REC: Shepherds Pie TNT (Cottage Pie actually)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I made this tonight as it was stuff that I had in the house and I didn't feel like going out to the store. All ingredient amounts are estimates. This came out great. I can't wait to make it again.

I put 3 russet potatoes in cold water with salt and brought to a boil then let them cook for about 20 minutes. While those were cooking I browned about a lb of ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Once it started to get some color I added a large leek, sliced thin, also seasoned with salt. Once it was almost done i added about 2 or 3 tablespoons of pepperoncini's, diced. I cooked this until the beef was cooked through. Once the potatoes were cooked I drained and then kept on the hot pot, shaking, for a few minutes to dry out the potatoes. I then mashed with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, bleu cheese compound butter, whole milk, and about two handfuls of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I put the beef mixture in a baking dish and toped with the mashed potatoes. I spread it to cover the whole thing and then stuck it under the broiler until the potatoes got color. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.

Last edited:
GB, thank you , sounds great.

May I just make a suggestion, and I may be wrong here.

But to me a pie made with beef is a cottage pie, I believe the term shepherd's pie is reserved for those made with lamb.

I hate to be pedantic. ich poo spit, but what the heck else are you going to do when you can't get to sleep on a Sunday morning?:rolleyes:

Gb

I made this tonight as it was stuff that I had in the house and I didn't feel like going out to the store. All ingredient amounts are estimates. This came out great. I can't wait to make it again.
GB, this sounds as something I have made in the past, but could never duplicate again. It seems like it happens once and then what did I do wrong? Just goes to prove that if we do things 'exact' it turns out like it should. However, just winging it turns out better. Proves you are great cook when you take something that is available and make someting so palatable. Give yourself big pat on the back. You are great! Gives you incentive to have faith in yourself. Good job.

Thanks auntdot. While you are technically correct, I hate the name cottage pie. It makes me think of cottage cheese which I despise LOL. Since so many people use the name Shepherds Pie both ways (just Google Shepherds Pie to see what I mean) I decided to go with that, but I have updated the title of this thread thanks to your input since people on this board are more in tune to what it really is and should be called. Thanks again :chef:

In the UK, (where the dish originated) shepherd's pie is only cooked with lamb, and the beef version is known as cottage pie.

Also, cottage pie usually doesn't have cheese on the mashed potato topping, and some versions leave out the carrots, although my family recipe uses both in both types of dish!

Cottage pie to me conjures up pictures of picturesque English cottages, with thatched roof and roses round the door and an english cottage garden in front!

I put my family's version of Cottage pie on this site many months ago - not sure where it might be now since the reorganisation of the boards!

Ishbel said:
Cottage pie to me conjures up pictures of picturesque English cottages, with thatched roof and roses round the door and an english cottage garden in front!
This is a much better image than what I usually think of. Maybe I can retrain my brain to think of this instead of cottage cheese :mrgreen:

Yeah I know this recipe is not a traditional Cottage Pie. I was just using what I had on hand. I was proud that it came out so tasty because while I consider myself an accomplished amateur cook, one thing I have always struggled with was cooking without a recipe. I have been trying to do that more often so that I get better at it. This was my most successful attempt yet. I know it is not a traditional Cottage Pie, but it was easier to call it that then come up with another name. I can be sort of lazy like that LOL :LOL:

GB said:
LOL jkath, you rock!

beach%20rock%20js01.jpg
yes, and here I am to prove it:LOL:

pffffffttttt (that is the sound of me spitting my drink out all over the screen) LMAO!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GB
Your version sounds good!

I've also just remembered that if you use the beef recipe, and add carrots and swede to the meat mix and then put the mashed potatoes on top and then sprinkle with cheese and put it under the grill to brown the top - we call it Cumberland Pie (just to confuse the issue even more, you understand!)

I believe it is similar to what Americans call a rutabaga. It's a type of turnip - with orange flesh and a hard outer layer that you discard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom