Your QUICKEST soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Here's mine:

Broccoli Corn Chowder

1 lb. frozen hash brown potato cubes
1 head broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp butter, divided
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cans creamed corn
2 cans evaporated milk
1 lb. cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
cheddar cheese, grated

Put potatoes in a soup kettle, and add drinking water till just covered. Heat on high, stirring now and then till it is boiling. Meanwhile, put broccoli and 1 tbsp butter into microwave in a covered dish. Cook about 5-8 minutes, till somewhat tender.
Add broccoli to potatoes, then mix in remaining ingredients. Heat thoroughly. (add salt & pepper if needed) Top each individual bowl with a handful of grated cheddar cheese.

Quick Shrimp Bisque

4 tbsp butter
1 carrot diced small
1 celery stalk diced
1 shallot diced
12 large UNPEELED shrimp
1 tsp chopped chives
5 tbsp flour
4 cups stock (I use boiling water and a pkg of shrimp flavouring from a Mr Noodle pkg)
1/2 cup hot light cream
salt and pepper to taste

Place butter, veggies and shrimp into casserole dish. Microwave for 8 minutes. Remove shrimp and shell. Set shrimp and shells aside. Add seasonings and flour to the veggies, mix well. Place stock and shrimp shells in casserole. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes. Chop shrimp while this cooks. Pass mixture through sieve with pestle and pour into tureen, add chopped shrimp and heated cream. Heat uncovered for 2 minutes. Season and garnish to taste.
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as a lunch meal.

Alix - I've never cooked shrimp (don't eat seafood) but this is something my son may like. Here's a silly question though - Are the shells in the stock to add flavor to it? and is that why you pass it through a sieve?
Thanks!

Yes to the shells in stock question. The pestle also squishes the veggies so that everything is nice and smooth.

I think you could make this using chicken if you wanted to. It would be a nice creamy chicken soup. Mmmmm, I think I may try that one myself now.

lol jkath. because of the title, i read your recipe like the guy who reads the legal disclaimers at the end of commercials. (i wonder if he ever uses up all of his cell phone minutes? :rolleyes: )

:

my fastest soup would be escarole e fagiole.

3 tbsps evoo
7 cloves of garlic
1 head of escarole, washed and chopped
1 large can of cannelini beans
2 large cans of chicken or veggie stock
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
hunk o' locatelli cheese
crusty italian bread

thin slice (not smashed and chopped) 7 large cloves of garlic. put 3 tablespoons of evoo in a kettle on medium heat. sautee the garlic until golden. add escarole, beans, and stock (and enough water to cover if necessary). bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or so, until the escarole is limp. add salt and pepper to taste. when serving, shave a healthy amount of locatelli cheese over the soup, drizzle with a little more evoo, and serve with crusty bread and sweet butter.

Mom's Chicken Noodle

2 C Chicken Broth
2-3 Nests of Angel hair pasta
1 Egg
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and Pepper.

Bring the broth to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until done. Season with S&P.

Separately, whisk the egg and lemon juice together.

When the noodles are cooked, add the broth and noodles to the egg mixture, using the tempering process to prevent curdling.

Adjust seasonings and serve.

My quickest....

go to cupboard
grap can of chicken noodle
open can
throw in pan
add one can water
heat on stove.

lol.

LMAO pdswife! I like it!

Thanks for the info buckytom. I can get the pecorino romano. Just never heard of locatelli. Just one more reason to love this place. I learn at least one thing every day.

My quickest (and one of my favorites) is 1 lb ground sirloin, browned and drained (or made into meatballs, browned and drained). A large can of tomatoes, squished, a package of frozen veggies (corn, beans, carrots, etc) a package of seasoning veggies (celery, onions, etc) a handful of macaroni, or rice, or a potato cut into cubes. Cook for about 30 minutes and season to taste. Serve with cornbread. PS - you may need to add a bit of water to the right consistency.

Last edited:
My husband has you two beat - open can and eat soup out of can - EVEN cream of whatever - :sick:

I'd say my quickest soup is

equal parts tomato sauce and cream
fresh thyme sprigs
heat but do not boil until thyme flavor imparts (about 30 or so minutes on a lower heat)

Remove fresh thyme sprigs
Add basil chiffonade and heat for about 10 minutes.

It's easy and it hits the spot!!

just make sure you don't buy condensed soup!

i did that once on a winter snowshoe/backpacking trip. i brought a big can of clam chowder. after heating it in the fire, i tried to eat it as is, from the can. it was so thick and salty; it was pretty bad. then i realized that it was supposed to be mixed with a can of water. unfortunately, i didn't bring a mess kit, so i had no way to add the water, so i just ate it while drinking a lot of water...

Quick Corn Chowder

Fry 2 slices bacon; remove and drain

Add 1 onion to bacon drippings and saute.

Add 1 can cream style corn, 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup and 1 soup can milk.

Heat through and crumble bacon over each serving

Ok then, here's a serious recipe then that I've simplified and is actually is fairly quick and easy to make.

Asparagus Soup "Cappucino" with Truffle Foam

Yield: approx 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

For the Soup:

1 lb. Fresh, good quality Asparagus Spears
3 c. Chicken or Vegetable stock, heated to a simmer
1 c. Heavy Cream, scalded
Kosher Salt to Taste

For the Truffle Foam:

1/2 c. Heavy Cream
2-3 Tbsp. Truffle Oil

Method:

For the Soup:
Heat all liquids accordingly. Cut off fiberous ends of the aspargus and blanch in lightly salted boiling water until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Drain well (do not shock in cold water), cut into 1" pieces, and add to a blender. Add the stock and puree until smooth. Add the heavy cream and puree until blended and smooth. Season to taste with the salt and strain through a cheesecloth or fine sieve. Reheat if not serving immediately, but do not boil.

For the Truffle Foam:
Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until scalded. Add the truffle oil and gently mix until the oil is incorporated into the cream. Transfer truffle-cream into a CO2 cannister, or use a frother to foam. Use immediately.

To Serve:
Portion the soup into 4-6 cappucino/coffee mugs. Spoon/spray the truffle foam evenly over each portion. Serve immediately.

Back
Top Bottom