Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Recipes Make Magic

Senior Cook
[FONT=centrale_sans]Here's a recipe I came across by accident - sounds interesting.[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Has anyone used this recipe, or something close to it, who could provide a critique ?[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]QUOTE:[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Toss out that deep fryer, just like last year’s jeans. We’ve got the solution to crispy chicken wings without the hassle of deep frying. These ones are baked but use a secret technique to make them extra crisp.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]Author:[FONT=centrale_sans] [/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans]Lyndsay Burginger[/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans][/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]Prep Time:[FONT=centrale_sans] [/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans]5 minutes[/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans][/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]Cook Time:[FONT=centrale_sans] [/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans]1 hour 20 minutes[/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans][/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]Total Time:[FONT=centrale_sans] [/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans]1 hour 25 minutes[/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans][/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]Yield:[FONT=centrale_sans] [/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans]20 wings 1x[/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Scale 1x2x3x [FONT=centrale_sans][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]10 whole chicken wings, cut into flats and drumettes [/FONT](here’s how to do it)[FONT=centrale_sans]. Discard tips or use for a stock. That leaves you with 20 wing pieces total[/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]1 Tbsp. [FONT=centrale_sans]aluminum-free*[/FONT][FONT=centrale_sans] baking powder (NOT baking soda)[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]1/2 tsp. salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=centrale_sans]sauce or dry rub[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Instructions[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=centrale_sans]Preheat oven to 250°F.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=centrale_sans]Place a rack onto a cookie sheet.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=centrale_sans]In a large bowl, toss the flats and drumettes with the baking powder and salt. Place wings on the rack in single layer and cook for 30 minutes.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=centrale_sans]After 30 minutes, leave them in there and raise the heat to 425°F until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=centrale_sans]Take wings out and let rest 5 minutes. Toss in [/FONT]a delicious sauce like this one[FONT=centrale_sans] and serve.[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Notes[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]As stated at the top of this article and in the comments below, some baking powders contain aluminum and some people (maybe 10%) can really taste it and it tastes bitter to them. To make sure that your wings do not taste bitter, please use an aluminum-free baking powder such as [/FONT]Rumford brand[FONT=centrale_sans]. And as noted everywhere, please make sure you’re using baking powder and NOT baking soda. And please make sure that you’re just using a little bit of baking powder, like the 1 tablespoon called for. You are not trying to create a breading or coating for the wings. You are just putting a little bit because that little bit changes the ph of the wings which is what makes them crisp up so well. Who knew there was so much to say about baking powder??? lol[/FONT]
[FONT=centrale_sans]Adapted from [/FONT]Cook’s Country[FONT=centrale_sans]. The science behind it all can be found [/FONT]here on Serious Eats[FONT=centrale_sans].[/FONT]

Thanks for the link Kay. That was interesting and I like that he explains why baking powder instead of baking soda. I have bookmarked it in my "recipes to try" folder.

Please see the Posting Standards" section of the Community Rules. You cannot post a copyrighted recipe.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Sincere apologies - I was not aware of that.

Having said that, any recipe posted herein may indeed and in fact be formally 'copyrighted' and how is anyone to know that, and be made aware permission must be obtained prior to copying it.

Also not sure of the actual legalities here, particularly where the author is clearly identified (and therefore given credit for.)
My having picked it up off the internet clearly makes it publicly available, therefore making copying an innocent activity. ???

If this is a matter necessitating removal/deletion from the forum, then administration please proceed to do so.

Last edited:
If administration chooses to delete the thread, alternatively if this is deemed suitable, Admin could simply delete only the recipe itself and I would be happy to provide the link to it to use in it's stead.

Most of the recipes posted here are members’ recipes. It’s always preferable to post a link.

Posting recipes on a public website doesn’t make them uncopyrighted.

Listing the author’s name does not make posting their recipe OK either.

It may not make sense to you but “thems the facts”

If you post a link rather than a recipe, the recipe owners website get the traffic and resulting ad revenue.

Another way to get crispy skin is put in cold pan (preferably cast iron) turn to high allow to heat up, when you hear a heavy crackle cook a few minutes. then into on a broil pan in a preheated 350 oven to finish. works great for breasts

I do agree that posting recipes (or other material) doesn't make them uncopyrighted, but my understanding ( this without wishing to be argumentative or give offense) is that from a strict legal standpoint, anyone knowingly placing his or her material into the public domain, (e.g. the internet) while still wanting to maintain all of the rights and remedies of a copyright was to state that his or her material was to have the author's permission before copying it, failing which the rights and remedies were automatically waived under law. Can't recall where I read words to that effect.

And the fact that the material owner's website gets the traffic and any resulting revenue via a link is no valid rationale to me for making a link to the material legally acceptable for reproduction, but a written copy of it not so. That doesn't make legal sense, does it?

I'm simply and very sincerely suggesting that the totality of the elaboration of that section of the forum's community rules could perhaps be revisited.

I will certainly post a link from here on in, though, and I do thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

I do agree that posting recipes (or other material) doesn't make them uncopyrighted, but my understanding ( this without wishing to be argumentative or give offense) is that from a strict legal standpoint, anyone knowingly placing his or her material into the public domain, (e.g. the internet) while still wanting to maintain all of the rights and remedies of a copyright was to state that his or her material was to have the author's permission before copying it, failing which the rights and remedies were automatically waived under law. Can't recall where I read words to that effect.

And the fact that the material owner's website gets the traffic and any resulting revenue via a link is no valid rationale to me for making a link to the material legally acceptable for reproduction, but a written copy of it not so. That doesn't make legal sense, does it?

I'm simply and very sincerely suggesting that the totality of the elaboration of that section of the forum's community rules could perhaps be revisited.

I will certainly post a link from here on in, though, and I do thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Publishing a recipe on a website does not put it in the public domain any more than publishing it in a book does. Public domain means that it doesn't carry a copyright - either it has expired or the work was created by the federal government - not that it's easy to disseminate.

The forum owners are following the law by having that rule and members following it protects the community. There's no reason to revisit it.

We've had extensive discussions on this topic before. You can find them by searching.

My take on baked wings. Works great every time I’ve done it

Sheetpan with cookie wire rack insert

400 degrees for 40min. If you want to flip halfway through but doesn’t matter since on sheetpan with rack.

After 40min take out and move oven rack to top slot. Move sheetpan to there.

Change bake to broil on hi. 5-7min each side. I find 5min on the dot works best in my oven. Crispies them up. Use tongs to flip after 5min

Avocado creme sauce
1/2 avocado
Small container full fat sour cream (use 3/4)
Sprinkle of cumin
Blend

Enjoy!

IMG_1699.jpg

Once again. Because of my profession, I know how copyrights work. Anything that anyone writes, draws, paints, photographs, etc is automatically covered by copyright laws.

But, using a link to the creator's website solves the problem. You are then just telling someone to look at their work.

I am personally okay with someone posting one of my photos on a forum, as long as they include a link to my website (and say nice things about my photo). ;) I look at that as free advertising.

CD

Once again. Because of my profession, I know how copyrights work. Anything that anyone writes, draws, paints, photographs, etc is automatically covered by copyright laws.

But, using a link to the creator's website solves the problem. You are then just telling someone to look at their work.

I am personally okay with someone posting one of my photos on a forum, as long as they include a link to my website (and say nice things about my photo). ;) I look at that as free advertising.

CD
Good explanation.

Back
Top Bottom