Small cookware/serveware for single people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitkit

Assistant Cook
Hi..
I'm on my thesis research. I'm interesting in designing cookware/servaware for singles. I am wondering if singles out there can tell me what do u guys cook normally?

Do you like washing up? Have u ever eaten from your pot?

What do u really need in your cooking to eating agenda?

Thank you... your input will be really useful for my research...

Kitkit

First off, welcome to the site!

I am no longer single, but I will give you my input from what I remember. The usual cookware was fine for me, but the biggest problem I had was finding recipes for one person. I guess as far as cookware and accessories are concerned I would have wanted something convenient for storing and heating leftovers. that would have been the most useful type of things for me. And yes, washing up was the worst!!! anything to make that easier is a good thing :cool:

kitkit said:
Hi..
I'm on my thesis research. I'm interesting in designing cookware/servaware for singles. I am wondering if singles out there can tell me what do u guys cook normally?

Kitkit,
I'll be teaching a class at the school called "Cooking for Singles". Recipes are from "Cooking for Singles" book by Tom DiPaulo. I haven't seen any recipes yet but I can update you on the recipes when I get them. PM me for more information.

As far as cookware, I wouldn't get small pots and pans for yourself. Cause on of these days, you will need to cook for 2 or 3 and you don't have the equipment. Easier to cook for 1 with bigger pots and pans than cook for 2 in small pots and pans.

eric said:
I wouldn't get small pots and pans for yourself. Cause on of these days, you will need to cook for 2 or 3 and you don't have the equipment. Easier to cook for 1 with bigger pots and pans than cook for 2 in small pots and pans.
I couldn't agree with this more!

GB said:
I couldn't agree with this more!

Yeah, have you ever tried to cook spaghetti in a medium sized pot for 3 people? It just dosen't work!!:rolleyes: I didn't live on my own before I got married & when we finally lived on our own, there were 3 of us. I used pots & pans that were bought at thrift stores & yard sales for a long time & they were all too small. I agree that it's much better to have the equipment to cook for larger groups(you never know when you'll have company) & just cut the recipes down to servings for 1 or 2.

I agree about not buying small cookware. Except in the case of bakeware... you can't bake a small cake in a normal sized cake pan. I'm not single, but I often like to make desserts for just me and one other person. Rather than make a large cake I half or quarter the recipe and bake it in a mini cake pan. That way we can have a nice desert once in a while without having to eat leftover cake for the next few days and totally blow out diets.

Other good ideas maybe a mini lasagna pan... or pie tin for making individual quiches or deep dish pizzas? I'd suggest stuff like that. You may want to also look into small pans that can be used for cooking and baking in a toaster oven.

Also, I'd stay away from cheap non-stick pots and pans... When I just cook for myself I usually eat out of the pan (why dirty more dishes:mrgreen: ), so it's important to have pots that will hold up to being scratched and scraped by forks and spoons.

I'm not single any more, but I'm working on a cookbook aimed at singles and couples.

I rarely ate out of the pot. I guess that's just my culinary training taking over, as I always wanting to play with plating the meal and garnishing.

That said, I would usually make soups and stews in the winter, and eat leftovers for a few days. I found that those single-portion pasta bowls, the wide, low ones, worked great for a one-pot type meal, be it soup/stews, stir-fry, etc. I also have some plastic Chinese-patterned serving bowls that work well for the same purpose.

I have to agree with everyone else on the size of your pots and pans. Just because you're cooking for one, doesn't mean you need smaller pans. Granted, yes, I do have some small saucepans that can also double as small braising pans, but I also have 3 sizes of cast iron skillets, an 8", a 10", and a 12". I also have several size soup pots and stock pots.

Honestly, I would recommend that people start off buying a cast iron skillet or two, as they are very versatile, go from the stovetop to the oven and back to the stovetop, and with proper care, will last for decades.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention single-serving casserole dishes. These are great for small portions of lasagne and enchiladas.

Last edited:
:) even if you are cooking for one person whats wrong with cooking normal recipes and freezing single portions for later.

I'm single, I cook a wide variety of things, and I couldn't do it in a single serving size cook-n-eat cookware/serveware device. The nearest thing I had to that was when I was in the Boy Scouts, it was called a mess kit - but even that consisted of more than one piece of cookware. I still have one and use it when I go overnight camping by myself sometimes. But, it limits what, and how much, I can cook.

IMHO - I think you need to expand your research beyond asking us to give you ideas for inventing the next great "As Seen on TV- for only $19.95 + s&h" cooking gizmo and go to a few stores and look at what is already on the market. This way you can narrow down what would be a unique invention versus merely reinventing the wheel.

This is the 3rd incarnation of your "thesis question" ... which seems to change a bit each time ... but keeps going back to the basic question of what new cookware can you create. It seems that if you were really interested you would interact with people who have taken the time to answer your questions ... not just ignore them and go off and start another thread on the same topic, just worded a little differently.

Eat in the car and finish my burger and fries before I get out of the Burger King parking lot. No I have NEVER done that, really, I swear, NEVER :ROFLMAO: :-p

I wouldn't use the smaller pots and pans. I'm single, and I purchased a 10 quart mixer, commercial meat grinder, and commercial slicer simply because I can prepare my ingredients in advance, then store them for later use. I also have a 6 1/2 quart slow cooker (it's bigger than most). It is a lot easier for me to grab something that's already been fixed and is ready to heat up, than it is for me to have to cook every time I need to eat.

MrCoffee

I now cook for one, and use my two small cast iron skillets (6 and 8 inches) mostly. Have a small stainless saucepot for boiling potatoes or rice. I mostly roast stuff in the toaster oven. With the cast iron skillets, I can poach in them, using parchment paper tucked in. I have a small roaster which is really a sauce pot from Germany with only wingtips for handles. I agree it is the recipes. I ahve become quite efficient at cutting a recipe down for just one.

I am single during the week. (remember it stays in Las Vegas lol) A one qt pan is useful for a can of soup or a small amount of sauce, but even pasta for one requires a pot of several qts to boil the water. I would recommend a standard set of good pots and pans for anyone to sart cooking with. Good cookware is a lifetime investment. You won't waste your money.

If you're on a real budget, check out the clearance aisles and sales. Check onlline at cooking.com or chefscatalogue amazon.com and smartbargains. amazon has had some incredible prices on calphalon discontinued items.

I of course have more pots than I could use for any one meal, and that's the fun of it...choice! :chef:

to finish answering your question. a meal should be eaten sitting down. a single person should respect themselves enough to take the time to eat healthily and reasonably. and yes I enjoy the clean up too. I take care of my belongings. (If I lived in a junk yard I'd clean it up and make it hospitable!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom