Hello fellow foodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just signed up, looks like a good place to talk food.

A little of my history.
I've been cooking for a long time. Started in my childhood. I've always felt at home in a kitchen and never feared it. It's like second nature to me. I don't know everything about cooking but I believe there's nothing I can't do.

I started in fast food as a teen. Not something I really enjoyed but I was quite good at it. Fast and accurate.

I didn't take cooking very seriously until I was about 21. In my accounting class, the teacher was talking about being employed and how a good employee could work anywhere in the mall for instance. Once established as a good employee any store would hire that person. I thought about that and being a cook.

I got a new job as a line cook. A step up from my burger flipping. I learned every station on that line and eventually it came down to me learning the wheel. The guy who ran the line. The manager nervously watched and almost stepped in A couple times my first night. He never did, I ran it fine and continued.

I left that job for a new line position at a higher end restaurant on a golf course. That place really tested me, constantly dealing with problems. I learned that kitchen in and out and left after 5 years as the sous chef/assistant kitchen manager. We did banquets galore, ran buffets on Thanksgiving and Easter to the tune of 700 people in about 7 hours. Graduation parties for the nearby college. It was an incredible learning experience. The most stressful cooking I've ever done. Not just because of the volume but because of how poorly the owner ran the place.

The place was insane and my health improved after I left.

Now I just cook for myself, friends and family. I've always been a foodie. I eat out a lot as well. I've eaten at just about every place in town and I will travel for food.

I'm a detailed person and am v critical of any food. Whether it's mine or I'm eating out. The last few years it seems I'm more disappointed in food at restaurants. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. My friends will tell you no matter what I make, how much they like it, there is always something I will nitpick.

What I lack in cooking is my diversity. I eat the same stuff too much and I don't step out and try new stuff that often.

Hi Scott, welcome, you sound like you will be a great addition to this site. I have only been back a short time myself, getting to know everyone again.

DH and I love diversity. We don't develop too many recipes ourselves, because I have been collecting recipes for many years and like to try them. You want diversity, I sure can help you there. Just point me in the right direction and tell me what you like and dislike. Till then.

Last edited:
Hi Scott, and welcome to DC. I loved hearing about your interesting background and thank you for that. You'll fit in very well here and it's a fun place to play and hang out.

...I'm a detailed person and am v critical of any food. Whether it's mine or I'm eating out. The last few years it seems I'm more disappointed in food at restaurants...
Welcome, scott. You might be my brother from another mother, but it's not likely. You show "Michigan" as your location. While I live in Massachusetts, I'm a Buckeye to my bones. But I'm with you on restaurant food. I think being here at DC has sharpened my cooking skills because of suggestions from other members. I hope you enjoy your time here, too.

Welcome! Back in the '80's a bunch of my friends suggested that I open a seafood restaurant after eating several dishes I served them. Already having experience working 80 hours a week, the prospect of working more didn't appeal to me.

Just signed up, looks like a good place to talk food.

A little of my history.
I've been cooking for a long time. Started in my childhood. I've always felt at home in a kitchen and never feared it. It's like second nature to me. I don't know everything about cooking but I believe there's nothing I can't do.

I started in fast food as a teen. Not something I really enjoyed but I was quite good at it. Fast and accurate.

I didn't take cooking very seriously until I was about 21. In my accounting class, the teacher was talking about being employed and how a good employee could work anywhere in the mall for instance. Once established as a good employee any store would hire that person. I thought about that and being a cook.

I got a new job as a line cook. A step up from my burger flipping. I learned every station on that line and eventually it came down to me learning the wheel. The guy who ran the line. The manager nervously watched and almost stepped in A couple times my first night. He never did, I ran it fine and continued.

I left that job for a new line position at a higher end restaurant on a golf course. That place really tested me, constantly dealing with problems. I learned that kitchen in and out and left after 5 years as the sous chef/assistant kitchen manager. We did banquets galore, ran buffets on Thanksgiving and Easter to the tune of 700 people in about 7 hours. Graduation parties for the nearby college. It was an incredible learning experience. The most stressful cooking I've ever done. Not just because of the volume but because of how poorly the owner ran the place.

The place was insane and my health improved after I left.

Now I just cook for myself, friends and family. I've always been a foodie. I eat out a lot as well. I've eaten at just about every place in town and I will travel for food.

I'm a detailed person and am v critical of any food. Whether it's mine or I'm eating out. The last few years it seems I'm more disappointed in food at restaurants. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. My friends will tell you no matter what I make, how much they like it, there is always something I will nitpick.

What I lack in cooking is my diversity. I eat the same stuff too much and I don't step out and try new stuff that often.

You are on good platform...

Welcome! Back in the '80's a bunch of my friends suggested that I open a seafood restaurant after eating several dishes I served them. Already having experience working 80 hours a week, the prospect of working more didn't appeal to me.

I really gave long thought to opening a restaurant about 6 years ago. Two things held me back, first working 80+ hours a week, working everyday of the week and having to buy my own health insurance. If I had the same opportunity 25 years ago, probably would have.

Back
Top Bottom