Egg Yolk - The Other Yellow Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I am an egg yolk lover. There are few things in the culinary world that are as pleasing as the taste and feel of a poached or lightly fried, runny egg yolk in my mouth. It's one of those simple pleasures that make getting up some mornings that much better. You can have all my egg whites if you like. They are there just to fill the eggshell and keep the yolk ready and safe until I'm ready to experience it.

Even better, the yolk contains about half the proteins and most of the vitamins and minerals in an egg.

I know all about the fat content. Every pleasure has a price.

What say you all? Are you a yolk lover or hater?

I like egg yolks. The whites are okay. As for eating them raw, I do like a raw egg yolk on a Danish steak tartar sandwich. This is a picture of that. The white ring around the egg yolk is a ring of raw onion, to keep the yolk from running away and for flavour.

Tartarmad_smorrebrod_small_02.jpg

I'm with you Andy! What do they do with all the yolks from all those egg whites? I want them!! My mom also loved yolks. She would go to a farm and get brown shell, double yolk eggs.

I love egg yolks, too. I like the whites when they get a little crispy around the edges :yum: After my surgery, DH learned very quickly how to make eggs Benedict and he made them for me every morning for at least a week :wub:

I also like deviled eggs. The whites for those are just a carrier ;)

A favorite meal, for me, is a poached egg mixed into buttered toast pieces.. I eat them often and always consider that to be a treat..

Ross

I like the runny yolks from an egg running over something else, like eggs Benedict, or even a poached egg on toast. Yolks by themself, nope.

I mostly eat eggs scrambled, and I scramble them slowly over medium heat, so they are soft, moist and fluffy -- no browning! Same with omelets.

Deviled eggs are good, too. I'll even eat a hard-boiled egg with some salt and pepper as a snack.

I also like an over-easy fried egg on toast, but no brown (burnt) edges.

CD

I agree, nothing like breaking the yolk and having it run down and around... whatever!

I like the whites but they must be gently cooked. Hate rubbery and not a big fan of crispy. I do like them filled with the devilled yolks too.

Egg whites for merigues... and the yolk for curds. Life is good.

I'm OK with egg whites on had boiled and deviled eggs. However, when I fry eggs, I trim off a lot of the white and toss it.

Poached eggs are another great yolk delivery system. Hmmm, I have a can of hash in the pantry...

Scrambled eggs and omelets are a waste of yolks.

A favorite meal, for me, is a poached egg mixed into buttered toast pieces.. I eat them often and always consider that to be a treat..

Ross
I also rip up my toast and bacon and mix into my poached or soft boiled eggs.

I like the runny yolks from an egg running over something else, like eggs Benedict, or even a poached egg on toast. Yolks by themself, nope.

I mostly eat eggs scrambled, and I scramble them slowly over medium heat, so they are soft, moist and fluffy -- no browning! Same with omelets.

Deviled eggs are good, too. I'll even eat a hard-boiled egg with some salt and pepper as a snack.

I also like an over-easy fried egg on toast, but no brown (burnt) edges.

CD

I agree brown is burned and I order poached or soft boiled when out so they can’t get burned.

The down side is that not many cooks can get them right. Most of the time they are hard boiled or snotty under cooked whites. Yuck

I have found only 2 restaurants in my area that get it right EVERY time.

Love egg yolks!

One of my favorite dishes to make is a raviolo with an egg yolk inside. It really feature the yolk.

I'm OK with egg whites on had boiled and deviled eggs. However, when I fry eggs, I trim off a lot of the white and toss it.

Poached eggs are another great yolk delivery system. Hmmm, I have a can of hash in the pantry...

Scrambled eggs and omelets are a waste of yolks.

Good, more for me, and other normal people.

CD

I also rip up my toast and bacon and mix into my poached or soft boiled eggs.

I agree brown is burned and I order poached or soft boiled when out so they can’t get burned.

The down side is that not many cooks can get them right. Most of the time they are hard boiled or snotty under cooked whites. Yuck

I have found only 2 restaurants in my area that get it right EVERY time.
Brown food tastes GOOD! Black is burned ;)

I'm in my own little corner - I just can't gag down a runny egg yolk. I've managed to become friends with a very lightly jammy egg right in the middle of the yolk when I add hard-cooked eggs to our salads. Nothing runny, though.

...I like the whites when they get a little crispy around the edges...
My Mom made really good over-hard eggs for me. Crispy little ruffled edges on the white part, done but not dry yolk. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom