Is Sushi Healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Not the tempura fried garbage. Just normal sushi rolls.

im thinking it could help my cutting diet alot. the best sushi place in town here in san antonio is 2 blocks away from me. should i take advantage? Is it low calorie stuff?

Sushi can be very healthy, but like everything it is healthy in moderation (even though I would happily eat sushi for breakfast lunch and dinner forever).

It's healthy. Healthier than most things and the oils/fats found in it is usually the "good for you" stuff.

It would be unhealthy if you were pregnant or had a low immune system. It would also be unhealthy if the fish was not fresh!!! :sick:

tempura's pretty good Haggis, I agree. We make it sometimes. Just heat up the wok with peanut oil. We like onions, carrot slices if I can find a huge carrot, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, and there was one really strange thing we tried one time but I can't remember now what it was - or if we liked it - I just remember us taking a chance lol

Tempura is not actually sushi. Sushi refers to the rice. A lot of people think sushi is raw fish, but that is not the case. Lots of times sushi does have raw fish, but it can also have cooked fish or no fish at all. As long as it has the short grained seasoned rice that is what makes it sushi.

Mylegsbig said:
i love tempura - but it's fried breading, i cant really expect it to be too healthy

^^

Tempura breading is quite light and if fried correctly should not retain too much oil.

But sushi or sashimi is probably lower in fat and calories.

I lost a lot of weight relatively painlessly by cutting out/down on most "white" foods, like rice, bread and potatoes while increasing my exercise quite a bit. Frankly, there's not much in those things that your body doesn;t get elsewhere.

GB said:
Tempura is not actually sushi. Sushi refers to the rice. A lot of people think sushi is raw fish, but that is not the case. Lots of times sushi does have raw fish, but it can also have cooked fish or no fish at all. As long as it has the short grained seasoned rice that is what makes it sushi.

You're right, tempura has nothing to do with sushi. It's like hamburgers and french fries.

Japanese food in general is quite healthy, but if you're just eating mass amounts of rice, you could still gain weight. Some people do, some people don't. Sushi rice is just rice with some vinegar in it. It can be topped with fish, crab, egg etc or they can come in rolls.

Fish in general is a good way to go if you want to cut back on other meats. Everything in moderation though. Having an all sushi diet wouldn't really work because of all the rice, but I do love sashimi :D

Fish is a great way to cut back on your calories without losing out on essential nutrients and other elements like protein.

I love how 'fatty' or 'oily' fish is that with more than 2% fat. Oh yeah fish is good.

Also if too much rice is a concern then you could always get sashimi which is just the raw fish. absolutely delicious! They key to good sushi is location though. Where do you live Mylegsbig? If it is somewhere that fresh fish is readily available then go for it!!!

I was gonna say about sushi being healthy: it's especially good if you take your time eating it (chopsticks help here). One thing that I notice is that most men eat WAY too fast, usually because they grew up competing with their brothers and friends "for the last slice". If you eat sushi slowly you'll find yourself full nice and early and it's suprisingly easy on the stomache, especially when acompanied by 1 cup of sake or beer.

On the other hand shoveling a dozen tuna rolls will kill you just as good as a bunch of hamburgers will.

I have also made sushi with brown rice - still VERY good. Make a peanut sauce but on the thinner side. It's excellent with the brown rice. If you don't eat the raw fish grill some Tempeh to use in place of it - very good! But the soy sauce and peanut sauce is a good combination.

I was just reading about the best fish to buy, since my kids eat alot of shrimp I was worried about Mercury and toxins in fish. I found out the younger fish has less toxins since they build up in fish as they get older and bigger. We limit our tuna to twice a month, but other smaller fish like salmon you can eat a couple times a week, Im not sure how big yellowtail are. Our Sushi usually has tuna, yellowtail, eel, crab, shrimp and salmon, I only worry about the tuna so far.
If your trying to loose weight the easiest way is to have a protein, a starch and big helping of veggies three times a day. Your protein serving should be about the size of a deck of cards add a little if your bigger person. Onions are really good about carrying fats out of the body also. All those things work togethor in a meal and it is a good long term plan to keep your weight in check, if you don't get enough protein you will be hungry all day, and the veggies help carry out the fats. Sushi is a good source of protein and kelp is good at stimulating the thyroid along with shrimp. Try and stay away from too much fried stuff. Now if I could just follow that myself, easier said than done.

yea sushi i would say its semi-healthy. since my parents keep saying that eating white rice will make ppl big, which i doubt.

raw fish = sashimi

raw fish = high mercury content but i don't care as long as its good. :LOL: we'll eventually get use to that mercury in fish

I am on a type II diabetes diet. I treat myself to some sashimi every other week or so. It is a great food for a diabetic (or for some one pre diabetic like myself). No rice, no bread, ZERO carbohydrates and relatively low in fat and colories. YUMMY to boot!

Sushi is healthy,depending on what is in it and don't overdo on the soy sauce, there is too much salt in it (try low salt soy sauce) so if you are trying to eat healthy, certainly not a good idea. I worked in Japan for a year, and discovered that my teeth were going brown I had to polish them regularly. I think it was from the soy sauce I ate everything in soy sauce while there.

Back
Top Bottom