Dinner 9-27-2019 ~ National Corned Beef Hash Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
A corned beef boiled dinner is pretty much traditional around St. Paddy's Day. Why would they make National Corned Beef Hash Day more than six months later? :huh: For us it really doesn't matter - neither of us like hash.

However, we do like smoked pork chops. REALLY like smoked pork chops. I bought three from our butcher yesterday (planned leftovers). They're so good with green beans simmered in their juices. Mmmm. Bought 1 1/2 pounds of those - there will be no leftovers. :LOL: Anyway, that's our supper tonight, with the addition of Grands biscuits for sopping up any extra juices.

What's planned for your supper?

Bone-In Ribeye, Air Fries, Green Lima's with a few Bacon Bits, Tomato Salad with Green Pepper, Yellow Pepper & Onion under a zesty Italian Dressing...

Salad, Tomato.jpg

Rib Eye, Bone in.jpg

I made a country omelette with feta and scallions. We had it with toast. The toast got a little dark and the smoke detector got all judgey. The toast wasn't THAT dark. Note to self: Feta works really well in a country omelette.

We had Naan pizzas. Mine had sauce, grated cheese, shredded cheddar, shredded mozzarella, red and green bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, black olives and sweet Italian sausage crumbles.

We opted to go out last night for wonton soup. I had some egg foo yung and TB had s/s pork. We shared the soup and steamed rice. We had quite a bit to bring home, except for the soup.

My plan yesterday was to make pork and bok choi, which TB loves (with any meat but I had pork). I needed to cook the meat so I made the dish and served it with heated leftovers from last night. It was really good!

A corned beef boiled dinner is pretty much traditional around St. Paddy's Day. Why would they make National Corned Beef Hash Day more than six months later? :huh: For us it really doesn't matter - neither of us like hash.

However, we do like smoked pork chops. REALLY like smoked pork chops. I bought three from our butcher yesterday (planned leftovers). They're so good with green beans simmered in their juices. Mmmm. Bought 1 1/2 pounds of those - there will be no leftovers. :LOL: Anyway, that's our supper tonight, with the addition of Grands biscuits for sopping up any extra juices.

What's planned for your supper?

New England Boiled Dinner, which is what my mom always called it, is one amazing meal that I haven't had in so long. In fact I haven't had good corned beef hash, either, since my mom made it many years ago. I sure do miss her cooking.

Wonderful sounding dinners! CG, also kind of wondering about the reasoning behind this being corned beef hash day, rather than in March. Oh, well. :)
I've been craving navy bean and ham (or bacon) soup and wanted to make it today but time got away from me, so I think that'll be on tomorrow's menu.

I ended up with a tuna melt on rye, sliced tomatoes, and a small fruit salad. Hit the spot.

Pretty decent veggie-to-meat ratio, if I say so myself. We did have salads, too - just romaine with salad olives, tomatoes, a little shredded mozz, and sunflower seeds.
IMG_20190927_213039631.jpg

Just thinking about Corned Beef Hash day.
For me, corned beef hash is the best reason to cook a corned beef and made right, it's really delicious with a poached egg on top.
On the other hand, Hormel canned hash is horrible, although my Dad liked it a lot. My parents were babysitting my little boys and they both said they didn't want to stay there anymore. They said that Grandpa tried to feed them canned dog food. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom