Crown Roast of Pork with Fruit Stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Crown Roast of Pork with Fruit Stuffing

Serves 8 to 12

INGREDIENTS
1 Crown Roast of Pork
1 tablespoon flour
4 strips bacon
salt and freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS
Bring the crown roast to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, combine the flour with the salt and pepper and rub it over the outer fat of the crown. Fry the bacon until crisp, reserving the bacon fat. Crumble the bacon and recombine it with the bacon fat. Brush the outside bone with a mixture of crumbled bacon and fat. Fill the center of the crown with Fruit Stuffing (See below) and place a bit of aluminum foil on each of the bone tips so that they will not burn. Roast for half an hour in an open pan. Reduce heat to 325°F. and continue roasting for about 2 1/2 hours. You should allow about 25 minutes per pound for roasting. When roast is done, remove the foil from the bone ends and add frills if you desire.

Fruit Stuffing

INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter
2 large onions (chopped)
20 slices bread (broken into pieces)
1 cup apricots (dried)
1 cup prunes (dried)
6 apples (peeled and cored)
salt
1 tsp. nutmeg (scant)
1 tsp. cinnamon (scant)
1⁄2 tsp. cloves (ground)

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a large pan. When it is bubbling, add the onions and allow to cook gently until they are transparent. Add the bread pieces to this mixture and remove from heat – after you have stirred well. Meanwhile, parboil the apricots and prunes for about 4 minutes. Drain them and cut into small pieces. Add these to the large pan along with the apples you have chopped into medium size cubes. Stir this mixture thoroughly and add the seasonings. Should you feel the mixture has not melded well, add a little water, wine, or bouillon. When the mixture seems just right, test it for seasoning and add a bit of this or that to bring it to your own taste.

Now your talking my language. But I like to do mine on the barbecue, with sugar maple and white birch providing the smoke. I used mandarin oranges for my fruit, and mixed in some wild and brown rice. The smoke and fruit together made an incredible union of flavors.

As I mentally taste the flavors that you put in yours, apple, apricot, prune, etc. I'm getting a sense of sweet & pungeant.

I think I'd omit the prunes and add maybe some pineapple, and ginger in place of the cinamon. But that's just me. In any case, you just posted one of my favorite meals. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
We did a crown roast of lamb on the smoker.

sidectr.JPG

what can I say? I'm impressed. Looks like the only difference between our dishes is that I surounded my roast with a very attractive purple flowering kale. If there was some way you could blow up my avatar, that's the pictue I used. we do speak the sae culinary language. :)

Rainee; I don't know how to get the picture loaded into DC. I had a web page that displayed that picture and a few others, but for some unknown reason, it's currently not working. I could email the picture to you. It looks much like yours, but with grilled whole bell peppers (orange, red, and green) and all of it sitting on purple flowering kale. I also used about seventeen ribs and so have a wider circle.

Rainee; I was able to save a picture under the Member's Pictures section of DC. Still don't know how to attach a file. Could use some instruction.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When you click on reply and get the new window, scroll down to additional options, click manage attachments. See if that helps.

You can attach a file when you post a message. Just scroll down after you type your message (but before you hit submit reply) and you will see the Additional Options section. In that section will be a button that says Manage Attachments. This is in the Attach Files section. From there you can browse your hard drive to find the location of the file you would like to attach. Let me know if you need any more help with it. Thanks :)

That is a very nice presentation. Great colors!

i mean this in all seriousness Rainee.. can i please, please, PLEASE come and live with you?!?

I'm going to try this picture thing one more time. Each of these pictures was taken by me of real food, not painted or altered in any way. Hope you like them and they inspire you to try and make something new to you.

Attachments

• grilled turkey3.jpg
    grilled turkey3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Fajitas2.jpg
    Fajitas2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 259

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom