The Way We Make it in the UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I know this isn't pure Texas Chili and wouldn't even probably be accepted in the Southwest. But it sure does fill the belly, & tastes incredible. I'll make no apologies for it. This is how my chili is supposed to look. :cool:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Attachments

• chili1.JPG
    chili1.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 276
Goodweed I have to say that looks delicious! I love that deep red color. I can just taste it now. Once question. I am having trouble seeing what those light color things are. Are they chick peas?

GB; That's not chick peas. Those light things will suprise you. They are white hominy. I hated hominy the first time I tried it. But then many years later, at our Pow Wow, I tried some corn soup that had been made with white hominy and I was hooked. It has a mild, fresh corn-tortila flavor, and goes wonderfully in the chili. I also like to break up fresh corn-trotillas and put them in my bowl. The flavors of the tomatoe, chili powder, and herbs & spices complement each other so well.

The deep color comes from the chili powder and a bit of unsweetened chocolate (which again is added to increase the depth of flavor). The pictured batch came out very good. The spices & herbs added include hot-chili powder, coreander, dried chilies, garlic, dried bay leaves, and celery leaves. The veggies include canned whole tomatoes, chopped onion, sliced celery, pinto beans, kidney beans, white hominy, and jsut a bit of sweet corn to remove some of the tomatoes tartness.

The meat is lean ground beef, browned.

As I say, this isn't the southwestern, award winning competition chili, the is the Upper-Peninsula, midwestern style chili. And is it ever great when the weather turns a bit chilly, like it is right now. :cool:

White hominy, what a great idea! I have never tried it, but I can guess what it is like from descriptions I have heard. I actually add a little polenta to my chili. Would that be sort of similar? I like the flavor and texture it adds.

I feel like I can almost taste it from the picture. I wish I could taste it for real :)

GOODWEED!!!!!!!!!!! How could you post such a horrible picture - it's horrible because the backdrop is not MY table nor is it MY bowl - which means I am NOT eating it! Just like BBQ, chili is a regional thing and a personal thing. No right way, no wrong way, just the way YOU like it and I think I like YOUR way too!

Thanks for the compliments. I'm gonna have a hard time getting out of the door this morning (swelled head syndrom :) ). Make yourself up some chili, the way you like it and post us a picture, and I'm talking both GB and Kitchen Elf. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom