First time cooking steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtxlm

Assistant Cook
Hi this was my first time cooking a steak and wanting to know if it looks okay or if it’s safe to eat since i wanted to try a steak that wasn’t well done that i’ve ate my entire life

Attachments

• C6B9339E-2748-49D7-8B45-658A307440D2.jpg
    C6B9339E-2748-49D7-8B45-658A307440D2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 157
  • BDA19ABB-0CC1-41E1-A0D9-60276552E9A0.jpg
    BDA19ABB-0CC1-41E1-A0D9-60276552E9A0.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 125
Not sure what you mean since i’m new to cooking but a pan about 5 minutes each side

Did you use some oil in the pan or season it with anything, like salt and pepper? I bet you "pan fried" it a shorter time than 10 min. total or it would have been more well done. It's looks nicely med. rare to me. Good job and keep up the good work. :chef:

Welcome to DC.

That steak looks great. Congrats. Cooked to a nice medium to medium rare.

Howdy neighbor. That steak looks nicely cooked. I'm seeing a nice crust on the outside, and about medium rare on the inside. That's what I look for in a good steak.

CD

Did you use some oil in the pan or season it with anything, like salt and pepper? I bet you "pan fried" it a shorter time than 10 min. total or it would have been more well done. It's looks nicely med. rare to me. Good job and keep up the good work. :chef:
I put it in a bag with salt and pepper and some garlic and let it sit for about 20 min and use oil and put butter in the pan a few minutes after i set the steak

Welcome to DC. :flowers: Great looking steak - pretty much perfect. Hope you stick around and join in! :chef::yum:

If you are wondering if any meat is properly cooked, you need an instant read thermometer. There are a number of good ones out there, but I have the highly rated Thermopop (only $30), and can no longer cook without it. The "guess if it's done" method is over.

Oh, and welcome to DC.

I’m with everyone else on this one. If you are open to a rare or medium rare steak, that looks pretty spot on. I wouldn’t flinch at eating it.

There are a lot of methods of cooking steaks. Try them out. But right now, it looks like you did a good job with your first attempt.

If you want to stretch your wings a bit, I’m a big fan of Kenji Lopez Alt’s book Food Lab. He addresses steaks and many other foods in it. Pick it up off Amazon or a local book store. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom