8/15/2019 - Julia Child's Birthday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made stewed tomatoes for lunch (leftovers for tomorrow).

stewed_tomatoes_081519_1_IMG_6112.jpg

stewed_tomatoes_081519_2_IMG_6113.jpg

Put yogurt on last night to incubate (8 hours). Then strained for 8 hours. I made up 12 (1 cup) mason jars:
Unsweetened fruit on bottom:
4 cherry pie filling
4 sugar free strawberry preserves
2 blueberry preserves
2 sweetened with honey, coconut extract added and stirred. Then topped with flaked coconut and semi-sweet chocolate chips

yogurt_081519_IMG_6115.jpg

Dinner was Baby back ribs rubbed with my homemade rib rub, smoked in the stove top smoker (hickory and mesquite smoke chip/dust) then basted with a combo of Heinz Kansas City Sweet & Smoky sauce, Original Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and Pomegranate Molasses under the broiler to create bark. Sides were homemade coleslaw and Bush’s Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans with the leftover rib basting sauce added.

ribs_081519_IMG_6119.jpg

I'm on my own again tonight, since DH is at a role playing game. I had sautéed rainbow chard with a fried egg and a slice of reheated pizza. I'll probably snack some more later.

I'm going to be enjoying grilling for the first time in two weeks. I've sure missed it. Marinated chicken wings, and a basket of marinated veggies will be on the menu along with leftover Spanish rice.

We had sloppy Joes on my homemade burger buns from the freezer; we add a lot of chopped onions and bell peppers to ours. Pickles on the side.

I decided to be nice to Himself and make chili. In an attempt to ward off a case of indigestion, I had a big bowl of salad with buttermilk dressing and a small bowl of chili. Himself is busy stuffing his face with chili. [emoji38]
IMG_20190815_210538684.jpg

I'm 73 years old, and had Lamb for the first time last night........ might be the last time.... I'll stick with Cows, Pigs and Poultry, THX !

Grilled Lamb chop, Mint Jelly, Yellow Rice w/ Sweet Pepper, Steamed Sprouts....... and a couple of Rice grains, overboard !
How did I not see them BEFORE I took the shot .......

Lamb Chop.jpg

I'm 73 years old, and had Lamb for the first time last night........ might be the last time.... I'll stick with Cows, Pigs and Poultry, THX !

Grilled Lamb chop, Mint Jelly, Yellow Rice w/ Sweet Pepper, Steamed Sprouts....... and a couple of Rice grains, overboard !
How did I not see them BEFORE I took the shot .......

View attachment 36187

Don't give up. Where was the lamb from? New Zealand is praised for its lamb, but American lamb is milder -- less gamey. I personally favor US lamb chops, cooked medium rare. They have an earthy, but not gamey flavor.

CD

Attachments

• LamChops3-19.jpg
    LamChops3-19.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I seldom turn down the opportunity to enjoy lamb.. :yum:

Not overcooking it is the key to deliciousness..

Rack of lamb is my favorite, followed by grilled leg of lamb..

Ross

I'm just the opposite Casey. I don't like American lamb at all and I'll only eat it from New Zealand. To me the flavor is far superior. Costco is a great source of N.Z. lamb.

I'm also curious where your lamb was raised LT.

I'm just the opposite Casey. I don't like American lamb at all and I'll only eat it from New Zealand. To me the flavor is far superior. Costco is a great source of N.Z. lamb.

I'm also curious where your lamb was raised LT.

I agree than NZ lamb has MORE flavor, but to my personal taste buds, it isn't a better taste. To each, his own.

CD

I am a fan of lamb as I grew up on it. I prefer the Australian lamb I can get at Costco. Local markets only have American lamb which is larger and milder than the Aussie lamb.

Another fan of New Zealand lamb here. I don't want to pay a premium price for something that just tastes of "red meat". ;)

Another fan of New Zealand lamb here. I don't want to pay a premium price for something that just tastes of "red meat". ;)

Oooookay. The US lamb I buy still tastes like lamb, just not as gamey.

I have also had the lamb from COSTCO, and it is high quality, but tastes gamey to me. Just my personal opinion.

I only brought this up because luckytrim had a negative experience with lamb, and maybe his taste buds and mine are like-minded.

Sorry for rocking the lamb boat. :ermm:

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom