REC: Deep Fried Twinkies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I found this on the ABC News website after seeing the happy birthday twinkie thread

For Twinkies:
• 6 Twinkies
• Popsicle sticks
• 4 cups vegetable oil
• Flour for dusting

For batter:

•1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons vinegar
• 1 Tablespoon oil
• 1 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Twinkie Directions

1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.

2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.

Batter Directions

1. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil. 2. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. 3. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. 4. Refrigerate while oil heats. 5. Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. 6. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake. 7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. 8. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. 9. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most. 10. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6.

Variation: Slice Twinkie into 4 pieces. Flour and batter each before frying. With this treatment, one Twinkie will serve two people if accompanied by a sauce.

Berry Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 10-ounce jar of seedless raspberry preserves
• 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries

Directions:

1. In a saucepan, heat preserves over low heat until melted.
2. Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries.
3. Heat until sauce just simmers.
4. Cover; refrigerate until served.

How fun would this be for kids?! (Providing the grown-up is doing the deep-frying)
It would be fun to fry them all up, and then let the kids have an array of toppings, so they could all make their own masterpieces.

Exactly, get some whip cream and different sprinkles... my kids liked making Christmas cookies for this reason.

I'm sorry... but, I had these at the fair a few years ago and double ick.
I love twinkies and was very excited to try this but, really I thought they were gross.

I'll stick to the frozen kind that I love so well.

That's the good thing about food though... we can all like what we like
and hate what we hate. There are so many choices out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom