Black Walnuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Twenty-two years ago the Elders moved back to MN from Canada. At the time, my Dad planted a black walnut tree. Not sure if he bought the sapling or planted it from the tree that grew in my paternal grandmother's yard. Finally, it has produced some black walnuts. I hate cracking them. Black walnuts are common in Eastern Ontario. So....any tips on harvesting them so my fingers don't turn black and how to get the meat out? BTW, I love the smell of green black walnuts.

Twenty-two years ago the Elders moved back to MN from Canada. At the time, my Dad planted a black walnut tree. Not sure if he bought the sapling or planted it from the tree that grew in my paternal grandmother's yard. Finally, it has produced some black walnuts. I hate cracking them. Black walnuts are common in Eastern Ontario. So....any tips on harvesting them so my fingers don't turn black and how to get the meat out? BTW, I love the smell of green black walnuts.

Wearing surgical gloves would help with the black fingers.

Ummmm!

When I was growing up we were inundated with black walnut trees. Having lived in a fairly rural area that had some less than ideal roadways, we used to take a bucket or more of these (covered with their green skin) and fill all the potholes in our roadways.

By golly, they cured some of the bumpin' problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom