8/22/2019 - Eat A Peach Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
https://anydayguide.com/calendar/2376

This is about the fruit, and not the 1972 album by the Allman Brothers Band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_a_Peach

I'll be joining the celebration on this one. I picked up some peaches from the farmers market this weekend, and I've got two ripe and ready for the grill for dessert. A little frozen yogurt on the side.

I have two slabs of St. Louis ribs on the smoker. Sides will be Bush's Grillin Beans and cole slaw. I picked up a two pack of ribs on sale at the warehouse club, which worked out to $1.75 / lb. Once I opened the pack I discovered that they were from very different size pigs (why do they do that?). Not a big deal in this case, as one of the slabs will be for a different meal, so I'll take off the smaller one when done. Reheats aren't as good as fresh off the smoker, but it's about 6 hours on the smoker at 225, so I might as well make the second slab.

Another meal of chicken parm tonight. Last week I cooked a bunch of chicken for parm and froze some. Tonight we reap the rewards.

Pork chops, stuffing, mixed vegetables and pan gravy was fantastic. Sorry no pictures.

Carbonara benedict, which is an alfredo sauce, my home cured gammon, poached egg on an English muffin. Sides of a spinach and arugula salad and fried potatoes.

Attachments

• 2019-08-22 17.56.08.jpg
    2019-08-22 17.56.08.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 147
We went very simple. I made a peasant omelette with cubed, old cheddar and scallions. We had toast with that.

Dh has gone fishing a few times recently and froze the fish in water. Boy that takes up space in the freezer I need for green chiles! So he grilled rainbow trout and I boiled corn on the cob.

I seasoned and roasted a couple of chicken thighs around noon today, and threw together a nice sauce from the pan drippings. Scraped up the fond and added a little chicken stock, fresh lemon juice, chopped mushrooms and onion, thyme, reduced it, and added a little half and half towards the end. Mixed sauteed veggies for a side.

Just when I fixed my plate around 2:OO for an early dinner, another quake hit - Mag 5. Freaked me out all over again and I could barely choke it down. I'm so over this. :(

Last edited:
Took the easy route out. Dad had a 4:30 appointment in "town." Caregiver arrived at 5:30 to get Mom up for supper so I pulled a pizza out of the freezer, dressed it up with more mushrooms, roasted red peppers, sausage, green peppers, onions, and more cheese. This way, Dad could re-heat his, and the caregiver could do what she is paid to do--change and feed my Mom. Dad had a tossed salad, Mom had fruit and cottage cheese. For dessert, they had Peach Cream pie before bed at 10 p.m.

Aw Cheryl, I'd trade you some of my thunder, lightening, and downpours for a bit of your shake, rattle, and roll. Hang in there sweetie. (((hug)))

We ate very local today, corn, tomatoes, and Swiss chard from Farmer Tim's in town, corn muffins from the one-off grocery store in the next, and BT's smoked ribs from two towns over. I did more driving than cooking today.
IMG_20190822_214712511.jpg

Back
Top Bottom