Ceramic titanium nonstick pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yuB

Assistant Cook
Ceramic titanium nonstick pans are marketed as nonstick pans that can be used with metal utensils and stuff. Any one here ever used a ceramic titanium pan? Are they as AWESOME as claimed by the seller? I hate having to buy pans every year or so. Feel like i was ripped off by all those lifetime warranty products. blah blah blah. :angry: Anyways, can any one here vouche for the claims of ceramic titanium pots and pans? (and do not work for a company that sells pots and pans, don't wanna read a bunch of sales B.S.) :mrgreen:

I have never heard of them, but the 'ceramic' part would leave me a bit hesitant in purchasing a set.

Stick with the tried and true pans ie; All Clad and Le Cruset. They cost ALOT more, BUT you will never have to repurchase them. And Le Cruset has a lifetime warranty, but trust me, you will never need it.

ceramic titanium pans

what is it about ceramic that bothers you? It sounds like a neat idea cuz ceramic can handle high heat and is really tough so resists scratch.... (that is I would think those properties in general can be applied) :cool:

I would think they would be highly breakable, just in general. What kind of pans are we talking about?? Bake-ware like casseroles? Or fry-pans for stove top use? Let me do a bit of research........I will give a more detailed response.

PolishedTopaz said:
I would think they would be highly breakable, just in general.
It can be highly breakable, but then again the Le Cruset that you prize so much (and so do I :) ) is ceramic isn't it? As long as you are careful then they should last a long time. I am not specifically talking about these ceramic titanium nonstick pans though as I have never heard of them.

If you want something that you do not have to baby and be super careful with then go with stainless steel clad pans like All Clad. Yes they are expensive, but they are great. Also consider cast iron. They will last forever and you can not destroy them no matter what you do (except for letting them sit without drying them...rust ya know).

I have only one Le Cruset ceramic baking dish all my other peices are enamel/cast. I have to look for a back issue of CI mag, if memory serves they had the best results from Pyrex, which is also the cheapest:)

Ahhh sorry I don't know where my head was. I was thinking enamel, but typing ceramic LOL. I think it is time for a nap!

I guess you are referring to the Scanpan? I've heard many people say they love them but they have trouble with customer service - or at least good customer service - and wish they had not bought them. As far as how they cook I don't know anything. Sorry.

yuB - can you supply a brand name?

Ceramic/Enamel/Precelin lined are essentially the same thing ... depends on who is writing the ad copy.

PolishedTopaz said:
I have only one Le Cruset ceramic baking dish all my other peices are enamel/cast. I have to look for a back issue of CI mag, if memory serves they had the best results from Pyrex, which is also the cheapest:)

Ok.........Cook's Illustrated [my foodie bible] did a test on 13x9 bakeware and concluded that the pyrex was their prefered pan, winning because the clear glass made it easier to moniter browning. As far as bakeware [cassarole pans] in general I feel that one is no better than another overall. That's just my opinion. Sheetpans are another issue. Color and weight are contributing factors.

For stovetop use I don't think that ceramic will hold-up in the long run, they will get bumped and treated rougher overall than bakeware would. I will say again All Clad is the best bet dollar for dollar.

In your inital post you had said that you didn't like to repurchase over and over again, who would?? I always say............'buy the best you can afford, and ask for expensive items as gifts':smartass:

From what I read, the original Scan Pan was a great item. The ceramic non-stick surface was applied over a titanium base. In effect, the titanium bas was made with microscopic peaks and valleys. The ceramic filled the valleys, creating tiny peaks of titanium that any untensils would ride over, thus protecting the non-stic surface from abuse.

Again, from what I read, the manufacturing process was changed, with the latter being inferior to the original. Suppliers received so many complaints that they refused to service the latter made pans.

The idea is sound enough, but again, when money is the prime motivation for a company, and they let quality slide, we consumers suffer.

All of what I have just written is regurgitation of info I've read in other places. I have no actual experience with the product, so take everything with a grain of salt.

In reference to ceramics in general, there are ceramics that are far tougher than steel. They are expensive and used for special purpose applications. Ceramic piston rings create less wear on an internal combustion engine, and are resistant to heat related problems. Pump bearings made from ceramics are longer lasting than there steel counterparts, are more round, and are immune to corosives.

The problem with ceramics is that they have little or no elasticity, which means that they fail catastrophically when do fail. You can warp a steel pan. You will shatter a ceramic one.

Ceramics are harder, and knives made from them hold an edge forever, but can't be sharpened at home, and are more easily dammaged by shock, i.e. if you drop them accidently on the floor.

I believe Boca, sells knives that are a fusion of ceramics and titanium that give the hardness and superior edge retention of the ceramic blade, but with the added toughness of titanium. That just might be an excellent product. I'd like to test drive such a tool.

Ceramics aren't evil, or substandard for kitchen uses, but you must understand their strengths and limitations.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

PolishedTopaz said:
I would think they would be highly breakable, just in general. What kind of pans are we talking about?? Bake-ware like casseroles? Or fry-pans for stove top use? Let me do a bit of research........I will give a more detailed response.

Many of the highest threat level bullet proof vests use ceramic plates to stop rounds that can penetrate kevlar. No problems with the strength of ceramics!:blink:

Rob Babcock said:
No problems with the strength of ceramics!:blink:
This is not always true. Yes ceramics can be super strong, but not all are. The kind used in vests is not the same as what is used in the kitchen. Drop a ceramic knife on the floor after paying $200 for it and see what I mean. All the kings horses and all the kings men will never get that knife to work again.

wow, thanks everyone 4 lots of responses. :chef: I don't remember the actual maker of the product. I saw them promoting their ceramic titanium pans at COSTCO. Then I saw plasma... something.. from this forum. Sry, me memory not so good. Checked out their website, i think they use plasma desposition process to coat the titanium pans with ceramic. Not quite sure. Anyways, thanks for all the responses. I'm looking for a new set of cookware, and willing to try the expensive stuff if i can get enough people that confirm that quality = $$$. Thanks guys and gals.

:rolleyes:

Also, I'll try to post any research I can dig up. Like any ratings from consumer reports .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom