ISO: Dipping sauce ideas/recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef_corey

Assistant Cook
I am entertaining this weekend and want to replicate and idea i saw at a graduation party

I am going to grill up bite sized pieces of sirloin and chicken for dipping. The key to making this idea work is have several DELICIOUS dipping sauces.

I figure i can make a honey mustard saice, a teriaki sauce, a ginger sauce, a bbq type sauce, and maybe a hot wing sauce...

I will put the sauces out on a table next to the grill and continuously replensih the meats as required. If the sauces arent GREAT then the whole idea kind of loses steam.

Now i am not againsy buying premade sauces as long as they are on the delicious side.

Any ideas/recpies that you may have would be so appreciated!

thanks in advance

C.

Hi chef corey - long time no see!!! Good to see you.

Here are a few I have, of course you can adjust portion sizes:

Hoisin Dipping Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tablespoon oil for stir-frying
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
* 6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
* 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* a few drops sesame oil

Yields about 1/3 cup

-----------------------------------

Pineapple-Orange Dipping Sauce for Chicken

1 8-oz. can sliced or crushed pineapple in juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup pineapple orange juice
1/4 cup barbecue sauce

1. Pour undrained pineapple into the blender. Place lid securely on blender and process until it's a thick puree. Pour puree mixture into a saucepan and add cornstarch, whisk together. Add pineapple-orange juice and barbecue sauce, whisk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

-----------------------------------

Roasted Red Pepper Dipping Sauce for Beef

Pepper Mixture:
2 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced

Dipping Sauce:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 jars (7 oz. each) roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, finely chopped (personally I like to roast my own peppers)
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
3/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed or 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
1 cup ready-to-serve beef broth
2 tsp. cornstarch

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and 3 cloves garlic; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add red peppers, wine, tomato paste and thyme, stirring until tomato paste is blended. Combine broth and cornstarch in small bowl, mixing until smooth. Stir into pepper mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.

Sounds like you are going to have a good time!

Here are some more unique ideas that go well with grilled foods:

Mint Yogurt Chutney - Grind 1/2 cup of mint leaves, 1 jalapeno, 1/2 bunch of cilantro and 1 juice of lime. Adjust salt. Take one cup of plain yogurt and mix the freshly blended chutney with the yogurt. Use as a dipping sauce.

Peanut Dipping Sauce - 1/4 cup of smooth peanut butter. 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 3 cloves of garlic minced. juice of 1 lime. dried red chilli flakes (1/4 tsp). 1 tbsp of oil.

In a pan, add the oil. Once it's hot add the garlic and dried chillies. Next add the peanut butter, soy and lime juice. Stir to combine and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Another variation on Spicy and Sour dipping sauce - Blend, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 jalapeno peppers, 2 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar together. Add a pinch of salt and use as a dipping sauce (the longer it sits the hotter it gets).

Finally a really fabulous version of my tamarind dipping sauce, without the tamarind. Mix one cup of applesauce, 2 tsp of freshly toasted and ground cumin, pinch of cayanne, 1 tsp of sugar, squeeze of fresh lime or lemon and pinch of salt. Stir to combine.

Thank you all for the suggestions, im going to try my hand at several of the sauces listed.

This place is great!

C.

Back
Top Bottom