Cauliflower soup enhancements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pellice

Cook
Hello - I'm making a fairly standard cauliflower-cheese soup today, and I'd like to throw in some accent or other. I'm going to use paprika (but, sweet or hot?), and I guess I'll garnish it with some parsley or upland cress, but I was wondering whether anything else would give it some added level of flavor. Nuts? (but the soup will be pureed, so maybe not). Wine? Vinegar? It would be nice if I had a stronger cheese, but all I have on hand is cheddar and Parmesan. Ideas welcome!

I always like a little hot sauce added. Not much. Sriracha or tabasco.

If you have any parmesan left, cook it in a nonstick skillet to make a frico. When its cool, crush it up to make a nice crunchy, cheesy garnish.

You could float some croutons on top to serve. Gives it a crunch. Even those you can spruce up with garlic butter.

You could float some croutons on top to serve. Gives it a crunch. Even those you can spruce up with garlic butter.

I was thinking about croutons also. But wondering whether maybe I should add some garlic to the soup.

Also, about the hot sauce, I think, Jennyema, you decided me on the hot paprika!

Adding smokey bacon crumbles is a nice flavor addition. A little coarse-ground black pepper will work as well.
Another option, other than cheese sauce, is to make a Hollondaise sauce as your soup base. Just more ideas for you.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for the ideas! I made the soup yesterday and garlic croutons today, and am wondering why I don't make croutons more often. I wonder if they freeze well or get mushy.

And that Hollandaise soup base - I have never tried or even thought about it before. I bet it would work great for a seafood soup.

Thanks for the ideas! I made the soup yesterday and garlic croutons today, and am wondering why I don't make croutons more often. I wonder if they freeze well or get mushy.

And that Hollandaise soup base - I have never tried or even thought about it before. I bet it would work great for a seafood soup.
Dried bread cubes freeze beautifully. I would suggest making the croutons when you make soup. Having unseasoned bread also means you can season them to go with a specific dish.

Back
Top Bottom