What is the last thing you ate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, as much as I love to read about food I have never heard of carrot pie!

My kidneys failed, and so I have to stay away from foods with high potassium, phosphorous, and salt. All of the winter squashes, including pumpkin are high in potassium. I couldn't bear the idea of a Thanksgiving Day without a piece of pumpkin pie, or something that tasted very similar. I had both sweet potato, and bean pie that were nearly indistinguishable from pumpkin pie, with the same flavors, and texture. Beans are also very high in potassium, and so that was out. So I started comparing the flavors and textures of different veggies in my head and realized that carrots, boiled until soft, shared some of the same flavor notes, and the same texture as cooked pumpkin. So, being the experimenting kind of guy that I am, I boiled up 2 oz. of carrots, and used the Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe, and simply replaced the pumpkin with the cooked, and mashed pumpkin. To my delight, my experiment worked and I was able to enjoy a pie that tasted almost exactly the same as regular pumpkin pie. So, if you know anyone with allergies, or kidney problems, that make winter squash taboo for them, carrots make a great alternative. I thiink parsnips would work also, though I haven't tried them in a pie yet.

It's good to know how to cook, and have the ability to taste things in your mind and recognize different flavors in foods. It allows you to recreate items you've had elsewhere, and want to duplicate, or create new recipes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwinnd of the North

This morning, I had corn checks with wild honey, and half & half
Icn have cream, but am allowed only 4 oz. Zof milk, or milk products, such as yogurt per day.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom