8/18/2019 - National Fajita Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to sous vide a steak and sear it in a CI skillet. Baked potatoes and green beans will complete the meal.

Beer battered walleye & onion rings...

39817-albums888-picture8040.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Beans and Rice

• Black beans
  • Andouille sausage
  • Onion
  • Poblano pepper
  • Tomatoes
  • Garlic
  • Chili powder
  • Brown basmati rice
  • Sour Cream
Black Beans and Rice.jpg

We visited some friends for their annual BBQ. I had some Italian sausages, a hamburger patty, some Caesar salad, and crudités with a cheese and spinach dip. I also had sangria. Stirling had hot dogs, sausages on buns, Caesar salad, pasta salad, potato salad, chocolate cake, and water melon, as well as sangria. It was all yummy and we had a great time.

I'm always amazed how well Sous Vide works for a tri tip. The cook for the odd triangle cut of beef is always perfect throughout. Again, it was finished on "Wilma" the searing side burner of the gas grill. Yabba Dabba Doo...

Sides were :
Corn cut off the cob, bacon fried with red bell pepper and fresh chives
Leftover marinated grilled veggies
Chimichurri sauce for the meat

Attachments

• P8180030[1].jpg
    P8180030[1].jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 138
  • P8180031[1].jpg
    P8180031[1].jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 108
I'm always amazed how well Sous Vide works for a tri tip. The cook for the odd triangle cut of beef is always perfect throughout. Again, it was finished on "Wilma" the searing side burner of the gas grill. Yabba Dabba Doo...

I have never cooked tri-tip sous vide. I've never cooked it at all. You just don't see that cut of beef in stores in Texas. I have eaten tri-tip cooked Santa Maria style in California. But, it just isn't stocked in stores here.

How long do you cook it in the water bath? Is it a long, slow cook?

CD

Looks like when I finally go to bed, I will be dreaming of surf and turf I can't get here... walleye and tri-tip.:LOL:

CD

I did a quick, simple meal of onions, potato slices, ham chunks, and eggs all fried up in bacon grease and lard. Tossed back the pieces of bacon I fried to get the drippings when the eggs went into the pan. Himself said "for something that looks like slop, it sure tasted great".

My lord, we HAVE to eat more heart-healthy this week! :LOL:

I have never cooked tri-tip sous vide. I've never cooked it at all. You just don't see that cut of beef in stores in Texas. I have eaten tri-tip cooked Santa Maria style in California. But, it just isn't stocked in stores here.

CD
I've never cooked one either, but I've seen it in stores here in NH. Now that I have a circulator I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, why is it called a Wilma burner?

I wish I could get walleye down here. I had it a couple years ago in SD, and it was really good. Impossible to find anywhere near where I live.

CD
It was one of the things I missed the most living in Eastern Ontario. Pickerel wasn't the same as walleye from LOW. My Mom can tell the difference between walleye from Red Lake and LOW. She'll eat the Red Lake walleye, but really appreciates that her nephews who also have cabins at LOW make sure to send me home with a package (or two) for her. Sauger is similar, not sure if you can get it there or not. The Locker Plant in Bemidji, MN might be willing to ship some to you on dry ice. Or, plan a fishing vacy in Northern MN. Wheeler's Resort in Baudette or Long Point Resort in Williams might be worth a trip in September...the walleye are really biting right now.

Caseydog My cousin is a guide up at the Angle, I could message him to ask if he'd ship you some. I don't like how Red Lake cleans the fillets. I always have to finish the job and get the bones out in the "middle." We butterfly ours so there aren't bones in the middle. If I am really lucky, I get cheeks with the walleye my cousins send home with me.

CD
Casey, I set the SV at 130 degrees and it takes about 3 hrs.
By now you would think the rest of the country would know better than to grind up all those terrific Tri Tip's for hamburger. Pity.

I've never cooked one either, but I've seen it in stores here in NH. Now that I have a circulator I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, why is it called a Wilma burner?

Wilma (Flintstone) is just my pet name for the searing side burner on the grill. The fire it creates feeds my primal cooking instincts. :LOL:

Last night was Braised Lamb loin chops (fresh garlic, lemon juice and chicken broth), steamed broccoli, mashed potatoes and pan gravy.

lamb_081819_IMG_6123.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom