7/18/19 -Thursday Night Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TS, a gas grill isn't hot enough to sear the meat fast enough to avoid cooking the meat some more. A very hot cast iron pan will do better. A one-inch steak is okay, if you do a quick, hot sear. Keep at it -- you'll figure it out.

CD

Last edited:
Oh, I am just grazing tonight. I am going out of town for almost a week, and need to do some fridge clean-out.

CD

Potato salad with hummus/sweet and sour pickles, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Big salads, steamed kale.

Prepped for a picnic with friends. Strawberry vinaigrette. Danish gingerbread balls. Catalina dressing. Tomato dressing. Garlic lemon basil green goddess dressing. Potato salad. All of the stuff without added sugar or oils--we use some maple syrup/honey. Assortment of lettuce, 3 kinds of beans, quinoa, wheat berries, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, broccoli trees, pickles 2 types, garlic pickles 2 types, mixed pickled vegetables. It will be a mini-salad bar buffet.

TS, a gas grill isn't hot enough to sear the meat fast enough to avoid cooking the meat some more. A very hot cast iron pan will do better. A one-inch steak is okay, if you do a quick, hot sear. Keep at it -- you'll figure it out.

CD

Casey is right on. I use a 12" CI skillet that I heat on high for 5 minutes then add some oil. When the oil starts to smoke, I lay in the steak. One minute per side and one minute on the edges.

We had garden salads and BLT sandwiches on my homemade white whole wheat bread. IMG_20190718_215557349.jpg

I had another raw tomato pasta, this time with an olive pesto, with some green, but mostly kalamata olives, a bunch of garlic, anchovies, and a lot of basil, ground up with some EVOO. I added some kamut and cannellini beans, to add some nutrition to the white pasta. I have almost 4 qts of it leftover, so I called and told a friend, who likes that stuff, that they'd better get over quickly, if they want some. I eat that stuff for breakfast, at this time of year! And any time I eat the leftovers, I nuke it for just 10 sec, to get the chill off of it, and liquefy the EVOO.

Potato salad with hummus/sweet and sour pickles, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Big salads, steamed kale.

Prepped for a picnic with friends. Strawberry vinaigrette. Danish gingerbread balls. Catalina dressing. Tomato dressing. Garlic lemon basil green goddess dressing. Potato salad. All of the stuff without added sugar or oils--we use some maple syrup/honey. Assortment of lettuce, 3 kinds of beans, quinoa, wheat berries, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, broccoli trees, pickles 2 types, garlic pickles 2 types, mixed pickled vegetables. It will be a mini-salad bar buffet.
Sounds delicious. But, what the heck are "Danish gingerbread balls". That really doesn't sound very Danish. I googled and couldn't find any Danish recipes for such a thing.

I made a salad of Boston lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, garlic scapes, broccoli, scallions, celery, and carrots with ranchoid dressing. We added hard boiled (actually steamed) eggs in quarters, and a really lovely local ewe's milk feta. There were radishes, pickles, pickled onions, and some locally made chorizo on the side. We shared half of a huge mango for dessert. I pooped out after making the salad and dressing and had to get help from Stirling for the eggs, cheese, and setting the table.

Bummer. And buckytom's not around for you to make plans for a meet-up either, unless he's given you another way to contact him.

Anyway, safe travels. And may the Delicious Foods Gods smile upon you wherever you eat. :cool:

I missed out on National Hot Dog day so, that's what we had..

Split, fried hot dogs on honey wheat bread, slathered with Hellmans and yellow mustard, topped with thinly sliced red onion and s&p..

I made a small potato salad as the side.. All was yummy..

Cookies and milk for dessert

Ross

We ordered subs. I had hot roast beef, gravy and melted mozzarella on garlic bread.

Back
Top Bottom