Melted butter measurement? Before or After?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
If a recipe tells you to use 1/4 c butter, melted (in this case for a graham cracker crust) does it mean you measure 1/4 cup of butter THEN melt it? Or does it mean you melt it and then measure it?

Don't laugh at me, but this is driving me crazy! It can't be the same thing!

img_113925_0_2a9dd97a372230129ad5ead96ed630d3.gif

It is the same thing Jovin. Cut a 1/4 cup of butter and melt it in a measuring cup. You will see it is the same thing. Be careful not to let it overflow the cup though! I do that a lot!

Right on Alix, but I think when it comes to clairified butter, the measurement would be less as the 'foam' is removed. I do not make clairified butter, however, as I fail to see the purpose of it, realizing that when the foam is removed it will not burn as readily.

I didn't think it would measure the same though.

What is "clarified" butter? Thanks for your help, as always....

I'm so glad you guys live in my computer in case I need you once in awhile!

img_113943_0_7e9a7a64b69a31f80cf9e244582dfb8e.gif

clairified butter is melted butter with the 'foam' for forms on top removed, so it is just the oil, which has a higher smoke/burn point than regular butter. The Galloping Gourmet used to use clairified butter in his recipes. Personally, I have never done it, takes out some of the delicious taste of the butter.

Yep - Alix is right. Saying 1/4 cup butter, melted is just easier than saying 1/4 cup melted butter for a simple reason ... look at a stick of butter and you'll see how it is marked off. Instead of melting an unknown quantity of butter and then measuring out 1/4 cup ... a pound of butter (2 cups) comes in 4 sticks (1/2 cup each) ... and a 1/4 cup would be a 1/2 stick. So, just cut off 1/2 a stick and melt it.

Clarified butter is different ... it removes the moisture (water) and the milk solids from the butterfat.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your help.

I always feels so stupid with the questions I ask, but you guys are always very tolerant of me. I appreciate it very much.

img_113955_0_2f864b6ed176f3955267e1cad020d9b3.gif

Okay...another question then...

I'm going to make a cherry cheesecake and do the graham cracker crust. Which way to make the crust is best..to bake it or chill it. I have to drive an hour away tomorrow with this so I'm hoping one is better for staying together than the other.

Any opinons on which is the one I should do?

you're welcome. as a matter of fact i think it was elf who said there is no such thing as a stupid question in here. and you know what... there's really not. if you don't ask, how are you supposed to know?

another question.

it says to "chill" the graham cracker crust for 45 minutes...do I put it in the freezer for a bit, or just the fridge...can't see how refrigerator will be enough.

usually that means to put it in the fridge jovin. but if you feel better going with the freezer go ahead.

Last edited:
I just know this crust isn't going to work out.

I copied some of the recipes from an early thread here where I'd asked for this recipe for my cousin....I took an average for the crust as to the amounts of graham cracker crumbs and such..and butter...but I've already had to add more.

Thanks, I think I'll probably do half the time in the freezer and half the time in the fridge...

I've made a lot of cheesecakes ... and I think baking the crust makes it a little too hard/crisp. "... it says to 'chill' the graham cracker crust for 45 minutes..." it doesn't say FREEZE it does it? FOLLOW THE RECIPE! Mix your graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter, form the crust in the pan, and then refridgerate it. All you're trying to do is firm up the butter - not turn it into ice.

If a recipe instruction is properly written, there can be a difference.

For example:

A cup of heavy cream, whipped. Is different from a cup of whipped heavy cream. It may not always make a difference, but it can.

Michael, be easy with me...I'm very sensitive!

and inclined to be "simple minded" ...I know I just have to make these ridiculous comments. I don't know why.Thanks for helping me out.

You have the patience of a saint (hopefully) :LOL:

Sorry, Jovin - I certainly didn't mean to sound mean. :(

But, I didn't really say what I ment to say in the manner that I intended to say it, either. :mad:

What I ment to say was ... don't sweat it - the refridgerator will do just fine. All you're trying to do is cool the butter down so that it gets solid again. If you want to pop it in the freezer, that would also work ... but you'll probably only need about 20-minutes to accomplish the same thing as 30-45 minutes in the 'fridge.

Back
Top Bottom