of my head, I will often splash a bit into something I am cooking..

I do the same with anchovy paste..

Ross

I used to use anchovy paste more than I do now. I learned the hard way that if you make enough for later, the anchovy paste will make it go funky quite quickly. In those cases I use fish sauce instead. That dip will still be tasty even a week later. The one with anchovy paste will probably not be so nice after a week, sometimes even the next day.

But, as Just Cooking and others have said, fish sauce is good in lots of savoury dishes.

I used to use anchovy paste more than I do now. I learned the hard way that if you make enough for later, the anchovy paste will make it go funky quite quickly. In those cases I use fish sauce instead. That dip will still be tasty even a week later. The one with anchovy paste will probably not be so nice after a week, sometimes even the next day.

But, as Just Cooking and others have said, fish sauce is good in lots of savoury dishes.

Makes sense on the anchovy paste.. I mostly cook small portions for two so, that isn't an issue for me..

Ross

Thank you everyone for the recipes and suggestions. Keep them coming.

I like to use a small amount if fish sauce in my marinades and injections. Just a little adds to the existing flavors and brings them out a bit more.

My Dad had the same huge bottle of fish sauce the entire time I was a kid. I dont think that stuff ever goes bad.

I haven't used it but have seen recommendations for pomegranate molasses as a base for a barbeque sauce or rub.
+1
That's what I was thinking. A little bit added to BBQ sauce or brush chicken parts/ribs with it then a sprinkle of dry rub.

Back
Top Bottom