Boston Cream Candy-TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
I think this is also called 'opera fudge' sometimes; ooooold recipe - maybe even from an old Fanny Farmer cookbook. Be sure you eat your Wheaties the day you make these - lots of beating required!

BOSTON CREAM CANDY

makes 1 pound

4T unsalted butter
2/3 cup chopped pecans
2 cups sugar
pinch salt
½ cup light Karo syrup
¼ cup half/half
¼ cup Heavy cream
3/4tsp. baking soda
1tsp. vanilla

Butter an 8x8 pan and line with parchment large enough to hang over sides. Butter the paper.

Combine sugar, salt, Karo half/half, cream and butter in heavy 3 quart pan; stirring with spoon over low heat til sugar is completely dissolved. Turn to medium andcook, stirring, til mixture foams to a boil. Add baking soda; lower heat and stir; mixture will double in volume, then gradually subside and begin to look golden. After mixture settles put in a candy thermometer. Continue to stir, scraping sides and bottom of pan over medium low heat til thermometer reaches 240. Remove before it passes 240. Remove from heat and take out thermometer. Continue to stir quickly. Candy will look like a loose caramel sauce. Add vanilla and stir carefully to incorporate; add pecans and continue stirring; watch and feel as it thickens, lightens in color and becomes harder to stir. When it begins to leave a path on the bottom of the pan and loses glossy shine, pour into buttered pan. Cool and cut into squares.

:ohmy: This looks very close to an old secret family recipe that we have. Very rich and good! Thanks Marmalady.:)

Oh boy, this looks like heaven. I am copying and sending it to my Auntie, she will LOVE this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom