Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Is Sushi Healthy? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/is-sushi-healthy-10479.html)

Mylegsbig 04-26-2005 05:50 PM

Is Sushi Healthy?

Not the tempura fried garbage. Just normal sushi rolls.

im thinking it could help my cutting diet alot. the best sushi place in town here in san antonio is 2 blocks away from me. should i take advantage? Is it low calorie stuff?

GB 04-26-2005 05:53 PM

Sushi can be very healthy, but like everything it is healthy in moderation (even though I would happily eat sushi for breakfast lunch and dinner forever).

kitchenelf 04-26-2005 08:55 PM

It's healthy. Healthier than most things and the oils/fats found in it is usually the "good for you" stuff.

It would be unhealthy if you were pregnant or had a low immune system. It would also be unhealthy if the fish was not fresh!!! :sick:

Haggis 04-26-2005 09:57 PM

There's nothing rubbish about tempura!

Sushi is probably one of the healthiest forms of takeaway you could come across.

kitchenelf 04-26-2005 10:44 PM

tempura's pretty good Haggis, I agree. We make it sometimes. Just heat up the wok with peanut oil. We like onions, carrot slices if I can find a huge carrot, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, and there was one really strange thing we tried one time but I can't remember now what it was - or if we liked it - I just remember us taking a chance lol

Mylegsbig 04-27-2005 11:31 AM

i love tempura - but it's fried breading, i cant really expect it to be too healthy

^^

GB 04-27-2005 11:37 AM

Tempura is not actually sushi. Sushi refers to the rice. A lot of people think sushi is raw fish, but that is not the case. Lots of times sushi does have raw fish, but it can also have cooked fish or no fish at all. As long as it has the short grained seasoned rice that is what makes it sushi.

jennyema 04-27-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
i love tempura - but it's fried breading, i cant really expect it to be too healthy

^^

Tempura breading is quite light and if fried correctly should not retain too much oil.

But sushi or sashimi is probably lower in fat and calories.

I lost a lot of weight relatively painlessly by cutting out/down on most "white" foods, like rice, bread and potatoes while increasing my exercise quite a bit. Frankly, there's not much in those things that your body doesn;t get elsewhere.

soapy 04-28-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB
Tempura is not actually sushi. Sushi refers to the rice. A lot of people think sushi is raw fish, but that is not the case. Lots of times sushi does have raw fish, but it can also have cooked fish or no fish at all. As long as it has the short grained seasoned rice that is what makes it sushi.

You're right, tempura has nothing to do with sushi. It's like hamburgers and french fries.

Japanese food in general is quite healthy, but if you're just eating mass amounts of rice, you could still gain weight. Some people do, some people don't. Sushi rice is just rice with some vinegar in it. It can be topped with fish, crab, egg etc or they can come in rolls.

Fish in general is a good way to go if you want to cut back on other meats. Everything in moderation though. Having an all sushi diet wouldn't really work because of all the rice, but I do love sashimi :D

Haggis 04-29-2005 02:52 AM

Fish is a great way to cut back on your calories without losing out on essential nutrients and other elements like protein.

I love how 'fatty' or 'oily' fish is that with more than 2% fat. Oh yeah fish is good.