What's for Supper Thursday 12/12 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled Porterhouse, Wined-Up Mushrooms, Baked Russet, Glazed Carrots, Three-Bean Salad...

Porterhouse.jpg

Still not feeling all that great and I have no spoons. We ordered out. DH had fettuccine Alfredo and I had calamari and French fries.

The Board of Trustees for our condo had its annual dinner with the property manager. We ate at a local restaurant and had terrific meals.

I had a bone-in ribeye medium rare with mashed potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes. Dessert was espresso and deep-fried cheese cake with a peach preserve.

Attachments

• 1DBFDAF6-2CBD-4739-9485-CA03AEC71821_1_105_c.jpg
    1DBFDAF6-2CBD-4739-9485-CA03AEC71821_1_105_c.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 89
Leftover cowboy beans, leftover cranberry ginger jalapeno salsa, leftover cornbread with a pat of butter on top of the slices, and warmed in the oven wrapped loosely in foil. Tasty but crumbly.

I went to the large Asian market today, and stocked up on some things I never let myself run out of (hadn't been there since Feb., which is unheard of!). A couple years ago they stopped carrying a favorite brand of Chinese dumplings - jao tze - and other brands sampled weren't worth buying again. But today, I found the good ones again, and stocked up with a few bags. I texted a friend, who missed them more than I did, and he was at my house before I got back!

It wasn't really a dinner, being around 3 PM, but we pigged out on some, using the usual Vietnamese and Chinese dip sauces I'd make, and a last minute recipe I remembered Milk Street had a while back - a Cambodian black pepper dip sauce, or Tuk Merik. Super simple - just roasted black peppercorns, crushed, with lime juice, salt, and palm sugar. I just left it in the mortar. We were both pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Here are the leftovers, of the dips.
Tuk Merik, Cambodian dipping sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Vietnamese and Chinese dip sauces, for dumplings by pepperhead212, on Flickr

To make up for eating all that, I just had a large salad for dinner - all from the hydroponics, except the chives, which are still producing outside.

Just a plateful of super moist & tasty chicken wings, marinated the entire day with baking powder for that extra crispiness, and which I'd been craving for over the past couple of weeks !

Attachments

• IMG_9140 Spicy chicken wings.jpg
    IMG_9140 Spicy chicken wings.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 130
Daughters B'Day so, dinner at her house cooked by grand DIL.. She made the dinner requested by D..

Amazing fried chicken wings, mashed w/gravy and sweet corn.. Hot yeast rolls.. :yum:

I so love family dinners.. :)

Ross

My book club meeting was Thursday. We don't have a book to read in December - we have a holiday social. I made Turkish kofte meatballs and hummus, using a new recipe for the hummus from the current issue of Cooks Illustrated. The method involves boiling canned chickpeas in water with a little baking soda, to increase the alkalinity, which helps loosen the skins.

The idea is to remove the skins to make the hummus more smooth. It worked, but separating the skins from the peas was not as easy as they indicated and it took a long time. Not worth it, in my opinion. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo.

Back
Top Bottom